Bugs & FAQ

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Bugs & FAQ

Post by Arch666Angel »

The pre-requisites are oriented towards the processing recipes that the tech unlocks. The buildings are usually placed in their corresponding tech level. That's because in almost all cases you don't need the higher building tiers to run the new recipes. So the important unlock for you is the new recipes not the new building tier.

Mithaldu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mithaldu »

My issue is that i'm running into recipes that i can research, but which i flat out can't run at all, neither their siblings, due to lacking prerequisite materials. Maybe it's related to the fact that i'm playing with SeaBlock. Here's my current set of modifications to make the tech tree make more sense:

angelsbioprocessing_0.5.9
look tree aboretum 1 behind farming 1 (soil)
lock tree aboretum 2 behind nitrogen processing 2 (fertilizer -> urea gas)

angelsrefining_0.9.14
lock water treatment 2 behind bio paper 2 (nitric waste water)
lock advanced ore refining behind cement processing (clay brick)
lock geode-processing behind water-washing-2 (washing for geodes)

angelssmelting_0.4.6
lock cement processing 1 behind water washing 2 (limestone)
lock metallurgy 2 behind cement processing 1 (clay brick)
lock powder metallurgy behind cement processing 1 (clay brick)

SeaBlock_0.2.17
lock bio-wood-processing-3 behind bio-processing-green (cellulose paste)

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

tbh, most of the techs are quite cheap, like 50-100 flasks, so i dont mind running into dead ends that solve later, where "later" is pretty cheap, at the same flask level.
i too noticed that you need alot of other stuff unlocked everywhere, but i think thats down to the massive tech tree.

I find it quite disturbing at times, but i think searching and adding all the dependencies (and maybe having to remove them later when juggling around with it) is too much to ask from Angel and could get messed up when doing them now. In fact last year i read quite some criticism towards him, for making so much tiny technologies with alot of cross dependecies. The tech tree view would be a even more of "mess" if they were actually all locked behind even more tecs.

When you start that mod, you should have some basic knowledge of the game, the tech tree search function and so on.

Its not only what you listed, but actually quite some early game stuff like Basic electronic boards which is locked behind "only" Electronics 1, but you also need carbon, which is locked behind coal processing. Thats assuming you play with some Bob´s too, i dont really like either as a standalone and i think its quite rare people play that. Well, ive seen some Bob´s only, but never Angel´s only. And i think its meant that way, afterall he named an ore after Bob ;) which is not present without Bob´s metals and all the refining just a little extention to iron and copper chains, with Jivolite and Crotinnium being a bit better,

While i understand that its not easy to see through all that for newcomers to the package, you should get used to it faily quick, or stick to something a bit easier. Its not perfect. But its awesome. And i wouldn´t let the (not-so-)dead ends spoil my fun, because they are not actually game breaking with massive research costs that you may have overlooked
Last edited by GrumpyJoe on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mithaldu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mithaldu »

Yes, i've thought about all of that before on my own already. Doesn't change that there might be potential to improve things so others can benefit from them.

Also, given that i'm already modifying the thing on my own, it should be obvious that the tangents based on the assumption i'm a clueless newbie didn't contribute.

And lastly, something you overlook: Having a well-structured tech tree is not purely for the benefit of a newbie, but also helpful for offloading extraneous bits of memory from seasoned players. Otherwise you could just as well remove ALL tech tree dependencies and demand players remember what is necessary for what.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

sorry, but nowhere on the last 2 pages did i see you post something about modding it yourself (might have overlooked it), and the fact that you are on the boards 2 years longer than me (which i didn´t look at before, i just checked now) doesn´t mean anything.

I wasn´t assuming that you are a total newbie and i hope it didn´t come across that way.

My opinion on this is that its pretty structured already, since you dont really need another tech level when running into those tiny roadbloacks.
You just need to invest 50 flasks of the same tech level, maybe a multiple of that because you sometimes need 2-3 other techs to finally make what you want.

Its just not like vanilla, where almost everything is guiding you along the tech tree, but its also not like you run into a situation where you need to tec up to be able to craft a reciepe you just learned but cant fully craft yet.
The "next big thing" is locked behind the next color of science packs, i consider that as a structure Angel was talking about on top of this page (withou using the word), and im fine with that.

Could it be improved? Sure, everything can, thats why Wube isn´t finished yet either. But this is a major overhaul mod, much more complicated than vanilla, done by a single person.

Also, im not saying you shouln´t ask for improvements, but bringing up a total drop of dependencies "and let everyone figure it out themself" isn´t helping a discussion either.
And im not against it, since it wouldn´t change the mod itself.
But with 0.17 around the corner, i think everyone has some more pressing things to do

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

I'll just answer that with some uncommented screenshots

Mithaldu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mithaldu »

Yeah, board reg time doesn't mean shit, but: I mentioned that the list above is my modifications. Then i proceeded to name exact versions of the mods i'd applied them to. And yeah, i actually have them all in git repositories so i can track them forward if newer updates of mods are released.

And even without having access to my repositories, anyone who mods the code will be able to very quickly apply the very same changes based on my post. I would've preferred to make pull requests to git repos, but i guess they aren't public.

As for your points on costs and tiers: Nitrogen Processing adds 4 techs to Aboretum 2 (though same tier). Bio Paper 2 is tier 2, as opposed to Water Treatment 2, which is T1. Washing 2 is T2, as opposed to Cement Processing, which is T1. Right now there's definitely teching-up made necessary.

Additionally SeaBlock comes with some fairly unique constraints that make costs a lot more steep.

And i guess i should've written "possibility" instead of "assumption". Hope that makes it a little more clear.

Mithaldu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mithaldu »

Arch666Angel wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:38 pm
I guess that means you're rejiggering everything anyhow.

I can understand if that means you've little time to care about v.16-compatible mods, though given that v.17 will require a restart of the game and quite a few people might not want to do that yet, it might be nice to make a few small point releases of the .16 line.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

Arch666Angel wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:38 pm
so you plan to drop research labs on us in 0.17?

i'm still not unsure if splitting research into different labs is good idea ... well, we will see, when it's done.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

As a newbie to Angel, it took me quite some time to figure out some quirks,
I'm thinking especially about the way how Arboretums require Farming (for Compost/Soil) - my fault for playing without Bob's Greenhouses ?
(AFAIK Angel did a great job in making for instance Refining work without Angel & Bob's ores...)
Or the way that you can't progress that much in Red/Green Sci before you have T2 circuits
(Arboretums again - this is even more true for steel of course, but I was at least expecting that...)
Then it might not be that simple, because some techs can give other stuff that you don't need the same prerequisites for (though I can't think of one off the top of my head...)

Otherwise, some similar Green techs that should perhaps be higher in the tech tree that I can think of :
- Water Salinization (IIRC requires T3 circuits ?)
- Advanced smelting of the most advanced metals (IIRC everything that uses them is locked behind Blue science...)
But these are more of a slight annoyance, as they are relatively cheaper, and if you get this far, you probably won't be bothered much anyway...
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vjbone »

locale bug
angel smelting

dog_365
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dog_365 »

if i make a mod that depends on petrochem do i then have permision to use/modefy(for new fluids and technologys) the fluid icon?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

How about Metallurgy 1 giving you the Blast Furnace and friends that all need steel? Maybe add a depends on steel there.

Bobblybook
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bobblybook »

Minor locale issue: the recipe for "Okarinome Seed" has its ingredients listed as "5x Dormant Temp3Seed" instead of Dormant Okarinome Seed.

tbelaire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tbelaire »

Minor issue:

When using Angel's Petrochem, Refining and Smelting, you can craft Copper, Iron and Steel powder, but it has no use.

I'm thinking about doing a Angel's with no Bobs run with 0.17 I wouldn't mind even running just the oil and gas refining alone. I think it would just need to export plastic, sulpher, lube and solid fuel (-> rocket fuel the boring way)

But now I've seen this interesting iron pebbles and slag chain, and I think I might run with that, and a the 0.17 science recipies.

timuslala
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by timuslala »

I have issue. There is no 0.17 support.

MisterFister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MisterFister »

timuslala wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:20 pm
^^ Second. For myself specifically, my issue is with the Warehouses mod in an otherwise vanilla-plus playthrough. I.e., I'd presume that the Warehouses mod is relatively lightweight in modding terms.

Also, meta-question: What is the in-game usage scenario for Ore Silos as distinguished from the separate Warehouses? I understand that the Silos are smaller in terms of footprint... but is that it?

My own example is that I wonder if there's a reason to use OS at all in favor of Warehouses generally.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

timuslala wrote:
Angel has an issue too, as there's a lack of chocolate fuel to continue working.
Chocolate Fund

Donate today to allow him to keep the girl occupied with sweets so he can resume his mods.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

MisterFister wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:23 pm
timuslala wrote:
^^ Second. For myself specifically, my issue is with the Warehouses mod in an otherwise vanilla-plus playthrough. I.e., I'd presume that the Warehouses mod is relatively lightweight in modding terms.

Also, meta-question: What is the in-game usage scenario for Ore Silos as distinguished from the separate Warehouses? I understand that the Silos are smaller in terms of footprint... but is that it?

My own example is that I wonder if there's a reason to use OS at all in favor of Warehouses generally.
It's probably so simple that you could change the reference to the version from 0.16 to 0.17 in the mod yourself, and it would work...

Yeah silos are just smaller, and contain less and are cheaper.
Ore silos are also prettier. :P
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

entity279
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by entity279 »

Light wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:25 pm
timuslala wrote:
Angel has an issue too, as there's a lack of chocolate fuel to continue working.
Chocolate Fund

Thanks. Incominging chocolate then. Factorio is literally unplayable without Angels' mods

Return to “Angels Mods”