is there tutorial/lets play for anglels + bobs mods?

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

NameLips
Inserter
Inserter

is there tutorial/lets play for anglels + bobs mods?

Post by NameLips »

I got tired of vanilla factorio and decided "I'm smart. I'm going to download the biggest, most complicated mod pack I can find and play with it!"

So I downloaded ArumbasAngelBobs.

I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I tried to jump in and figure things out, but it was hard just to make iron and copper plates! I haven't even gotten to the good stuff in the mods!

I could use a little help. Is there a wiki, tutorial, or youtube series that shows how this mod pack works?

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: is there tutorial/lets play for anglels + bobs mods?

Post by Arch666Angel »

Most stuff that is helpful can either be found in the subforum, the development and discussion thread or on reddit (google is your friend).

Some Let's Plays, I would recommend Nilaus' Let's Play he does a good job in explaining and building a somewhat orderly base :D
viewtopic.php?f=185&t=32303

Kazuar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kazuar »

Not a tutorial series, but an ongoing series made by, of course, Arumba himself.

Note that the modpacks you can download are for multiplayer servers he maintains for his community, which are in turn "inspired" by his series - there is a slight difference between what he plays with and what's in the modpacks. The important parts (bobs, angels) are in the series, though.

Other than that, I can recommend a mod called "What is it used for?", which adds a UI element that you can use to look up any kind of item that exists in your game, and then shows you by what recipies it is produced or consumed. It has helped me out a great deal, both in finding a use for byproducts, and to work out the chain of how to get what I want (turns out, bobs mods add cobalt steel plates whose only reason to exist is a high-tier mining tool and a suit of non-powered armor, or electrum plates that need to be researched extra, then made from other plates, only to be used for literally no other recipe than one single, specific tier of solar panels.)

Finally, there is an imgur link somewhere on reddit, I think, provided by the modmaker of angels mods, that shows a rundown of how, generally, ore sorting in angels refining works, and then there is another diagram on the internet (can't remember where, exactly) that shows how products/recipes in angels petrochem interact.

Generally speaking, you obtain smeltable ores mainly by sorting raw ore, which in turn needs to be processed before the sorting - higher grades of processing "expand" the yield of the sorting. 3-crushed-to-2-plates smelting recipes exist as a way to get you started. Then there is petrochem, which broke down the vanilla style crude oil patches down to two seperate kind of patches, yielding "multi-phased oil" and "natural gas", respectively, that need to be refined before the refining before the cracking before the....

With that general idea, and the "What is it used for?" mod, you'll be taming this beast for sure.
[Note: I'm actually sorry if my posts come off as rude; english is not my native language, and I'm not aware of all it's nuances. Please do point out my misadoptions in tone!]

xaviershay
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xaviershay »

I'm streaming one currently! First episodes are on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBwKBUw ... F7QFJd2v-- , Twitch has the raw footage https://www.twitch.tv/xaviershay

NameLips
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NameLips »

Thanks for the replies guys! Of course, I found Arumba's series shortly after I posted this, and that helped kick start things.

I was doing pretty well, until I hit the need for plastic... Angel must be insane. Petrochem is... horrifying.

I reconstructed the modpack for my own use -- with a couple other mods I like, and without Petrochem. I'm weak. I admit it.

xaviershay, I might check out your series! Going to get caught up on Arumba's first though. I'll gladly watch him suffer instead of me. :twisted:

NameLips
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NameLips »

quick question, not sure if it's worth starting a new topic:

Is it worth the trouble to send barrels of water down the bus? Or liquids in general? And just unbarrel them each time they're needed as an ingredient?

Piping down the bus seems like such a hassle, but so does returning all the barrels.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... QyaVg2dXd8

Really depends on your taste on how much throughput you need, both sides have they up and down, although you are more flexible barreling stuff, since it can be shipped by robots and trains.

NameLips
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NameLips »

OK I just spent the last several hours figuring out how to get a refining setup going once I researched Floatation Cells.

I finally got it going, and I'm probably a little unreasonably proud of what I came up with so I thought I'd share it.

Note the way I filter out the crushed stone, and the way I have a few filter inserters dealing with the geodes. That's the bit I really like, since it doesn't seem to slow it down at all.

I also like the way I got the pipes arranged for the purified water and sulfuric waste water.

I have no idea if this will expand well once I get the leeching and refineries. I haven't looked at them at all.

Edit: I also don't have Mark 2 floatation cells yet, so the ratios aren't quite right. But it seems to be functioning well.
Attachments
factorio_refining.jpg
factorio_refining.jpg (488.79 KiB) Viewed 7530 times

Return to “Angels Mods”