How to start gardening.

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

How to start gardening.

Post by Termak »

How do i start gardening with the angel Bioprocessing? I did add the mod bit after starting the map. I have researched various stuffs but the machines have no recipes and i dont seem to be able to do almost anything.

eformo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: How to start gardening.

Post by eformo »

Termak wrote:How do i start gardening with the angel Bioprocessing? I did add the mod bit after starting the map. I have researched various stuffs but the machines have no recipes and i dont seem to be able to do almost anything.

You're going to have to do a fair bit of exploration to find the gardens. There are 3 kinds, temperate, swamp and desert - they spawn on the map somewhat like trees do, but they are very rare. Sometimes, they are hidden in the middle of a forest (I sweep large areas with a deconstruction planner to help find them - set the filters to avoid tagging everything).

Then you can use a Seed Extractor to turn a garden into some seeds. If you're lucky, you'll get seeds - it's luck based. These will enable you to cultivate plants you have seeds for - there are several seeds possible from each type of garden. Extracting the seeds will also provide some Bio-tokens, which can be used for research.

After destroying several gardens to get seeds/tokens, and doing some research, you'll be able to *try* to replicate gardens. Spend a garden, get 1 back with a 5% chance of getting a second one. When you're lucky enough to get more gardens, you can generate more tokens and seeds back in the seed extractor. This will let you keep trying your luck with the RNG to get all the seed types.

The various crops are self-sustaining. You'll be able to get more seeds of the same type for another crop and some other products too. Composting/fermenting/doing stuff with these products will yield some products that have more industrial uses, allowing you to get some of the petrochem products in a very different manner.

Others might have some corrections for what I've written here - I've only just started venturing into the farming myself, but I hope that helps!

jvandillen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jvandillen »

Does it work with mods who changes the terrain such as alien biome?

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

jvandillen wrote:Does it work with mods who changes the terrain such as alien biome?
No.

Unless the terrain is the vanilla type, you'll never see them. This makes exploring for them even harder in biomes, assuming you leave the terrain type to default.

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Termak »

I actually started new game just since Alien Biomes came out and managed to find already 5 temperate gardens, but the ground is prolly default green grass.
Havent found other gardens yet, and i havent seen other vanilla biomes near me, though i havent been able to run far. How could i hack it to work with all the biomes?

Also could you make the gardens bigger, it feels bit silly to have to run around with the deconstruction planner to even find the things.

Frost
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Frost »

Light wrote:
jvandillen wrote:Does it work with mods who changes the terrain such as alien biome?
No.

Unless the terrain is the vanilla type, you'll never see them. This makes exploring for them even harder in biomes, assuming you leave the terrain type to default.
Is that really true? Damn.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Frost wrote:
Light wrote:
No.

Is that really true? Damn.
Set the terrain for all vanilla ground to none and you'll never find a single plant no matter how far and wide you search. That is how my test was performed.

j3robins
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by j3robins »

Does anyone have a list of what can be composted? The only thing I've figured out that works is raw wood.

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Termak »

j3robins wrote:Does anyone have a list of what can be composted? The only thing I've figured out that works is raw wood.
Pretty much everything "bio" related, algae, wood, plants, seeds etc

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Termak wrote:I actually started new game just since Alien Biomes came out and managed to find already 5 temperate gardens, but the ground is prolly default green grass.
Havent found other gardens yet, and i havent seen other vanilla biomes near me, though i havent been able to run far. How could i hack it to work with all the biomes?

Also could you make the gardens bigger, it feels bit silly to have to run around with the deconstruction planner to even find the things.
They are marked on the minimap too as colored dots. Gardens and the special trees have different colors.

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Termak »

mrvn wrote:
Termak wrote:I actually started new game just since Alien Biomes came out and managed to find already 5 temperate gardens, but the ground is prolly default green grass.

They are marked on the minimap too as colored dots. Gardens and the special trees have different colors.
Cough, check the date :)

Eusebius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Eusebius »

Hi...

My main issue with gardening is that it requires fertilizer, fertilizer requires compost, and I can't make compost without gardening. At least, it seems to be the case with my mod combo (mostly based on Angel+Bob).

More specifically, FNEI tells me that:
  • The only way to get Fertilizer is with Compost and Urea gas;
  • The only way to get Compost is with Fermentation base (aerobic or anaerobic fermentation);
  • I can get fermentation base only from Fruits or Corn;
  • I need Fertilizer to get any source of Fruits or Corn.
I'm effectively shut up outside of gardening.

Incidently, I have also observed that teh composter seemed to have no purpose / no recipe. I guess it could be related... At first I thought it was because of the alpha status, but now I'm guessing one of my mods is breaking some aspects of bio-processing... Any ideas?

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Termak »

You can compost almost any biological item, wood, cellulose, any algae, any plant you farm etc.
Personally i think that FNEI sucks, clunky ui and does not show everything, What is it really used for? is imo much better, you can see overview so much easier, following production chains is easy, ui is great etc.

Eusebius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Eusebius »

Termak wrote:You can compost almost any biological item, wood, cellulose, any algae, any plant you farm etc.
OK... But how, then? In what kind of building? I have no recipe for that, either in FNEI or in the vanilla interface (I tried What is it really used for as well, but in the end I preferred FNEI).

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

The composter building is responsible for making compost, it's basically an automatic building like an electric furnace, but instead of converting ore to plates, it converts organic items (like brown algae) into compost.

Hanakocz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hanakocz »

FNEI does not show composter recipes, so just build composter and put something into it (for example raw wood) and voila, compost is done.

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Termak »

Eusebius wrote:
Termak wrote:You can compost almost any biological item, wood, cellulose, any algae, any plant you farm etc.
OK... But how, then? In what kind of building? I have no recipe for that, either in FNEI or in the vanilla interface (I tried What is it really used for as well, but in the end I preferred FNEI).
If you click the compost recipe, which you can find by looking for compost, it shows its done in the "Composter" which is also displayed in the search from "What is it really used for" :)

Return to “Angels Mods”