[0.17.x] ShinyAngelGFX

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.17.x] ShinyAngelGFX

Post by Zombiee »

Title: ShinyAngelGFX
Short Desc: Coloration of Angel's buildings by tier.
Factorio Version: 0.15
Mod State: Beta
Dependencies: Base, Angel
Author: Zombiee
Downloads:https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Zombiee/ShinyAngelGFX

Basically an Angel's version of ShinyBobGFX. Graphics are modified to color code entities in a semi consistent manner. No recipe changes or quality of life changes. Also no config or settings at this time. Yellow -> Red -> Blue -> Purple is the color progression by tier, same as ShinyBobGFX.

Portions of buildings or highlights are colored rather than the entire sprite. My aim is to make clear what tier a building is and make finding the lone low tier item easy without making your base a garish mess of color.

Nearly all buildings are included. Feedback welcomed.
Screenshots
Last edited by Zombiee on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:16 am, edited 7 times in total.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] ShinyAngelGFX

Post by jodokus31 »

I like it.
Angel's graphics are really nice, but it was very hard to recognize different tiers.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Thanks. Let me know once you play with it a while if any change is too subtle or so severe that it's jarring. I'm on the fence with a few of them myself. Working on smelting buildings now .. they're harder.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

The only notable thing that needs to be done due to inconsistency would be the ore crusher, sorter, purifier, leaching, etc.
They still follow the Angel Gray -> Blue -> Red -> Yellow and are still difficult to distinguish from each other. That is unless you simply haven't gotten to those yet.

I'm also unsure if this mod is doing it specifically, but the broken pipe connections sometimes blink in front of the entity. Naturally they're removed when pipes are connected, but it is distracting.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Simply haven't done them yet, they were low priority since there is some variation. I'll do them once salination plant and smelting are complete.

As to the blinky pipes, that's not something I've noticed. Specific building or actions to recreate?

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Zombiee wrote:Simply haven't done them yet, they were low priority since there is some variation. I'll do them once salination plant and smelting are complete.

As to the blinky pipes, that's not something I've noticed. Specific building or actions to recreate?
You can spot it on your example picture here, purple steam cracker. Which is odd because the steam cracker does not have an animation

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

The advanced chemical plants appear to be lacking a visual connection to the middle pipe connector. I assume it's just a visual thing due to the rotation, but nevertheless it is noticeable.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Arch666Angel wrote:You can spot it on your example picture here, purple steam cracker. Which is odd because the steam cracker does not have an animation
Yes, I see it now .. now I cannot un-see it. It seems to have something to do with my color layer maybe being on the same layer as the pipe connections maybe? The pipe is above or below at random depending on zoom and screen position, it doesn't make any sense.

That being said, if I create a 3rd layer for my stuff, the pipes are overwritten all the time rather than blinking from front to back as you run by.

I don't seen an obvious solution yet.

eloquentJane wrote:advanced chemical plants appear to be lacking a visual connection to the middle pipe connector
That's actually the way it was originally and not something I screwed up. I was surprised.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Light wrote: the broken pipe connections sometimes blink in front of the entity
I believe I've fixed the blinky pipe issue, added the smelting buildings I had done as well. Feedback please, are they too bold/bright?

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Zombiee wrote:Feedback please, are they too bold/bright?
Yes.

They should all blend together nicely with each other, however they're too bright in comparison and thus stand out way too much. (Yay, irony)

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Light wrote:
Zombiee wrote:Feedback please, are they too bold/bright?
Yes.

They should all blend together nicely with each other, however they're too bright in comparison and thus stand out way too much. (Yay, irony)
I am currently at the red ones with science tech. They look not bad, but i think the purple ones will be a bit over the top. I really liked the original orange-brown style, which should remain the main color imho. Maybe you can change only a small bit in the entities, which are placed on the ground, and a bit more bold in inventory & crafting menu to be able to diffentiate easily
Anyway, thanks for your work and your will to receive feedback

Exasperation
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Exasperation »

My opinion:
large image, expand to view
The buildings I've circled in green are fine. The ones circled in yellow are OK, but noticeably brighter when placed side-by-side with the others. The ones circled in red look too bright, even when by themselves (especially noticeable with the purple ones, which start to look more pink instead). Additional note: with the oil & gas separator, it's just the pipe in front that's overly bright, the details on top are fine.

Thanks for putting in the effort to work on this, I was always a fan of the ShinyBob unified color coding system.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Light wrote:blend together nicely with each other, however they're too bright in comparison
I assume you mean that the smelting stuff looks good with each other, but breaks the pattern of subdued coloring from the petrochem stuff and clashes with that. If that's so. I agree, I'm working on a set that doesn't look like a clown car convention. Same areas colored with much duller colors.
jodokus31 wrote:I really liked the original orange-brown style, which should remain the main color imho
I also agree here also, but I had problems trying to isolate a convenient area to recolor. If I leave some orange in one building, I need to leave some orange in all of them in a similar ratio or it looked odd. But the pellet press has so little color and the blast furnace so much. I'll probably finish the dull color wash for the rest of smelting, add the refining buildings I skipped and then revisit smelting. Make a 2nd set that does much smaller portions in color, include both and use that to figure out how to add options.
Exasperation wrote: buildings I've circled in green are fine. The ones circled in yellow are OK, but noticeably brighter when placed side-by-side with the others. The ones circled in red look too bright, even when by themselves (especially noticeable with the purple ones, which start to look more pink instead)
Wonderful feedback, thank you. I'll probably do a 2nd look at the air filter and the hydroplant, make them just a little duller. The liquifier is odd, it is a little bright and I like that the animation is a different color but I still have trouble spotting a Mk1 in the middle of a row of Mk2. I might just start that one over, not sure what to color though.

Smelting - yeah, changing. The separator isn't something I had noticed in my playthrough ... now I can't NOT notice it. /sarcasm "Thanks, I was hoping I had more to do!" In reality though, I tacked that pipe on as an afterthought because the knobs (?) were just too small.

Side note - if you haven't taken the time to zoom in and watch the animations in smelting, you should. The detail and number of moving parts is amazing (and super frustrating when you're trying to make an overlay).

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

With the color now dulled they all look great together and no longer distract me when I'm building multi-tier buildings side by side. Purple also looks like purple now instead of more of a pink, and the smelting structures look very cool despite not being the default orange any longer.

I will sometimes play Factorio with my little brother (who's 7 years old), he also thanks you for the color improvements since he can more easily identify buildings at a glance, but also because he loves blue and so he sticks to Mk3 most of the time :lol:

Exasperation
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Exasperation »

The new versions all look good to me, too. Nice work!

PS - I have watched those animations, and they're amazing. The induction furnace is particularly hypnotic. I certainly wouldn't want to try to recreate those overlays, so thank you again for the time and effort.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Released some more buildings; sintering oven, powder mixer and all the ore handling buildings. I believe all that is left are the filtration-unit, crystallizer and salination plant, anything else?

I tried splitting the sintering oven differently, leaving some of the original coloring of features (and the logo of course). I think I like it and might do the rest of the smelting buildings in a similar fashion.

On a side note, anyone know how to do the fancy 'plus' button so I can hide my screenshots?

Exasperation
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Exasperation »

The sintering oven does look really good that way.

The plus button is the closed spoiler tag (the "spoiler=" button when you're posting). Basically,

Code: Select all

[spoiler=description here]contents here[/spoiler]
becomes
description here

adamcirillo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by adamcirillo »

Getting this error with the lastest update. Unable to create Sprite (1920x180) probably not enough video memory I have GTX 1070 8Gb of ram. Using Waitex and shinybob as well

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Does it say which sprite? Does turning off WaiTex remove the error?

adamcirillo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by adamcirillo »

so disabling waitex makes it load up and I can get to load up with waitex if I enable texture compresson. also I had no issues with 15.3 shinyangels. I've also attached my log file as well
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(63.1 KiB) Downloaded 234 times

Return to “Angels Mods”