[MOD 0.16.x] MadClown01's Extended AngelBob Minerals

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[MOD 0.16.x] MadClown01's Extended AngelBob Minerals

Post by MadClown01 »

Description:

Brings many new ores & minerals to games with Angel's Refining and Bob's Ores active.

Details:
  • Name: Clowns-Extended-Minerals
  • Latest Release: v0.1.5, March 1st 2018
  • Factorio Version: 0.16
  • Download: Here
Hello again!
This mod brings in many new rare minerals to our AngelBob games, giving us many new production options and making every map truly unique.

Many thanks to Arch666Angel for his mods and for permission to use tints of his icons.
Ore Catalogue
Other Minerals
Future Plans
Compatible with RSO from the next update to that mod.

All feedback, bug reports etc welcome!
Last edited by MadClown01 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 25 times in total.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] MadClown01's Extended AngelBob Minerals

Post by Light »

I'll give this a test to help out a bit. My initial feedback for the moment is with regards to phosphorous ore.

It's interesting to note that while phosphorous is brighter, the raw ore is oddly darker and looks like crushed crotinium. That could do with some brightening and maybe a bit of an outline so it pops out a bit more.

The ore patch on top is phosphorous and crotinum on bottom. I feel that far less shadow would be ideal here, so that the ore looks more like salt and less like rock. The minimap colour also reflects the more polished white appearance in comparison.

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Light wrote:...
Thanks Light!

Opening GIMP now :lol:

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Looks cool, i like ur work MafClown01 :)
I don't know can ask u here, in this topic, but can u think about minerals which can contain resources from py mods-suite, or may be made some another ways to get it with saving main way to process it with py-way ;)
Don't harry just think about that
I like to play with bob's+py+angel's although it is a difficult path i must say - bcuz main big problem in start is silicon :( - so may be we can have 1 natural ore for angel's refining process which can contain quartz - quartz and sand are some of the most common resources on Earth why we can't mass produce it on a planet similar to Earth?
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

aklesey1 wrote:...
Hi aklesey1

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

I'm trying py mods for the first time myself, still not knowledgeable enough to properly make a call on all that yet.

I have implemented crushed stone sorting in MadClown01's Processing - maybe I should think about adding silicon to the output there? That would in effect be treating stone as a refinable mineral just like other - quite an interesting train of thought. Alternately I could add an easily accessible "feldspar" mineral or something...

Lots to think about, thank you very much!

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Light wrote: It's interesting to note that while phosphorous is brighter, the raw ore is oddly darker and looks like crushed crotinium. That could do with some brightening and maybe a bit of an outline so it pops out a bit more.
Ok so I redid the Phosphorite ore icon - it still looks a bit like it should swap places with the Crotinnium icon, but honestly the Crotinnium one is pretty hard to outwhite!
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (637.93 KiB) Viewed 31422 times
Light wrote: I feel that far less shadow would be ideal here, so that the ore looks more like salt and less like rock. The minimap colour also reflects the more polished white appearance in comparison.
The way that Angel's ore sheets work is that he has these raw white ore sheet files, and tints them with his generation code as required. To create the Phosphorite ore, I literally just used one of the sheets untinted. I'll put making a new ore sheet on my to-do list :P

randiskhan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by randiskhan »

Edit: New version of RSO (v3.5.7) supporting the new ores/resources has been posted to mod portal. Changes below no longer relevant. Thanks orzelek!

Cool idea MadClown01. Thanks for the work!
Also thank you orzelek for all your hard work on RSO.

I got RSO to spawn the new MadClown01 ores.
These changes should detect if "MadClown01's Extended AngelBob Minerals" is loaded, just as RSO does for other mods.
I used the values in RSO for Crotinnium & Jivolite for all the MadClown01 ores. No settings are included for donut spawning.

1) Unzip the RSO mod somewhere to make changes.
2) Changes to "mainconfig.lua" in directory "respourceconfigs".
  • Add the following line near the others that start with "require" near the top. I like to put it right under the one with "angelsores" since Angel's is a dependency.

Code: Select all

require("resourceconfigs.clownsores")
    Add the following section right below the section labeled with "-- angels ores" (around line 172).

-- Clown's ores
    if game.entity_prototypes["clowns-ore1"] then
    	fillClownsOresConfig()
    end
3) Add new file "clownsores.lua" to directory "respourceconfigs". Contents as follows.
  • Code: Select all

function fillClownsOresConfig()
       if game.entity_prototypes["clowns-ore1"] then
       config["clowns-ore1"] = {
          type="resource-ore",

allotment=60,
          spawns_per_region={min=1, max=1},
          richness=12000,
          size={min=15, max=20},
          min_amount = 150,

starting={richness=4000, size=15, probability=0},
       }
       end
       if game.entity_prototypes["clowns-ore2"] then
       config["clowns-ore2"] = {
          type="resource-ore",

allotment=60,
          richness=12000,
          size={min=15, max=20},
          min_amount = 150,

}
       end
       if game.entity_prototypes["clowns-ore3"] then
       config["clowns-ore3"] = {
          type="resource-ore",

allotment=60,
          richness=12000,
          size={min=15, max=20},
          min_amount = 150,

}
       end
       if game.entity_prototypes["clowns-ore4"] then
       config["clowns-ore4"] = {
          type="resource-ore",

allotment=60,
          richness=12000,
          size={min=15, max=20},
          min_amount = 150,

}
       end
       if game.entity_prototypes["clowns-ore5"] then
       config["clowns-ore5"] = {
          type="resource-ore",

allotment=60,
          richness=12000,
          size={min=15, max=20},
          min_amount = 150,

}
       end
       if game.entity_prototypes["clowns-ore6"] then
       config["clowns-ore6"] = {
          type="resource-ore",

allotment=60,
          richness=12000,
          size={min=15, max=20},
          min_amount = 150,

}
       end
       if game.entity_prototypes["clowns-ore7"] then
       config["clowns-ore7"] = {
          type="resource-ore",

allotment=60,
          richness=12000,
          size={min=15, max=20},
          min_amount = 150,

}
       end
    end
4) Zip RSO back into .zip archive and place in mods directory.
Last edited by randiskhan on Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

randiskhan wrote:...
Heya, unfortunately I've already sent him a config file for my ores - which have settings making them rarer than crotinnium or jivolite.
Thanks anyway, and thanks for the interest!

Also, I've just released 0.1.1 with Oil Sands and Alluvium!

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

MadClown01 wrote:
Hi aklesey1

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

I'm trying py mods for the first time myself, still not knowledgeable enough to properly make a call on all that yet.

I have implemented crushed stone sorting in MadClown01's Processing - maybe I should think about adding silicon to the output there? That would in effect be treating stone as a refinable mineral just like other - quite an interesting train of thought. Alternately I could add an easily accessible "feldspar" mineral or something...

Lots to think about, thank you very much!
aklesey1 wrote:Using sand is good

Do u think that it's possible to sift the pure sand and get tiny particles of quartz which can then be extruded into small pellets with size similar to the piece of ore?
For example 25 sand with 35% chance to 1 quartz pebbles
Here's one of my suggestions to pyanodon when i asked him about some compatibility with angel's - we have 2 useful machines in py coal processing:
1) Solid separator
2) Classifier
May be we can have recipes for these machines to process sand and chrushed stone
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

randiskhan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by randiskhan »

MadClown01 wrote:
Heya, unfortunately I've already sent him a config file for my ores - which have settings making them rarer than crotinnium or jivolite.
Thanks anyway, and thanks for the interest!

Also, I've just released 0.1.1 with Oil Sands and Alluvium!
Coolness. I figured orzelek would soon have your minerals supported in RSO. I was interested in seeing if I could get it to work, as I was WAY to anxious to try the new crusher candy. ;)

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

I'll look into it - can't promise anything yet though
No worries :lol:

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

The oil sands made me chuckle given I work in the petrochemical industry, specifically in the oil sands. If only it was as easy as the mod to extract and process.

Balance wise the oil sands and ore sorting are fine, however, alluvium is a game breaker. It generates the most powerful ores with no effort whatsoever, namely titanium and uranium. They undermine Angel's recipes of getting these very valued ores and should be substituted for something else. I'd also argue that sand sluicing is also very generous for what little that requires as well.

Part of the joy of Angels is taking simple resources and refining them in more complex ways to get more out of them, but that comes with the price of byproducts, more demanding requirements, and additional crafting time. Thus far you've given some early game options, but they're giving a lot of very valuable materials without any of the work. You could even bypass gold and crystal/gem production using these recipes very early, which takes away from the experience.

Since this is still early in development, you have time to jot down refining ideas and compare them to Angel's methods to make sure they don't overshadow what we already have and to align with Angel's design philosophy.

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Light wrote:...
Thanks Light. Feedback noted, thanks for bringing this up. My intention with sluicing is to create an opportunity for very limited advanced ore refining in a way that is so randomised and inefficient that it should be incomparable to a proper Angel's Refinery when both are scaled to use similar inputs / power / space. In other words, the whole point here is that yes these recipes are designed to be extremely simple, but should ideally pay for it in nearly every factor to an extent that causes it to NOT break the game.

Taking a closer look, it is quite possible that I have the balance completely wrong here.

Several avenues for rebalancing here (in order of how appealing a solution I find each one:)
  • Drastically alter probabilities of generating each item output uniformly - possibly by a factor of 10 or 100. As it stands, one randomly gains a ore output for roughly every 15 or so alluvium - if this figure increased to more like 150, or even 500 then the power and logical complications required to sustain production would make alluvium far less appealing for mass production.
  • Drastically alter probabilities of generating each refined ore, especially the ones requiring more complex refining - by a very large factor - while leaving the probabilities for less useful minerals like crystal dust untouched
  • Introduce more waste products to increase the logistic complexity of sluicing, maybe slag or sodium chloride, or even clay or crushed stone
  • Make alluvial deposits even rarer and smaller
  • Alter other recipe parameters such as time, ingredients required (would reduce brokenness only pseudolinearly)
  • Gate alluvium sorting behind far more tech
  • Eliminate production of the more valuable products such as thorium, uranium etc
I absolutely agree with you that alluvium should not be a fix-all solution, and my intention is not to give players a cheap escape from the jaws of Angel's Refining :lol:

I'm certainly interested in taking a closer look, and I'm probably going to use the first three rebalancing options - but simultaneously I think that alluvial deposits have a valid place in here and can potentially be balanced in such a way that they can achieve this functionality without breaking the game.

The way I see them being used is this:
I need ~30 gold ore for some quick crafting? Better put some sluicing together and come back in 5 mins.
I need a sustainable belt of gold ore? Refinery time.

Any other opinions regarding balancing & functionality are more than welcome!

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

MadClown01 wrote:
  • Drastically alter probabilities of generating each refined ore, especially the ones requiring more complex refining - by a very large factor - while leaving the probabilities for less useful minerals like crystal dust untouched
This right here is what I wanted to touch on, since I understood what you were aiming for. Do not be afraid to use single digit percentages for the rarer items, given you will be processing the recipes thousands of times per patch or even more. Angel's recipes will give a stable flow for sure, but even at 10% you can get a lot of that item when you give it enough time.

I use the geothermal mod which has a 3% chance to give a uranium ore if you find the ultra rare special oil patch for it. After an hour I'll have perhaps one stack of the uranium ore, which is obviously not sustainable but a nice little bonus given I'll be processing it for many hours. Naturally you'll scale up as you find more uranium thermal patches and that ore bonus slowly starts to provide an extra stack or two per hour, but it's still not enough to replace Angel's uranium processing.

Contrast this with being an ore patch that provides millions of ore rather quickly and that single percentage is much more mandatory for balance purposes because you're able to feed far more machines at a time.

I'll also have to correct you in saying that crystal dust isn't very useful. Next to slag it's the most valuable item in the game, as both slag and mineral dust can be used to create any ore through mineral slurry. This means that high amounts of mineral dust can be just as powerful as giving the ore directly, even if there's a bit of RNG to both processes. I'm not saying I object to having it in the recipe, just that it's more valuable than you probably thought it was.

Personally I'd rather see mud, clay, limestone, or salt as byproducts over slag or stone. We get enough of those already so something different would be a bit more interesting.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I've released the new RSO version with support for extended ores.
One thing I noticed is that there are no infinite varieties for our ores - is that by design?

SqFKYo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SqFKYo »

Heyas, any chance you'd make this omnimatter compatible?

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/omnimatter has very terse instructions how you can make it so:
For ores:
1: In data-update add the line "omni.add_resource(data.raw.item["name-of-ore"],tier,name of tech icon,"your mod name")" where the tier is replaced by the tier of your ore, tier is currently between 1 and 3, but it'll be made more dynamic in a future version (0.2)
2: add a folder graphics/extraction
3: in forementioned folder, add a tech picture named after your ore, identically so.
4: add an impure one called impure_(ore name here)

And after that my mod does the work for you!

Mella
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mella »

Wow man new resources for angel's system and there 7 types of resources looks nice but i can't see methods for straight getting of any bob's resources with using any of 3 types of catalysts, you are working under this, right?
And aklesey1 is right - i think we ned some angel ore to get quartz early - it can be sanguinate - only problem what i'll do with tons of manganese when i can't process it, because i need to research method for its smelting

EmperorZelos, author of omnimods should be prepared, because he has to make an update - ohhh yeah its will be really funny to see that huge system with 6 + 7 angel ores :lol:

Alluvium looks like snow lol, oil sand looks like dirty swamp - looks beautiful

MadClown01
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadClown01 »

Light wrote:... Do not be afraid to use single digit percentages for the rarer items...
Rebalanced for 0.1.2
Light wrote:I'll also have to correct you in saying that crystal dust isn't very useful. Next to slag it's the most valuable item in the game, as both slag and mineral dust can be used to create any ore through mineral slurry. This means that high amounts of mineral dust can be just as powerful as giving the ore directly, even if there's a bit of RNG to both processes. I'm not saying I object to having it in the recipe, just that it's more valuable than you probably thought it was.
Fair call :lol: although one cannot create chrome, platinum or manganese through slurry atm.
Light wrote:Personally I'd rather see mud, clay, limestone, or salt as byproducts over slag or stone. We get enough of those already so something different would be a bit more interesting.
Yeah that's reasonable. I won't put any of those as byproducts for sand sluicing as they've been "washed out" earlier in the chain, but it could work for alluvium.
Thanks for the suggestion.
orzelek wrote:I've released the new RSO version with support for extended ores.
One thing I noticed is that there are no infinite varieties for our ores - is that by design?
Thanks heaps orzelek! :lol:
I'd like to add infinite varieties in the near future, but I haven't completely made up my mind on how to best implement them yet.
SqFKYo wrote:Heyas, any chance you'd make this omnimatter compatible?
Sure thing! I'll get onto it when I can.
Mella wrote:Wow man new resources for angel's system and there 7 types of resources looks nice but i can't see methods for straight getting of any bob's resources with using any of 3 types of catalysts, you are working under this, right?
Try sand / alluvium sluicing ;)
Mella wrote:And aklesey1 is right - i think we ned some angel ore to get quartz early - it can be sanguinate - only problem what i'll do with tons of manganese when i can't process it, because i need to research method for its smelting
If you've found, transported and refined sanguinate before researching manganese smelting, then you and I have very different ways of playing the game!
As far as silicon is concerned - one can crush and sort bobmonium super early, and it's not like the tin produced simultaneously goes unused. I'll look further into crushed stone / stone sorting, but I'm not entirely convinced that silicon ore is hard to come by. Besides, even if I implemented a mineral that smelted into pure silicon straight away, I'd probably make it quite rare just like my other minerals, to keep the central focus on Angel's minerals!
Mella wrote:EmperorZelos, author of omnimods should be prepared, because he has to make an update - ohhh yeah its will be really funny to see that huge system with 6 + 7 angel ores :lol:
Hahaha I wouldn't blame him for taking a sec to evaluate demand before sinking time into something like that. It'll probably depend completely on whether his audience is interested enough!
Mella wrote: Alluvium looks like snow lol, oil sand looks like dirty swamp - looks beautiful
Yes, alluvium on actual snow (Alien Biomes) is quite hard to see - might need some more work done on it. I'm happy with the texture of the Oil Sands, but unfortunately the outlines of the deposits are VERY blocky, and I'm having trouble changing this. It's a work in progress, and might take a while - but I'm happy with the funtionality, so I've released them now because... why not

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

If you create ore with name matching pattern:

"infinite-"..normal name
Then RSO will automatically add it to center of ore patches based on threshold setting.
You need to define min/max normally. If you add autoplace it will show in map settings, without it it won't be listed there. I think Angel uses RSO detection in infinite ores mod to add the autoplace when RSO is not present.

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Great work!

Commenting to stay up to date and give praise :D
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

Return to “Angels Mods”