[IDEA] Show latest version on the right-hand side

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[IDEA] Show latest version on the right-hand side

Post by bigyihsuan »

Currently, the mod portal only has the major Factorio version number (0.12 or 0.13), and no mod versions. Having a more specific Factorio version would make it easier to see if a mod is for 0.12.xx, 0.12.1, 0.12.35, or 0.13.3. 0.12's later versions had major scripting changes, so just having "0.12" doesn't tell you if the mod was made pre-change or post-change.

Also, the right side should display the latest mod version. Currently, it doesn't say that, and even though you can update mods via the in-game mod portal, but for people with bad internet (like me, currently), the better way is to download and delete the updated mods manually, and there's no way of telling if a mod is the latest version without going in-game.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [IDEA] Show latest version on the right-hand side

Post by ssilk »

Good idea. I also want to point to this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28033 Compatibility of Mods: Introduce API version
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Shadow_Man
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shadow_Man »

+1
And reviving old post.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Shadow_Man wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:11 pm
+1
And reviving old post.
For what reason?

Shadow_Man
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shadow_Man »

Klonan wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:16 pm
Shadow_Man wrote:
+1
And reviving old post.
For what reason?
Seeing the version of the mod on the right side of the information window on the mod portal can be even more useful and convenient than the version of Factorio for which the mod is suitable.

For example:

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Shadow_Man wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:52 pm
Klonan wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:16 pm
Shadow_Man wrote:
+1
And reviving old post.
For what reason?
Seeing the version of the mod on the right side of the information window on the mod portal can be even more useful and convenient than the version of Factorio for which the mod is suitable.

For example:
Your image example seems to be different from what the thread is about. You appear to be showing the mod’s version number, whereas I believe the thread was about showing the game revision number, not just major.minor.

Personally, I don’t see the point behind having the mod version number visible from the main list on the mod portal.

Having the game revision number shown there I think has limited application. Most mods don’t have an issue where they’re only for x.xx.xx and up (but rather just x.xx). Honestly, I feel like if a mod has a requirement of that specific of a version, they really should list it outright.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:47 pm
Your image example seems to be different from what the thread is about. You appear to be showing the mod’s version number, whereas I believe the thread was about showing the game revision number, not just major.minor.
Second paragraph of OP is about showing mod versions. Only the first is about the game version.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Silari wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:07 am
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:47 pm
Second paragraph of OP is about showing mod versions. Only the first is about the game version.
Ah, not sure how I missed that. :/ Thanks!

Still fail to see the usefulness of mod version being visible on the main portal list. If you’re manually updating, then you either have your mods folder or the game open to have a list of mods to look at and both have the version numbers right there.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”