Need an account to download mods?

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
mickael9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Need an account to download mods?

Post by mickael9 »

Hi,

I'm currently writing a command line mod manager for the mod portal, and I noticed that downloading mods requires an account.
I can't understand why that would be required, is that really necessary ?

Not considering the third party app thing, as a server administrator, I should be able to simply "wget" a mod file without having to first download it in the browser and transfer it over the server.

I think that's a reasonable thing to ask.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Need an account to download mods?

Post by ssilk »

It's necessary as a little kind of copy-protection for Factorio. :)

viewtopic.php?f=189&t=28215

Logging in guarantees also, that download counts are correct.

BTW: wget allows also to send session cookies - as browsers. I don't see a problem, it's just a bit more work.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

They probably just don't want to pay for bandwidth for people that don't even own the game.

ssilk wrote:Logging in guarantees also, that download counts are correct.
That doesn't really make sense.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok, currently not, that is correct. But a modder can download his mod like 1000 times, so that he rises his download counts by factors. Good portals forbid such kind of raise. And this is much easier, if you need to authorize.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Oh, I see what you mean. That's definitely a good idea.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Oh yes ! I was wondering why my WaterWell mod that was downloaded more than 30.000 times from the old 0.12 factorio site was now only downloaded less than 2000 times on 0.13.
The solution is right here : 94% of factorio players are not legit. ;)
Hope this will encourage them to buy this nice game, because the devs deserve it.

But as many modders still publish their mods on github, there will still be leaks...
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

apriori
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by apriori »

He-he))) I was playing torrent-edition of Factorio until author of Bucket Wheel Excavator stopped submitting updates here. So I freaked out and bought the game. :lol: And you know, it has been the best purchase since the beginning of this year.
Any code or mods posted by me are WTFPL, unless otherwise copyrights are specified.

lolman360
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lolman360 »

I just really dislike this idea. It irritates me, seeing that I just want to see how the new version of factorio mods are coded but I cant even download them.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

lolman360 wrote:I just really dislike this idea. It irritates me, seeing that I just want to see how the new version of factorio mods are coded but I cant even download them.
Sure you can download them, just buy the game.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Zeblote wrote:Sure you can download them, just buy the game.
:lol: Love this one !
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

Natha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Natha »

ssilk wrote:BTW: wget allows also to send session cookies - as browsers. I don't see a problem, it's just a bit more work.
How is that possible? I tried many options like --save-cookie, --keep-session-ccokie, --post-data etc, but it wont work. I think the problem is with the csrf token.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Natha wrote:
ssilk wrote:BTW: wget allows also to send session cookies - as browsers. I don't see a problem, it's just a bit more work.
How is that possible? I tried many options like --save-cookie, --keep-session-ccokie, --post-data etc, but it wont work. I think the problem is with the csrf token.
About a decade ago when I made some crawler for a site that required login, I got the cookie from my browser. Of course, that was a manual process but I imagine with a bit of work you can integrate a browser in your application that makes people log in to the portal and you can get cookies from there. Alternatively, you could just intercept the post commands browser would send to the server for login and send the username/password that the user enters somewhere like that.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

binbinhfr wrote:Oh yes ! I was wondering why my WaterWell mod that was downloaded more than 30.000 times from the old 0.12 factorio site was now only downloaded less than 2000 times on 0.13.
Hope this will encourage them to buy this nice game, because the devs deserve it.
While I'm al for people buying the game. I don't think the difference in these numbers is just piracy vs legit copies. It's also search engine crawlers that get a huge number of downloads, unless you protect against that.

But IMHO, more importantly it's a huge hassle to get this account. First you encounter it ingame that asks you to login, then you go to a website to sign up, then you need to link it to steam (which is difficult to find), and then login at both the website and ingame. Especially for a casual player with steam this is a very bad experience, and feels redundant.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Daid wrote:
binbinhfr wrote:Oh yes ! I was wondering why my WaterWell mod that was downloaded more than 30.000 times from the old 0.12 factorio site was now only downloaded less than 2000 times on 0.13.
While I'm al for people buying the game. I don't think the difference in these numbers is just piracy vs legit copies. It's also search engine crawlers that get a huge number of downloads, unless you protect against that.

But IMHO, more importantly it's a huge hassle to get this account. First you encounter it ingame that asks you to login, then you go to a website to sign up, then you need to link it to steam (which is difficult to find), and then login at both the website and ingame. Especially for a casual player with steam this is a very bad experience, and feels redundant.
Steam users can create an account from within the game,
And in general i have seen very few complaints about this system

kotomaran
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kotomaran »

Played torrent-edition nearly a year (never paid for early access since there is so many abandon-ware). Was so excited about this game! Considered buying after release. But this move from devs totally frustrated me. I see where you're going. Factorio forgotten.

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by HanziQ »

kotomaran wrote:Played torrent-edition nearly a year (never paid for early access since there is so many abandon-ware). Was so excited about this game! Considered buying after release. But this move from devs totally frustrated me. I see where you're going. Factorio forgotten.
I would suggest not admitting to pirating the game and not buying it afterwards on the official forums, some moderators or developers might not appreciate that.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

HanziQ wrote:
kotomaran wrote:Played torrent-edition nearly a year (never paid for early access since there is so many abandon-ware). Was so excited about this game! Considered buying after release. But this move from devs totally frustrated me. I see where you're going. Factorio forgotten.
I would suggest not admitting to pirating the game and not buying it afterwards on the official forums, some moderators or developers might not appreciate that.
At least it's not from those scamsites.
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

HanZie82
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by HanZie82 »

I don't think the Dev's mind their game being pirated. (edit= because its only a small margin, but im just guessing here.)
They do mind having their bandwidth used up by non paying people.
But thats just what i think.

Also keep in mind pirates are the ones that usually spend the most money on games. But they do have higher demands. (like being able to try out the full game as is, and not a nonsense demo or trial.)

Yes i do pirate games, no i don't keep playing them without paying. I'm smart enough to know if i want good games i need to invest!

I hope i opened up some minds by this comment, I also wanted to link to a comment that showed Pirates usually spend like 300% more on games than any other person, but its my 1st post so you'll just have to google it yourself.

Be well, and nice to each other.

namek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by namek »

Those who are unable to download mods from mods.factorio.com for whatever reason, ask me, I will upload them to anyone. I'm also against this move. PM will be the fastest way to notify me.

If you have a place to store them or mirror them I will collaborate.
Diagonal Factorio
Can't download a mod from mods.factorio.com ? or want to mirror it somewhere else? I'll upload somewhere or directly send them to You.

Resistance.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

For external tool, you can read token from player-data.json and use it to download the mod. This will work only if the player logged in the game, though.

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”