it has to be said....

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
alphamax86
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

it has to be said....

Post by alphamax86 »

Hi all,

Am i really the only one here who thinks the Mod portal SUCKS ASS

it is so much worse than the "http://www.factoriomods.com/" page was and lets be honest that was one big mess... bud this mod portal is so much much much worse

Just had to say it sorry very much love the game though :)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: it has to be said....

Post by Koub »

I trust the mod portal will evolve as Factorio evolves. I'm sure Factorio v0.1 was a lot crappier than it is now, and look at the hell of a game it is now ;)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

While the mod portal has some small issues overall it works. The biggest thing holding back improvements to the mod portal is this

https://www.factorio.com/job/python-developer

Rockstar04
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rockstar04 »

Nexela wrote:While the mod portal has some small issues overall it works. The biggest thing holding back improvements to the mod portal is this

The biggest problem with the biggest problem is
Live in Prague or nearby in the Czech Republic.
;)

alphamax86
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alphamax86 »

Rockstar04 wrote:
Nexela wrote:While the mod portal has some small issues overall it works. The biggest thing holding back improvements to the mod portal is this

;)

Ulgh never heard of remote working stations i guess.....

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Maybe use php instead python?
Never heard of a web backend with python - i see it more like a linux console script language.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

I'm not convinced a permanent web developer will be long-term beneficial for Wube Software... not unless they are planning to get in to web development. IMO it would make more sense to hire a contractor on an as-needed basis - more costly in the short-term, but much less costly in the long-term. It would help keep projects short and focussed on getting stuff done and then moving on, rather than the situation that could arise whereby a full-time web dev ends up spending lots of time dreaming up ever more convoluted ways to fill the hours once the initial maintenance/upgrade work is done.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by HanziQ »

steinio wrote:Maybe use php instead python?
Or how about no? I don't see a reason why anyone should use PHP for anything.

credomane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by credomane »

HanziQ wrote:Or how about no? I don't see a reason why anyone should use PHP for anything.
There is nothing wrong with PHP. Every language has quirks and issues. Don't go dismissing a language because you don't like it. :/

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

While PHP has improved in recent years, it's somewhat lagging behind other languages. That being said, these forums are PHP based and are incredibly fast (I assume due to extensive caching and HTTP 2.x goodness).
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

But with luck the developers find a php coder faster then a python coder and we get the mod portal we deserve at last.

View unread Posts

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

HanziQ wrote:Or how about no? I don't see a reason why anyone should use PHP for anything.
I tell you some: I've a house with a big garden, a car, cats, a wife (but she has her own job), and I don't have to starve.
And the truth is: It works for all PHP programmers I know, but I cannot say that to many Phython-programmers I know. :lol:

Ok, more seriously. In fact my opinion is this:
- Every programming language can be misused. Indeed you can program wonderful clear code in PHP - if you know how. And you can program super ugly code in Java. Not to mention C++. The problem with PHP is: It's used too often by people, who don't know how.
- Never use a programming language, cause you know it. Choose the right programming language for the right project. You wouldn't also use a hammer for everything.

And before we discuss: Using Python for the mod-portal is a good choice. No question. Maybe others are more useful, but who knows?

PS: Yes, the trend goes away from PHP, especially in big industrial projects I'm working, that's the reason why I learn Lua and Go-lang (my 8th and 9th programming language).
But, hey, that may take some time: https://w3techs.com/technologies/overvi ... nguage/all
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

lux
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lux »

credomane wrote:
There is nothing wrong with PHP. Every language has quirks and issues. Don't go dismissing a language because you don't like it. :/
Actually there is a big problem: "In 2013, 9% of all vulnerabilities listed by the National Vulnerability Database were linked to PHP, historically, about 30% of all vulnerabilities listed since 1996 in this database are linked to PHP." - source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP#Security. PHP (and the LAMP stack as a whole) did introduce a lot of people to web development (myself included), which is great a great thing for the internet, but there are good reasons to move to greener pastures. Languages like ruby and python provide the same flexibility for scripting, better standard libraries and documentation, and a very strong set of frameworks that make them ideally suited for web development. The only good reason to use PHP for a new project if you have a team of veteran PHP engineers (or if you are facebook, but even there, some people refuse to write php).

For a custom site that is rich in interactivity, most people are building single page javascript applications these days. Webpack / React / Redux / and many others: there is a huge eco-system that has sprung up in the few years. But with that kind of architecture, what language you write the backend starts to matter a lot less - phoenix/elixir looks pretty awesome, but Python is certainly fine, especially if you have senior folks on staff.

I did like that the earlier mod portal was open source, but it is worth the trade-off to lose a few features in order to get in-game integration. What would probably be most helpful is to list specific things you miss. For me personally the biggest issues are
a) the thumbnails do not work at all (in chrome)
b) lack of sub-categorization, top level categorization could be improved
c) it would be nice to have more views onto the mods such as popular in last 3/7/30/60/180 days, or highest rated, or "people who use this mod also use x,y,z.."

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

The damn search is not working probably because the Ajax call fails.

View unread Posts

alphamax86
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alphamax86 »

yeah its nice to talk about what different programming languages etc bud that is not the issue the game works and with adding a lot of new features without first completing old ones (or at least not the right way) makes for a cluster F in malfunctioning features which paying customers are not satisfied with,

long story short. Its one thing to be willing to give your players new content its a whole other thing to have 100 beta's running while the main game is still at version 0.01...

lux
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lux »

alphamax86 wrote:yeah its nice to talk about what different programming languages etc bud that is not the issue the game works and with adding a lot of new features without first completing old ones (or at least not the right way) makes for a cluster F in malfunctioning features which paying customers are not satisfied with,

long story short. Its one thing to be willing to give your players new content its a whole other thing to have 100 beta's running while the main game is still at version 0.01...
So among the "100s of betas" that are "not done right", did you find any meaningful feedback or suggestions to share? or did you just come here to troll?

alphamax86
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alphamax86 »

lux wrote:
alphamax86 wrote:yeah its nice to talk about what different programming languages etc bud that is not the issue the game works and with adding a lot of new features without first completing old ones (or at least not the right way) makes for a cluster F in malfunctioning features which paying customers are not satisfied with,

So among the "100s of betas" that are "not done right", did you find any meaningful feedback or suggestions to share? or did you just come here to troll?
it's just a way of me saying why go so far ahead when the gremlins are not yet tamed to a way you like them to be or your customers which in the long run will be more important than your own opinion ofc. i worked at CCP for a while (8 years) and we did just that hard lesson learned player base shrinking we had to bring production to a near dead stop and take a year just fixing stuff making sure that everything worked like it should work and mainly satisfy the player.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Uh, from what I've seen Wube are ninjas when it comes to fixing stuff. Almost every release they fix way more bugs than the release creates, even going to so far as to fix bugs in the modding API (which most other game devs tend to leave until after final release, and then never really fix - Prison Architect being a great example). The bug reporting forum on this site is by far the most well maintained I've seen on any site - every single bug responded to, every single bug categorised once investigated, forums constantly updated to clarify progress of bugfixing...

The mod portal is a different matter, because they have a lack of available resource in that area, but I don't doubt that at some point they'll kick it in to shape (it's already pretty good despite the grinding thread blocking issues).

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mooklepticon »

alphamax86 wrote:Hi all,

Am i really the only one here who thinks the Mod portal SUCKS ASS

it is so much worse than the "http://www.factoriomods.com/" page was and lets be honest that was one big mess... bud this mod portal is so much much much worse

Just had to say it sorry very much love the game though :)
Jeez, could you find a more dick-ish way to say that? Saying "Sorry" after being a jackass like that doesn't make it any better because it's insincere.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

Rockstar04 wrote:

;)
Most people looking for that kind of work will be young and male. Have you seen the quality of young ladies in the Czech Republic? Many of whom can no doubt speak English and would love to talk to the exotic new guy in town. The weathers decent, lovely countryside and living is cheaper than where you probably are. If I was 30 years younger that's the sort of opportunity I'd leap at.

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”