AngelBob hoping for pre-mainbus help

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

MisterFister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

AngelBob hoping for pre-mainbus help

Post by MisterFister »

Hi there! I posted over in the Complete Overhauls subforum because my question relates both to Bobs and Angels, and I wanted to widen my audience of people who might reply with some help. Of course, I'm signal boosting it here and at the Bobs subforum, though.

TLDR, I keep discovering little to no meaningful progress with 3-4 hours in, and I've done that at least three or four times in the past week to ten days or so. YouTube, guides posted here and on reddit, and google searches all come up squat because the hits I can find apparently pre-date some recent changes to these mods and their info is rendered obsolete.

Instead, if someone can't take the time to noob-guide me around for a little bit, maybe I can locate a v0.16-appropriate blueprint string, whether it's midgame tech (which can help me prioritize what tech nodes to unlock with handcrafted red science) or maybe even a pre-mainbus blueprint that can help me get past the very time consuming trial and error of finding a smeltery basedon burners that won't jam to shit as soon as I plug in the first lump of coal into a drill. :'(

Spreadsheets, tech trees, maybe helping me understand what buildings do what, when to skip them, what a "floater" is and why they factor so prominently in jargon-laced conversations about processing ratios, etc. All of that might help, and I might even score with another type of help that I haven't thought of yet.

Any pointers, any leads on where to start?

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: AngelBob hoping for pre-mainbus help

Post by Light »

Part of the fun of working with Angels is figuring things out for yourself and working around the many complications you'll be running into. Blueprints shouldn't be what you're looking for as it defeats a lot of the point to being creative for yourself.

Nevertheless, if you need some ideas then there's these sources of information:
Show Me Yours
Nilaus - Angels Mods Tutorials

Nilaus' tutorials will give a baseline of what tech options provide and how they get started. New additions since these videos are just extensions of what he already discussed, so they're easy enough for you to figure out yourself.

There are also a few mods to help remedy some headaches you will experience:
What is it used for? - Shows what recipes are made with, where they're made, what byproducts they create, etc.
Logistic Train Network - Useful for transporting goods based on supply/demand of specific materials (Nilaus Tutorial)
Helmod Assistant Planner - Allows you to calculate and plan for every recipe with perfect ratios of buildings to meet your recipe goal.

Every Angel playthrough I go though, I'll always create new and improved designs based on new changes or because my designing skills improve. When I first started it was a clogged spaghetti mess as yours probably is, but now they're ratio specific and designed on the fly in under a few hours with no congestion issues. This is why I'd suggest hitting the mods with nothing more than baseline information and letting your creativity flow. However, if you need specific advice when the problem constantly eludes you, then we're sure to help out. Just be sure to be specific since there's too much to this mod to outline everything in a single post.

MisterFister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MisterFister »

Light wrote:... When I first started it was a clogged spaghetti mess as yours probably is.... This is why I'd suggest hitting the mods with nothing more than baseline information and letting your creativity flow. However, if you need specific advice when the problem constantly eludes you, then we're sure to help out. Just be sure to be specific since there's too much to this mod to outline everything in a single post.
Dude, these are awesome-looking resources, thank you! I was familiar with Nilaus (I referenced him by name in one of my reflective posts this morning) but I was under the impression that his tutorials were further out of date than you seem to suggest that they are, so that's an improvement by itself.

But in response to the portion of your reply that I quote above... please know that my builds were NOT a clogged spaghetti mess, they literally weren't functioning at all. That was (and for the moment still is) my extremely-specific issue, I was running around in a game based on factory automation and manually handcrafting and manually inserting and sorting things. For dozens of hours. Over the course of almost two weeks. It just stopped being fun, and that has happened like 4 or 5 times before with my previous attempts at this mod, and I didn't wanna quit necessarily, but I spent more than four hours of game time within the last 18 hours googling and researching and I had nothing.

So I asked here on the forums. I made my primary post and then reflected that here in the Angels subforum and also over on the Bobs subforum as well. Your reply here, and soe input from bobingAbout and one or two others so far (and it hasn't even been half a day yet since my posts) have pretty much given me what I need in order to ensure that I don't give up this mod for good. Because since Factorio v0.12 or thereabouts, I've attempted these mods and handful of times, and I ALWAYS invest decent time into them before giving up, but after a sum total over the years of maybe 50+ hours of Factorio time just on an AngelBob setup, I've never once gotten a mainbus or even a smelter up and running on its own with inserters and direct-feed sorting. Not once.

So, I wasn't asking for someone to explain the whole of the mod to me (though I could prolly make something happen with that, I'm not bored by discussions like that) but I needed help, just like the OP subject header says, getting to my first temporary mainbus.

Which I'd still have to start over from scratch to work on after reading the links you mentioned.

And yes, I get the whole comment on the joy being in the self-achievement instead of blueprints, but like I said, I needed a baseline to figure out how these things work to begin with, and since I was coming up nuts on my internet dice rolls, that's why I suggested that as an alternative.

Thanks. I'll be in touch after this weekend.

batorfly
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by batorfly »

Maybe multiplayer? That is the best option i think. But with one person (maybe two, but not too much), experienced with bob+angel. I don't call myself very experienced, but i can help for sure.
I mean, not the full playthrough, maybe copule hours.

MisterFister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MisterFister »

batorfly wrote:Maybe multiplayer? That is the best option i think. But with one person (maybe two, but not too much), experienced with bob+angel. I don't call myself very experienced, but i can help for sure.
I mean, not the full playthrough, maybe copule hours.
Honestly this might be awesome. If the suggestion is genuine, then look forward to hearing from me sometime late next week when I've returned from my business trip.@

batorfly
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by batorfly »

Yep, surely, genuine. I don't speak fluently in english, but i hope it's good enough for that purpose. I don't have a blueprint book, or polished designs in mind. I just take assemblers, and place them, it works fine, maybe it need some tweaks, but in most cases looks nice, and always can be expanded. My early game priorities in one sentence XD Late game i'm just all about ratios. I take a piece of paper and draw a recipes-ratios-tree and calculate, and try to direct insert everything (must have- bob's adjustable inserters)

kenken244
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kenken244 »

I wouldn't mind joining in that multiplayer. I would consider myself pretty experienced with angelbobs, so I can help out too. :)

jcranmer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jcranmer »

It sounds like you're trying to jump into too much complexity too quickly. I'd honestly recommend just starting out with Bob's mods without Angel's just to get a flavor of what you have to do--you don't need to finish, just get enough exposure to handling the electrolysis and advanced electronics options.

As for AngelBob-specific tips. You probably need to build a larger manual pre-power factory than vanilla (I normally run around 6 furnaces for iron in vanilla, that's definitely low for AngelBob). Since there's more steps to getting the furnace columns set up, you are also likely going to be using a longer one-lab red science era. Which is fine, because there's more red science to do.

For science: it's the case with both Bob's and Angel's that you can research the techs much faster than you can actually use them. So you're going to inevitably be presented with a bewildering complexity of options in your first time, which is why slowly easing into the mods is a good idea. The happy side effect is that you're rarely going to be in a situation where you're waiting on a research to complete so you can build stuff. Don't feel bad about underbuilding science; I generally underbuild in vanilla anyways, and it's even less of an issue here. One thing to be wary of is that many recipes don't fully gate on tech as you'd expect: you might need carbon to build resistors, but the tech that enables resistors doesn't depend on the tech to build carbon.

Personally, I find that the early research priorities aren't too terribly important: it'll take long enough to set everything up that a haphazard approach will still generally get done in time. On the other hand, I've done enough starts that I have an idea of the general early directions, so that's probably some in-built bias right there. The key to moving forward is to remember that a lot of the complexity is optional, and you don't need to go down those paths early on, particularly in the very beginning of the game.

The progression that I tend to do:
  • Start with the two factories to automate science production, and feed these off of a manually supplied chest.
  • A manually-fed stone factory, with some supply being bled into stone brick (most Angel's buildings require brick to make)
  • Research ore sorting to get electric ore crushers. I prefer to avoid having to weave fuel belts everywhere as much as possible
  • Automate belted iron production from crushed Sapphirite in the first furnace column. The non-obvious trick here is filtering out crushed stone without any facilities to do so (a stone assembler at the end of the line pulling from the belt works nicely). Feed this iron into belt production because oh the belt you need.
  • Build one sorter to recover some quartz (silicon ore) from rubyite (or bobmonium, can never remember which one provides it) to make glass for greenhouses. Bob's greenhouses is the easiest way to automate wood production early on.
  • Plan out the next series of furnace columns and early factory layout, and actually start the copper production and laying out which product is going on which line in the main bus.
  • Build out greenhouses for sustainable wood production. This needs to be done on the earlier side, since you need to give it some time to bootstrap itself (doesn't help that I do tend to overbuild greenhouses).
  • Set up lead and tin production on a small basis (smelting crushed rubyite/bobmonium directly) to make solder for tier 1 circuits
  • Set up carbon production for resistors for tier 1 circuits (again small scale)
  • Get a limited amount of tier 1 circuits so I can build some filter inserters for greenhouses and the blue assembler for building green science
  • Build out red and green science production for labs
  • Immediately get circuit network so I can properly guarantee that the greenhouses won't drain itself
  • Fully automate tier-1 circuits... and this is basically main bus phase of factorio.
Some key points to call out are that you don't need to do ore sorting early on. Directly feeding the crushed ores into assemblers is fine until you start needing the silicon to make tier 2 circuits (equivalent of red circuits in vanilla). In general, in the very early game, you can ignore much of Angel's: petrochem isn't a major part (except for the little that you need to make carbon for tier 1 circuits); metallurgy is unnecessary, bioprocessing isn't needed if you use greenhouses. The main complexity in the early game is dealing with mixed outputs and the surplus of crushed stone. Just keep your eye on building to the main things you need in the main part of the game: circuits.

I will say that I'm hoping to do an AngelBob ribbon world soon (I might even record it to put it up on youtube, but I don't exactly have a streaming system--at least I figured out how to record without truly awful tearing), which is definitely a hard mode (Angel's buildings aren't exactly compact). When I set the last game up, though, I found that trying to get a sane ore generation on a ribbon world is proving maddeningly difficult. I also discovered there's a lot more changes to bioprocessing in the works that I need to get myself heavily acquainted with.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

jcranmer wrote:Some key points to call out are that you don't need to do ore sorting early on.
This quite honestly is the trap I'm always fighting against when starting a new game. It's a hard one to break out of, given you get used to perfect ratios and getting the most out of the resources you have as you progress in the game.

The idea of getting less for your ore early on bugs the hell out of me, since you know crushed saphirite is 66% efficient and iron ore is 75% efficient. Only with ingots do you get the proper 1:1 ratio and see your ore mines deplete slower. It hurts even more when you consider it costs 8 iron plates for 1 steel plate, so you end up scrambling to get steel ingots at a much nicer 4:1 ratio.

The big problem here is that rushing into that trap results in a lot of neglect over other parts of the factory for a long time, plus being unprepared to meet the proper demand since you lack the resources needed to build up a proper smelting or metallurgy line. Then you're waiting for plates to creep up to meet demand since you've added more crafting steps which slows it down, assuming you didn't have the materials to create a moderate sized line from the start which is unlikely.

Even with starting resources being rather low at say 172k, at 66% efficiency that's still a hefty 115k iron plates to really get you going. By the time that patch runs out you're more than likely ready with trains and much better prepared to start a moderate sized metallurgy build right away to perk up the efficiency. You also won't have neglected other areas of your factory, so you should reach this point far sooner than focusing entirely on that one area.

You have to fight the urge to be very efficient and large scale for a while, but the many hours you shave off the early game grind more than makes up for it.

batorfly
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by batorfly »

jcranmer wrote: [*] Get a limited amount of tier 1 circuits so I can build some filter inserters for greenhouses
[*] Immediately get circuit network so I can properly guarantee that the greenhouses won't drain itself
WAT? Why? I always build 2 belts between greenhouses, both mixed, saplings on the "pickup" side od belt, then wood on the side that inserters normally drop, then the filter splitter, then priority splitter that gives priority to the sapling factory. Works excellent. This is just better solution bc you don't need nothing more than simpliest materials. Ofc i added fast inserters later.
Attachments
GreenhousesExpand.PNG
GreenhousesExpand.PNG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 8925 times

jcranmer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jcranmer »

batorfly wrote:
jcranmer wrote: [*] Get a limited amount of tier 1 circuits so I can build some filter inserters for greenhouses
[*] Immediately get circuit network so I can properly guarantee that the greenhouses won't drain itself
WAT? Why? I always build 2 belts between greenhouses, both mixed, saplings on the "pickup" side od belt, then wood on the side that inserters normally drop, then the filter splitter, then priority splitter that gives priority to the sapling factory. Works excellent. This is just better solution bc you don't need nothing more than simpliest materials. Ofc i added fast inserters later.
My last Angel's playthrough was pre-fancy splitters. I should have noted that filter and priority splitters do massively change the meta of Angel's in several ways, greenhouses being the most obvious.

batorfly
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by batorfly »

jcranmer wrote: My last Angel's playthrough was pre-fancy splitters. I should have noted that filter and priority splitters do massively change the meta of Angel's in several ways, greenhouses being the most obvious.
In this case (my greenhouse build) it can be done with just UG belts, and i build it with UG before splitters. Fancy splitters- very nice, but nothing massive, at least for me.

Frost
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Frost »

MisterFister wrote:Hi there! I posted over in the Complete Overhauls subforum because my question relates both to Bobs and Angels, and I wanted to widen my audience of people who might reply with some help. Of course, I'm signal boosting it here and at the Bobs subforum, though.

TLDR, I keep discovering little to no meaningful progress with 3-4 hours in, and I've done that at least three or four times in the past week to ten days or so. YouTube, guides posted here and on reddit, and google searches all come up squat because the hits I can find apparently pre-date some recent changes to these mods and their info is rendered obsolete.

Instead, if someone can't take the time to noob-guide me around for a little bit, maybe I can locate a v0.16-appropriate blueprint string, whether it's midgame tech (which can help me prioritize what tech nodes to unlock with handcrafted red science) or maybe even a pre-mainbus blueprint that can help me get past the very time consuming trial and error of finding a smeltery basedon burners that won't jam to shit as soon as I plug in the first lump of coal into a drill. :'(

Spreadsheets, tech trees, maybe helping me understand what buildings do what, when to skip them, what a "floater" is and why they factor so prominently in jargon-laced conversations about processing ratios, etc. All of that might help, and I might even score with another type of help that I haven't thought of yet.

Any pointers, any leads on where to start?
Just saw this. PM me with quick and dirty questions about what to do next if you still need help.

MisterFister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MisterFister »

jcranmer wrote:My last Angel's playthrough was pre-fancy splitters. I should have noted that filter and priority splitters do massively change the meta of Angel's in several ways, greenhouses being the most obvious.
As to the "most obvious" aspect of your statement, I suggest that being able to split-filter the crusher outputs happens way before greenhouses. I was able to accomplish a rather sturdy pre-metallurgy pair of furnace columns with yellow inserters and no direct-insertion. Stone assemblers were in their own area, the crushers were separate from the furnaces, it was nice. I suggest that this would slightly increase cost of belt (I wouldn't know exactly since fancy splitters are now a thing and this is the first time I've officially broken into angelbob, so I can only surmise what the meta was before) but as for "spaghetti" as long as you put a LOT of room between discrete sectors, the belts become easier to manage. Generally, I prefer to put buffer spaces between major sectors of at least 10 or 20 tiles of unobstructed clearance. That way, back-belting isn't so insane.

This factors to within the sectors as well, since I put a fairly strong emphasis on creating walking space between most or all machines, lining up the inserters so the layout makes sense and is easily navigable, and lighting that is thorough but not overboard. When I'm stuck with the wooden poles and their short range and narrow coverage areas, wiring the place up so that it's not a snarled rat's nest can be tedious initially, and the same goes with routing fluid piping -- since even around fluid pipes, I insist on creating walkable gaps, which means using a LOT of UG pipes, spacing the buildings out, and taking the time to ensure that the UG pipes join up and take coordinated corners for easy navigability (especially for navigability from map view in the mid-game onward.)

MisterFister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MisterFister »

For the record, I wasn't pissed "at" anyone who responded here. That said, frustration can be a powerful motivator. I had a massive breakthrough.

It bears mentioning that I have a type of learning disability (I'm autistic) so when faced with new material, I can ALWAYS absorb it quickly and effortlessly if it's organized in some logical fashion; likewise, if it's presented to be as a tangled dog's breakfast, I'll NEVER absorb it no matter how simple it might be. This is why I was asking the questions I was asking earlier in this thread -- and it's also why the legitimate, well-meaning answers that I found here and elsewhere, for me, would NEVER have helped. This is why I abandoned the mods not once, not twice, but several times in the past.

I made some progress, and the wall I kept hitting over and over was biter-related and not specifically angelbob related. Over the course of several restarts and map rolls, I happened to roll into a very nice peninsula map (by recording mapseeds and using map reveal commands to test them.) On the one that I liked best so far, there were four major offshoot landmass tendrils that would all require clearing, but the mainland only connected to the east and northeast -- very wide gaps to fortify, but doable.

The problem is that the evolution factors made low-tier ammo and weapons and turrets decreasingly effective over time. (Hilarity: by far the most effective ammo required 1:1 raw wood plus copper plate, in a mod where raw wood is already at an insane premium to begin with.) Some decent resources are there, outside of starter area but within the complete peninsula. Ultimately, if completely cleared off, the peninsula offers a decent saphirite patch to the southwest (would benefit heavily from landfill-bridging over a water gap instead of snaking around the natural land corridors, since I am VERY far away from unlocking trains) and a "maybe" saphirite patch near the mainland death-gate, depending on how far deep I push into the mainland to establish my first perimeter. I've played most but not all of the biter-aggression mods before (approximately 80% I think) and even on my previous experiences, the first nearby quick-trip rail outposts are only possible to set up and construct with a fully loaded tank in multiple trips until the walls and turrets are set up and belt-supplied with ammo. By the time those quick-trip bases are exhausted, setting out without full nukes is a waste of time, since the newly-revealed map terrain is essentially a sea of uninterrupted red on the minimap due to exponential spawner expansions. All the other resources, including a very small patch (maybe 5 miners) of jovalite, but saphirite is most definitely the limiting ingredient. I never bothered with ore sorting and metallurgy, but when I intend to restart the same mapseed, I think that with the saphirite shortage, metallurgy asap will be essential so as to convert some stiratite into iron.
Mapseed 2689889696
Wood for ammo? Metal for tech to new higher-tier ammo? More copper for circuits for repair packs on a more-aggressive turret creep? Stone for walls? Coal for power, or smelting, or both? Blind-stabbing at the tech tree just cost time and coal for electricity, until finally I started running out. I fell short of securing one of the two internal coal fields, and a third coal field was uncontested on a nearby island but I'd dumped so much stone into walls for turret-creeping that I think I ended up with two or three stacks of landfill and that's it.

Thus, I name this settlement: New Gettysburg.

To prove, in good fun, that the naysayers were just that (naysayers) in telling me that I was jumping in too deep too quick, I'd care to report that when googling to identify the shortest possible tech-route to renewable wood (doesn't exist before I type it here) I did misclick on a result that spoke of cheat-commands and spawning trees onto the map manually. I narrowed by eyebrows at this. I didn't give a shit about spawning in more trees to chop, CHOPPING trees sucks!
But "cheat commands," you say...?
  • 1.) I rerolled the same mapseed, and saved it just after spawning in. I set that new save aside as a backup, pre-cheat-commands. I chopped 100 raw wood from trees first off, saved a working copy under a new savefile name. Set THAT second savefile aside as a backup.

2.) Using cheat commands, I set to peaceful mode.

Code: Select all

/c game.player.surface.peaceful_mode=true
    3.) Killed all spawners / biters / any entity set to "enemy," which was everything since this is singleplayer. (This command includes multiple carriage returns, but pasting it into the command line all at once in a single paste will cause it to function correctly.)

/c local surface=game.player.surface
    for key, entity in pairs(surface.find_entities_filtered({force="enemy"})) do
    	entity.destroy()
    end
    4.) I squeegeed and cleansed the entire map of ALL trees (after double-checking that I'd chopped 100 raw wood first).

/c local surface = game.player.surface
    for c in surface.get_chunks() do
    for key, entity in pairs(surface.find_entities_filtered({area={{c.x * 32, c.y * 32}, {c.x * 32 + 32, c.y * 32 + 32}}, type= "tree"})) do
    entity.destroy()
    end
    end
    5.) To verify that the map was as I recalled from previous attempts, and to also verify successful eradication of the Starship Troopers Bug Menace, I used the reveal map string that I'd bookmarked before all of this, but hadn't made the connection to what I was attempting to accomplish this time around. Running it at this point, prior to tinkering and looking up research prerequisites and costs, is a good idea, since the reveal command conducts procedural chunk-by-chunk revelations in an outwardly spiral, which takes time to complete.

/c game.forces.player.chart(game.player.surface, {lefttop = {x = -2048, y = -2048}, rightbottom = {x = 2048, y = 2048}})
    6.) Just in case someone reads this years from now and they forget to chop the wood FIRST, before wiping all trees from the map, this manually spawns a 5x5 tile section of trees centered on the player's position. Note that this WILL TRAP YOU and you'll have to either chop your way out or revert to an earlier save. This yields exactly 100 raw wood.

/c for y=-2,2 do for x=-2,2 do game.surfaces.nauvis.create_entity({ name="tree-01", amount=1, position={game.player.position.x+x,game.player.position.y+y} }) end end
    7.) Finally, I decided to "speed-bootstrap" up to the point in the tech tree that I kept encountering my invisible wall. Important to note that it's important to turn this OFF at key points by re-entering it with the final value set to "false." The "key points" at which to turn creative mode off would vary by a player's application and intent. For me, it was necessary to turn off creative mode once the tech was unlocked and the initial resource and smelting lines were active, so that I could properly verify that a certain setup WAS technically-sufficient to craft the solder and the second-tier electronic circuits (the ones colored blue in the ShinyBob packet, the equivalent to vanilla-red circuits -- someone kept referring to both the basic and the second-tier circuits as tier 1 circuits.
    jcranmer wrote:[*] Get a limited amount of tier 1 circuits so I can build some filter inserters for greenhouses

/c game.player.cheat_mode=true
    8.) Made slightly easier by ResearchQueue, I discovered / established the quickest tech researches to unlocking Bob's Greenhouses on my heavily modded AngelBob setup. I specify "heavily modded," because I cannot be sure if this teach route would be valid for someone else with a different list of mods outside of AngelBob, or if Angel's or Bob's ever changes. I do note, for example, that some of my ratios are definitely different than those I've read or YouTube videos I've seen, including recent ones (for example, Xterminator's AngelBob playlist begun in November 2017 and ended so far on ep.19 in early December -- I haven't watched past ep.4, I think.)
    9.) First, the researches, in recommended order
    • 9a - Early) NO IDEA WHY THIS SPOILER TAG ISN'T WORKING CORRECTLY
      Preliminary or super-early research nodes to get basic smelting and defenses up and running
      Total 230 Red + 50 Green

9b - Maybe / as needed)
      These may or may not come in handy depending on playstyle -- For example, I often skip LONG INSERTERS 1
      Total 120 Red + 20 Green

9c - Primary tech)
      Metallurgy 1 -- 50
      Advanced Iron Smelting -- 50
      Advanced Copper Smelting -- 50
      Water Treatment -- 30
      Washing 1 -- 30
      Washing 2 -- 30 Green
      Cement Processing 1 -- 50
      Powder Metallurgy 1 -- 50 Green
      Basic Chemistry -- 50
      Coal Processing -- 50
      Advanced Tin Smelting 1 -- 50
      Advanced Lead Smelting 1 -- 50
      Advanced Solder Smelting 1 -- 50
      Advanced Glass Smelting 1 -- 50 Green
      Greenhouse -- 20
      Total 660 Red + 130 Green
    Then, the on-screen tasks to perform, in recommended order, addressing any biter distractions along the way
    • 10a.) Mine saphirite direct-dump into burner crusher, manual feed stone furnaces
      10b.) Mine coal direct-dump into wooden boxes, manual filter diamond ore
      10c.) Mine stiratite direct-dump into burner crusher, manual feed stone furnaces
      10d.) Begin handcrafting exactly 60 Red science
      10e.) Exactly 4 burner-miners each on bobmonium and rubyte, all direct-dump feeding into a shared wooden chest -- leave for later
      10f.) Basic steam electricity, with exactly 2 extra Offshore Water Pumps for later
      10g.) Basic single-lab inserter-fed from wooden chest -- manually feed all 60 Red science directly into lab, not into wooden chest
      10h.) Research AUTOMATION, LOGISTICS, MECHANICAL REFINING, in that order
      10i.) Handcraft some assemblers
      10j.) Set up the standard 2 assemblers for Red science fed from manually-restocked wooden chest, inserter-outputting to the lab's wooden chest
      10k.) Spin up yellow belt / UG / splitter production (my creative mode test used ~600 yellow belt, ~30 UG, ~12 splitters, across entire base and miners
      10l.) Belt-feed coal to steam engines, using filter-split for diamond ore, store diamond ore in wooden box
      10m.) AMMO!!!
      10n.) Go bug-hunting periodically, never return with less than 1000 raw wood, be strategic about where you chop trees
      10o.) Crusher columns for saphirite, stiratite, and coal, in that order -- plan ahead on placement, leave plenty of room
      10p.) Basic temporary furnace column off to the side for iron, MAYBE a similar temporary column for copper -- this requires splitting off coal belts for furnace fuel, leave plenty of room for future column placements that won't require belt-spaghetti or tight maneuvering or mapview confusion
      10q.) Assembler column for crushed stone consumption, output to 2-3 stone furnaces for brick, bleed some into assembler for landfill
      10r.) Small bank of furnaces for crushed coal to coke -- note that ingredient can also be fuel, may be inserter-wonky, prepare to manually feed
      10s.) Ore sorter columns for saphirite, then stiratite, with clear and very large buffer spaces for belt-split spaghetti
      10t.) Run slag back to a separate stone-crusher column, join its output with stone from previous crushers
      10u.) Join iron ore with iron ore, copper ore with copper ore -- complete metallurgy smelting for each
      10v.) Build exactly 7 Washing Plants, a Seafloor Pump, and one of the 2 spare Offshore Water Pumps (from step 10-f) NOT shared with steam power
      10w.) Build exactly 1 extra Ore Sorter for Bobmonium (stockpiled from step 10-e) to filter for Silicon Ore
      10x.) Use Washing Plants and Water to generate Sand, Clay, and Limestone
      10y.) Build exactly 1 liquefier for Carbon Dioxide
      10z.) Build exactly 1 extra Blast Furnace for Lime
      10aa.) Build exactly 2 extra metallurgy lines, 1 for Solder / tier-2 circuits, and the other for Glass Mixture / Glass
      10bb.) Build exactly 1 Powder Mixer to make Glass Mixture
      10cc.) Craft first Greenhouse -- very slow, works best with water supply not shared with Seafloor or steam power operations (second spare water pump from steps 10-f / 10v)
      10dd.) "Emergency bootstrap phase" complete -- you can bridge to anywhere, begin research and research expansion in earnest, establish a hard-safe perimeter, tech to trains, and venture out to the untamed wilds beyond
    In conclusion...
    THIS INFO is not "handing" the player anything, and in my view, would do nothing to spoil any surprises. This is peculiarly so in my current scenario with extremely high biter aggression to work against. However, even in peaceful mode, the allure of AngelBob playthroughs is the extensive expansion to the rest of the game. THIS gets past the tedious grind of having to stop progress just to chop wood for the materials (as opposed to chopping wood to clear building space.)

I specifically haven't engaged in blueprinting anything or in keying workable ratios. First of all, all of that meta is essentially brand new with the fancy-splitters removing almost all of the early-game pressure to fast-tech to filter-inserters. I imagine based on the belt spaghettification even at these low tiers that filter-inserters will still have their uses especially in late game, but refusing or at least deemphasizing their usage seems entirely viable to me especially with bots.

Also important here is that even if meticulous ratios were a design goal, the throughput-limitation right now is the yellow belts themselves only being able to carry ~13 items / sec. In my current mod arrangement, most crafting recipes are way more expensive than in vanilla. For example, vanilla 1 copper plate gives 2 copper coil -- here, 2 copper plate yields 1 copper coil. Therefore, I suspect that there will be examples where on-site manufacturing might not always be the best bet, since with this example I can fit twice as many copper coils on a belt as I can fit copper plates. I'll have to fiddle with stack sizes to ascertain how rail transport would affect these numbers, on top of the already-assumed ratio-tweaks that would come from unlocking more advanced building versions, beacons and beacon versions, modules and module versions, etc.
NOW I can play and have fun! I look eagerly forward to when I have single smelteries large enough to entirely occupy the minimap with long trains servicing outposts so far away that just the trip outbound consumes more than half its onboard fuel capacity.

Return to “Angels Mods”