[0.13] Mod portal suggestions

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
IamI
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.13] Mod portal suggestions

Post by IamI »

1. First of all, allow making a queue saves the mod would change(add, remove or update), then run it to finish.
That's because when I want to install a series of mods, I don't want to restart the game again and again.
May it be just like what Cydia do: when you click the button install/update, you can add it to queue, or just execute it instantly.
If that's impossible, at least give me a choice to restart the game or not after mod changing.

2. There are some mod series such as Bob's which is a bundle within 10 or more different mods. May mod portal add a type of virtual mod, when install it, install a bundle of mods selected by uploader?(or add them to the queue, like 1. says.)

3. When I install a mod, it means I want to play it. So when install a mod, may the game add all mods it needed but I don't have now to the queue(or hint me/auto install for me)?

4. Shadow or hide the mods I have installed.

5. I'm from somewhere with bad network. so may it:
5.1 Add a progress bar when logging in mod portal or searching.
5.2 When download fails, keep the pointer on the position I wanted to install, make it convenient to retry.

6. For other language users, is mod portal ready to add multi-language support? If not, is it ok to upload a mod changes the language of some specific mods?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.13] Mod portal suggestions

Post by bobingabout »

I think the biggest one that you need is... listing, and/or automatically installing mod dependancies. All (okay, almost all) of my mods require my library mod, but in the mod interface, there's no indication of it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

I also have suggestions:

1. Add positive/negative review score. Right nowe we have only downloads and views but it don't tell if mod is good or bad.

2. In Alphabetical sorting add shortcuts to specific letter. When I want to find Youki mod then I would like to just click Y and search from first mod that name started on Y. Of course I can use "search" but it won't help i don't know proper name of searching mod.

3. Near tabs with mods category show how many mods is there like: General [17], Non-Game-Changing [8], Helper Mods [17], ..., Blueprints [0], ...

4. Change discussion layout. Black text on dark gray background is hard to read and cause eyes exhaust.

terror_gnom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by terror_gnom »

/sign

especially queueing mods would be great :) It takes so long to get all the mods updated :( But the other ideas here are good aswell.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Oh, and an interesting point, the Game has a search box, the website does not, it makes finding my mods to update them quite difficult.

And when you click on a mod authors name, it takes you to a relatively useless page, it would be useful to list what mods the author has posted on this page.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Lewin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Lewin »

I agree with all of the above mentioned suggestions I just wanted to provide abit of an example. If anyone here has ever played Kerbal Space Program you may know of it but they have a third party mod manager called "Ckan" which is similar to what it looks like your trying to attempt. I would just reccomend taking a look at it for ideas and such.
* sorry for not doing proper searches before hand I just love this game I might be abit over excited about the changes coming ended up getting a copy of the game for all my friends that didn't already have them so we could play together. I will hold my tongue till I've done more research for next time.
Last edited by Lewin on Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

You can be sure: They did take a look at all of them... :)

I'm also they have a long list of features to be implemented.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

I've also got suggestions:
  • 1. have the portal read the locale dir, show which languages it supports and enable the ability to search for specific languages (also in the game...)
    2. enable the ability to search for mods by a specific author (but also what Bob said is very important)
does are mine, for now :twisted:
Lewin wrote:I agree with all of the above mentioned suggestions I just wanted to provide abit of an example. If anyone here has ever played Kerbal Space Program you may know of it but they have a third party mod manager called "Ckan" which is similar to what it looks like your trying to attempt. I would just reccomend taking a look at it for ideas and such.
I've mentioned it here about four months ago... Why do you think it looks like that :geek:

and then there's this search, so welcome to the club :mrgreen:
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by HanziQ »

bobingabout wrote:Oh, and an interesting point, the Game has a search box, the website does not, it makes finding my mods to update them quite difficult.

And when you click on a mod authors name, it takes you to a relatively useless page, it would be useful to list what mods the author has posted on this page.
The website does have a search box.

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

HanziQ wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Oh, and an interesting point, the Game has a search box, the website does not, it makes finding my mods to update them quite difficult.

The website does have a search box.
oh, HanziQ, you just debunked this whole thread... so bob made a mistake - he didn't see the big grey search bar that is just under the sort options that has the word "Search" on the left :oops:
mods portal search bar.JPG
mods portal search bar.JPG (48.01 KiB) Viewed 6579 times
in your face, Bob :x

He did make a very good point that when you click on a mod authors name, it takes you to a relatively useless page and there is no way of getting to just his mods (which a lot of people like, btw, myself not included, sorry Bob)...

That search bar, btw, is very basic and doesn't look in all the text available about a mod to find it - it even gives false results - once I've tried looking for "red" and got 5dim's mods ores & resources, which don't "red" anywhere in the description :!: - I'm pretty sure it's because it tries to be real time and fails...

I'd at least expect you to add something like "Those are all interesting ideas and we will add them into consideration when discussing the next iteration of the mod portal" or "we don't plan on making the portal any better then it is now since Steam has the workshop and it's a very good platform for spreading mods and updating them (even automatically) and f&ck all who don't join Steam, they can have a hard time looking for and updating their mods"

Ignoring is easy, taking the criticism and working with it, while swallowing your pride - that's the hard choice !

We shower so much love at you guys and the game, spend hours playing and suggesting ideas to perfect it even more and you go and write something like that
I can't believe you got me so angry with this reply :o :(
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DedlySpyder »

jockeril wrote: I'd at least expect you to add something like "Those are all interesting ideas and we will add them into consideration when discussing the next iteration of the mod portal" or "we don't plan on making the portal any better then it is now since Steam has the workshop and it's a very good platform for spreading mods and updating them (even automatically) and f&ck all who don't join Steam, they can have a hard time looking for and updating their mods"
Obviously they're working on it. Do you want them to have waited until it was feature complete? Because that would have taken another few weeks at least, and the community was ravenous to get their hands on 0.13.

Go ahead and list you're suggestions but don't demand that they respond to you this very instant on what they think of everything. They've released 3 releases this week and have thousands of people telling then about bugs and what they need to change.

Let them do their job and if stuff is still wonky in a few weeks time then you can remind them that things could be better

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Suggestion:

Integration with GitHub Releases API.

It would be useful for the future, if it was possible to add a mod to the portal, not by uploading the .zip file from the PC of the one adding it, but rather by identifying the user and repository of a mod on GitHub, so that downloads added to the Releases page of a Repository could be directly downloaded through either the web portal or in game, from the GitHub Releases, rather than from the mod portal hosting.

This would have the advantage that modders using GitHub could simply push a release as normal, and have it updated automatically on mods.factorio.com, rather than having to then download their work, and reupload it at the mod site. This would decrease the possibility of mistakes, misversioning, and desync between the Github repository, and the mod portal version.

It would also strongly decrease bandwidth requirements for the mod portal, for those mods hosted on Github.

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”