Any way to report a mod as inappropriate?

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
codestothestars
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Any way to report a mod as inappropriate?

Post by codestothestars » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:24 am

I was casually browsing mods today and, without trying very hard at all, stumbled upon this one named epic gay mom. I wanted to report this mod as inappropriate and couldn't find any way of doing so. Is there any official or approved way?

In case the potential reasons aren't obvious, I think the mod is inappropriate for multiple reasons.
  1. I personally think a mod with a name like this has no place on an official Factorio site, where presumably Wube wants all current and potential players to feel welcome. If someone considering buying Factorio wanted to see what kinds of mods it had and saw this, I couldn't blame them for being dissuaded from purchasing. In case it's not clear why the name bothers me, the word "gay", when used flippantly like this, is seen by many people as a slur unless the context clearly establishes otherwise.
  2. The name does not seem to come anywhere near describing what the mod does (not that I have installed it to find out), and at a minimum does not match the mod's description. I realize that mod names can be creative and don't have to be a literal description, but I think this one is a clear case of abuse.
  3. Based on the description, it appears to be an exact duplicate of another mod.

OBXandos
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Any way to report a mod as inappropriate?

Post by OBXandos » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:49 am

Yeah, this should probably be looked at. I did get a good laugh out of it though.

FrodoOf9Fingers
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FrodoOf9Fingers » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:27 pm

I think it could use a gentle suggestion to rename, but only because i think mod titles should reflect the mod content.

I don't think we should travel down the PC police route. Censorship is a quick way to lose the trust of the gaming community.

While some people will be put off by "gay", its not nearly as bad as the amount of people tired of having to deal with PC everywhere and will stop support wube.

Live and let live.

Deadlock989
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:31 pm

FrodoOf9Fingers wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:27 pm
Live and let live.
I'll remember that next time I get gay-bashed.

FrodoOf9Fingers
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FrodoOf9Fingers » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:07 pm

They are not following "live and let live" then.

Though, I should let you know that Im no stranger to persecution. My identity has also been murdered. I myself have been threatened with a gun. I've been physically attacked. I was frequently bullied in highschool.

I really dislike it when people playing the "I'm a victim ao listen to me card" for this reason. Though, I don't think this is an appropiate place to discuss politics. I won't post anymore in this thread, as I really hate when my games get political.

Live, and let live.

Deadlock989
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:17 pm

FrodoOf9Fingers wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:07 pm
They are not following "live and let live" then.

Though, I should let you know that Im no stranger to persecution. My identity has also been murdered. I myself have been threatened with a gun. I've been physically attacked. I was frequently bullied in highschool.

I really dislike it when people playing the "I'm a victim ao listen to me card" for this reason. Though, I don't think this is an appropiate place to discuss politics. I won't post anymore in this thread, as I really hate when my games get political.

Live, and let live.
Typical censorship snowflake, complains about political correctness and says it's worse than homophobia, and then claims he hates politics.

codestothestars
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by codestothestars » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:03 am

FrodoOf9Fingers wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:27 pm
Live and let live.
"Live and let live" is not applicable to this situation.

Wube has invited us to a potluck at their lovely summer home located at https://mods.factorio.com. Every Factorio player is invited (having already paid for the privilege) and encouraged to bring a dish. Not everyone has to bring something, but enough do that everyone gets to eat. Arch666Angel brings a delicious plate of Angel's Refining (and more), Deadlock989 brings a scrumptious platter of Deadlock's Crating Machine (and more), Bobingabout brings the ever-popular Bob's Logistics.

And A_dude_1145 brings a plate with nothing but a single Big Mac on it, with a sign that says EPIC GAY MOM. A notable portion (let's say up to 150,000 players) of the gay guests (which I can assure you are in attendance) are, naturally, offended by this. Not only is this dish of no substance whatsoever, but its name has now offended many of Wube's guests, who are threatening to leave and maybe even will want a refund.

Nobody asked for this. It's not Wube's fault that someone called their dish "epic gay mom". However, due to an unfortunate consequence of hosting a party that almost any person may attend, Wube now has a choice. Tell the offender to either change the sign, remove their dish, or leave; OR defend A_dude_1145 and their one Big Mac and let those angry paying guests leave with a bad taste in their mouth, which they will do regardless of whether you think they are being overly sensitive.

As I said, this is not about "live and let live". Nobody's breaking into this person's house to make them stop using a homophobic slur. But Wube is not obligated to tacitly endorse it, which is what they are doing by hosting this mod on their website.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:06 am

codestothestars wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:03 am
However, due to an unfortunate consequence of hosting a party that almost any person may attend, Wube now has a choice. Tell the offender to either change the sign, remove their dish, or leave; OR defend A_dude_1145 and their one Big Mac and let those angry paying guests leave with a bad taste in their mouth, which they will do regardless of whether you think they are being overly sensitive.
There also is the choice of doing nothing. Wube could choose a side but they actually do not have to as the mod's name is far away from beeing lagally problematic.

I personally would just let that "overly sensitive" people go. Not because the mod's name is a good choice - wich it obviously is not. But i would not want to start censoring the mod portal more than the law would force me to. I would have to decide for each mod whether it is properly named and has no content that might offend anyone. Way too much work just to please a few people who are easy to offend.
codestothestars wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:03 am
But Wube is not obligated to tacitly endorse it, which is what they are doing by hosting this mod on their website.
Providing access to or hosting something does not imply endorsement.
Your internet access provider does not endorse everything you do on the internet by providing you access to the Internet. Youtube does not endorse every video they host. Libraries do not endorse every book they offer to lend. The postal service does not endorse every message it delivers.

Deadlock989
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:11 am

God, I despise people who rationalise gay-bashing.

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:37 am

As far as anyone here knows, the person who create the mod may be a non-english speaker and this is mocking their poor english, victimising them and making them feel ashamed for their error.

The whole "I am a victim and you will force others to do as I order or I will shame you" is a disgusting strategy. There is no "gay bashing here" only someone claiming victimhood in order to victimise others. - A cry-bully.

At the very least, get the facts of the case before condemning someone.

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”