it has to be said....

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: it has to be said....

Post by aubergine18 »

*quickly learns Python...*
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

lux
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lux »

alphamax86 wrote:
lux wrote:
alphamax86 wrote:yeah its nice to talk about what different programming languages etc bud that is not the issue the game works and with adding a lot of new features without first completing old ones (or at least not the right way) makes for a cluster F in malfunctioning features which paying customers are not satisfied with,

long story short. Its one thing to be willing to give your players new content its a whole other thing to have 100 beta's running while the main game is still at version 0.01...
So among the "100s of betas" that are "not done right", did you find any meaningful feedback or suggestions to share? or did you just come here to troll?
it's just a way of me saying why go so far ahead when the gremlins are not yet tamed to a way you like them to be or your customers which in the long run will be more important than your own opinion ofc. i worked at CCP for a while (8 years) and we did just that hard lesson learned player base shrinking we had to bring production to a near dead stop and take a year just fixing stuff making sure that everything worked like it should work and mainly satisfy the player.
I'd like to point out you have yet to provide a single piece of constructive feedback or suggestion.
Most people would call that trolling.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Can we just close this topic? it's become non-productive.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Someone will just start it again. Because the OP is right.

Selesthiel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Selesthiel »

credomane wrote:
HanziQ wrote:Or how about no? I don't see a reason why anyone should use PHP for anything.
There is nothing wrong with PHP. Every language has quirks and issues. Don't go dismissing a language because you don't like it. :/
I agree with HanziQ. There are a lot of objectively bad design decisions in PHP. This article lays it all out much better than I would, but I think the intro sums it up pretty well:
I can’t even say what’s wrong with PHP, because— okay. Imagine you have uh, a toolbox. A set of tools. Looks okay, standard stuff in there.

You pull out a screwdriver, and you see it’s one of those weird tri-headed things. Okay, well, that’s not very useful to you, but you guess it comes in handy sometimes.

You pull out the hammer, but to your dismay, it has the claw part on both sides. Still serviceable though, I mean, you can hit nails with the middle of the head holding it sideways.

You pull out the pliers, but they don’t have those serrated surfaces; it’s flat and smooth. That’s less useful, but it still turns bolts well enough, so whatever.

And on you go. Everything in the box is kind of weird and quirky, but maybe not enough to make it completely worthless. And there’s no clear problem with the set as a whole; it still has all the tools.

Now imagine you meet millions of carpenters using this toolbox who tell you “well hey what’s the problem with these tools? They’re all I’ve ever used and they work fine!” And the carpenters show you the houses they’ve built, where every room is a pentagon and the roof is upside-down. And you knock on the front door and it just collapses inwards and they all yell at you for breaking their door.

That’s what’s wrong with PHP.
It's all about choosing the best tool for the job, and I have yet to come up with a scenario where PHP would be a better tool for building a server (web or API) than node.js, python, or ruby. And PHP can be a shell script language, too, but I can't imagine using it over Bash, node.js, or python.

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”