[0.18] Tech tree ordering with Bobs

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

hylke94
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.18] Tech tree ordering with Bobs

Post by hylke94 »

I overlooked some details about the tech tree and crafting menu, and posted this by accident in the Bobs subforum, not this one. But indeed, it is more a Angel's "problem". So here the same message again..

I'm encountering a lot of "tech tree ordering issues". What I mean is, I unlock a tech, wanna build the new item, but can't find an intermediate to craft. After some searching in the tech tree, I find a completely different tech to research first.

For example. Now in the starter stage of a new map, I pushed tech towards assembling machine 2 for the extra inputs. These machines need steel to craft. Steel needs steel ingots. Steel ingots needs iron ingots. Iron ingots needs iron ore. Iron ore needs sorted raw ores. To be able to sort raw ores, i need ore sorters. Ore sorters needs production block 1. Production block 1 needs tech "Basic blocks 1" researched. Basic blocks 1 was not a prerequisite of the ore sorting (Metallurgy 1). Now I need to research a completely other tech tree first, like algae, paper, red electronics, mechanical components, to finally research basic blocks 1. So I need a lot of extra tech to even handcraft the items I unlock each time.

Is there any plan to review the tech tree, and fix all the prerequisites of each tech?

I'm willing to help with it if needed. I'm a programmer, but have no experience yet with Lua and Factorio modding ;).

live22morrow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.18] Tech tree ordering with Bobs

Post by live22morrow »

Post your mod list?

Production Block 1 is unlocked with Basic Processing Technology 1 which is a prerequisite for Mechanical Refining, Metallurgy 1, and Steel Processing. The metallurgy tech doesn't require ore sorting true, though I assume that's because its a seperate mod. Both are unlocked on the same tech level anyways. And without the Smelting Patch, you can make steel plates from iron plates.

Also none of the assembly machines have ingredient limits now. The only limitation is no liquid input, but none of the early game recipes require liquid input.

hylke94
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hylke94 »

Hmm, I found there would be a mod-list.json for every save, but can't find the file. Here my "global" mod-list.

In the "Bob's Assembling machines mod" settings, I have the "Factory ingredient limits" checked. So yes, I have the "old" limited factories back ;).

"Production block 1" comes with "Basic Blocks 1", not "Basic Processing Technology 1". For this I need "Red electronics", which is a whole tech tree on itself.
"Mechanical Refining" is a "root" tech and has no prerequisites..

I pushed to better assembling machines and ore sorters and such, but have a lot of items in my crafting menu now, which require intermediates like the "production block 1" or "red circuit"s, which I don't even know how to make at that point, because I didn't researched them..

live22morrow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by live22morrow »

Upon further looking at options, this tech ordering is from having the Tech Overhaul disabled. In that case, the blocks are just put in their own tech branch, instead of being unlocked with the corresponding technology research and being prerequisite to buildings. Despite the components, the tech tree is mostly untouched without the overhaul.

hylke94
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hylke94 »

I've played with some settings en got something working now.

Indeed, the Angels Tech Overhaul needed to be turned on. It's incompatible with the Bob's technology mod, so I had to disable that one. I started a new run (the third one, but third time is a charme, right). This one looks good in the tech three now, and I still got all the new "difficult" blocks to play with.

Return to “Angels Mods”