Hydrazine for power generation

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

Mustacheion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Hydrazine for power generation

Post by Mustacheion »

I am trying to get the most out of my coal, and have come up with a pretty interesting chain. I am using the clean coke option to get sulfur out of my coke production. The sulfuric wastewater is sent to bio reactors to make ammonia which ultimately becomes hydrazine fuel. I feel like this is a rather neat way to use byproducts and get the most out of your coal. However, upon setting up the infrastructure to do this, I have decided that the chlorine demand is far too high for this to really be economical. Does anybody else think that it would be a fun game-play enhancement if the chlorine requirement for producing hydrazine was substantially reduced so as to make this viable? It is quite a complicated setup altogether, and I really like having the option to gain small efficiency boosts to your factory in the late game by finding cycles like this.

Hydrazine doesn't actually contain any chlorine; the chlorine is just used as a catalyst during fabrication. The current production chain is: chlorine -> sodium hypochlorite -> monochloramine -> hydrazine + hydrogen chloride. In my installation, I hacked the mod to add a recipe to convert hydrogen chloride into chlorine and hydrogen (its just a reverse of the recipe to make hydrogen chloride). It would be nice if you would add an official recipe to the mod to do this. But with the stoichiometry in its current form I still lose chlorine: 20 chlorine in turns into 20 HCl out which turns into only 10 chlorine. If we were to make sodium hypochlorite cost half as much chlorine to produce, then the whole hydrazine process would be chlorine neutral, and my problem would be solved.

Given how complicated the production chain is, I strongly suspect that producing hydrazine fuel off of your coal byproducts for use in boilers to generate power leads to a net loss in power, so I don't think it would be overpowered or game-breaking to make this change. Its more about stretching your coal to the limit for keeping your blast furnaces running.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Hydrazine for power generation

Post by Arch666Angel »

When I played recently on the KoS server I noted down several things for petrochem, including some small tweaks for the rocket fuel chain. Another thing is the recipe to break down hydrogen-chloride, which also already exists on the portal. On top of that a buff for the later kali-chemistry processes (molten salt) is on the agenda, it's way to slow.

Return to “Angels Mods”