IDEA: Email notification on discussion

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

IDEA: Email notification on discussion

Post by Boogieman14 »

(I did a brief search through thread titles and didn't see this listed, unless it's hidden somewhere in one of the multi-idea dump posts)

I would find it very useful if the mod portal would send me an email if someone added or replied to a discussion for a mod I posted. In periods when I'm not actively playing the game, I'm also unlikely to visit the site or forum regularly. At the same time, I don't want to abandon my mod(s), so this notification would help me keep in touch with "my" community. (and I imagine folks with a host of mods will appreciate some kind of notification as well, although perhaps only in a periodic summary and not for each individual new post)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Versepelles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Any way to receive notifications from the mod portal?

Post by Versepelles »

Is there currently a way to receive notifications from the mod portal when players post under the "Discussion" section? If not, where could one post to request this feature?

Merged from modding discussions

Zinal
Inserter
Inserter

Re: IDEA: Email notification on discussion

Post by Zinal »

I second this idea/suggestion.
Trying to keep up with all the mod discussions on the mod portal is really annoying without any kind of notification.
Having to manually jump around the different mods to find a new/updated suggestion is really inconvenient.

I found it so inconvenient that I actually created my own email notification system using my own web-server and Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey. (See: viewtopic.php?f=189&t=30631)
This is only a temporary solution until (hopefully) the email notification gets implemented. (If anyone would like to use the same system right now, just send me a message)
Last edited by Zinal on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Yes this is something we would like to implement, and some extension to the discussions features also,

We are currently search for a python developer to help us, but until we find someone nothing can be done

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

As an end-user (and soon-to-be modder) I'd like something more like github notifications, with the option of having notifications emailed to me. When viewing the mod portal, it would somehow indicate at top (message icon?) that I have unread messages. Clicking the icon shows me a list of unread messages - This could be new comments in discussions I've participated in (either as end-user or mod dev), updates to mods I'm subscribed to, new topics in mods I've posted, etc.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

Klonan wrote:Yes this is something we would like to implement, and some extension to the discussions features also,

We are currently search for a python developer to help us, but until we find someone nothing can be done
Any progress?
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

I would alternatively like an option to disable the discussion tab on the mod pages.

A support forum without automatic notification is worse than no support forum at all. It only serves as a trap for new users who do not know, that nobody will be informed about their urgent problem with a mod.
And we already can link a support thread from a real forum (like this one) as our mod's homepage.

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”