Development and Discussion

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

Toxomania
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Development and Discussion

Post by Toxomania »

ncc1702 wrote:Can we have a "Trigger Mod" to use the vanilla and Bob's Plate textures?
Yes, please! I can't stand the new textures, especially the iron/copper/steel ones, it just looks ridiculous. Most of them don't look like metal plates but rather like a piece of plastic or soap. I appreciate the effort, but I think the ones that are derived from the vanilla textures just look the most fitting, whereas (IMO) ones like zinc or silicon could indeed use a change. It's gonna take a while to get used to the new wires as well.

Other than that, I really like the new changes to the mod mechanics!

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

Hey Angel, perhaps there could be a way to use graphene filtering for water in the Petrochem mod? https://www.yahoo.com/news/graphene-sie ... 00721.html

What about air filtering CO2? http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38391034

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hello Angel,

what do you mean with "DONT UPGRAD FROM 0.1 VERSIONS"? Factorio updates all mods semi automatically.
Please move the 0.2 branch to an Alpha mod so we can play with the 0.1 branch.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

steinio wrote:Hello Angel,

what do you mean with "DONT UPGRAD FROM 0.1 VERSIONS"? Factorio updates all mods semi automatically.

Greetings steinio
You will keep the buildings, you will keep the items. But that's it, technologies have changed so you might have to reset them via console, recipe chains have changed so you have to rebuild all your setups.
If you upgrade, be aware of these things.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Arch666Angel wrote:
steinio wrote:Hello Angel,

Greetings steinio
You will keep the buildings, you will keep the items. But that's it, technologies have changed so you might have to reset them via console, recipe chains have changed so you have to rebuild all your setups.
If you upgrade, be aware of these things.
Factorio updates all mods semi automatically.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

magals
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by magals »

How build Steel Sheet Coil?

ShadowScaleFTL
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ShadowScaleFTL »

Would be in future a good way to migrate from 1.4 to 2.x ? As with marathon and bobs extended its about 60-100 hours to play a new game from start and its not good…

May be reset techs with migration?

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Refining --0.6.12
-updated icons to match new plates in smelting
-increased output of manganese and chrome
-disabled sand recipe (no use as of yet)
-enabled productivity for all recipes in ore-sorting-facilities and crystallizers

Petrochem --0.4.7
-added fluorite override for UP

Smelting --0.2.3
-changed plate icons
-added some missing powder recipes

Logistics ---0.1.2
-reduced weight for the crawler
-removed ghost-layer from the zone expander, it now respects collision again
-changed gfx for 2x2 chests

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

I was thinking about a solution concerning redundant recipes and multiple identical resources you get when having many mods that contain the same thing.

I came with an idea. Create a single mod file that when active, merges recipes (you can either set to leave only recipes that require the most resources OR least resources) and resources. I am in the stage of coming with a mechanism on how to do that. Such mod would make Angel's/Bob's conversion valves for fluids irrelevant.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

I have a suggestion regarding the latest changelog. A potential use for sand could perhaps be an alternative way of producing glass, instead of using silicon. Or perhaps there could be a sand processing method that creates silicon in small amounts with some byproduct (possibly slag) - probably not enough to sustain an entire factory's silicon needs with a reasonable amount of machines, but enough for supplementary systems and to represent the fact that most sand is primarily composed of silicon dioxide.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Arch666Angel wrote:Petrochem --0.4.7
-added fluorite override for UP
Speaking of UP, I've modified the refining mod file to reflect the balance changes that Fatmice intended here. Should anyone wish to use it to refine their builds before he adds it in officially.

This would go in the prototypes folder in the refining mod. (v0.6.12)

The balance changes are:
2+2+2 method gives 1 ore instead of 6.
Slag processing gives 1 ore at probability of 0.05 instead of 0.5.
Attachments
refining-override.lua
UP re-balancing
(20.08 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

Is there a possibility for Infinite Ores to support Hardcrafting sometime?

Chukles
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chukles »

I think it is impossible right now to get the "Washing Plant MK2". I can request it but not build it.

E: I cant find a recipe for "Sodium Sulfate" either. This is needed for an alternative Sodium Recipe in the Electrolyser.

terror_gnom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by terror_gnom »

I´m not sure if its the right topic here, but I didnt like my resource generation with RSO installed (chose each resource: Frequency Low, size big, richness big). It was still too much stuff around and way too close together.
So I did some testing and the Frequency setting in the "vanilla" Mapgen-screen seemed to have no influence on the Frequency. The patches seemed to be bigger with more size but they were still realy close together :(
While exploring, there were a lot of cut off resource patches (probably at chunk boarders).
To explore it, I used

Code: Select all

/c local radius = 2^11; game.player.force.chart(game.player.surface, {{game.player.position.x - radius, game.player.position.y - radius}, {game.player.position.x + radius, game.player.position.y + radius}})
I have no clue, if this is a bug in Angels, RSO or the combination of both, but I would like to have my very sparse, big resource fields back :P with my current settings it feels like I could belt in enough resoruces for the next 10 million rockets :/

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

terror_gnom wrote:I´m not sure if its the right topic here, but I didnt like my resource generation with RSO installed (chose each resource: Frequency Low, size big, richness big). It was still too much stuff around and way too close together.
So I did some testing and the Frequency setting in the "vanilla" Mapgen-screen seemed to have no influence on the Frequency. The patches seemed to be bigger with more size but they were still realy close together :(
While exploring, there were a lot of cut off resource patches (probably at chunk boarders).
To explore it, I used

/c local radius = 2^11; game.player.force.chart(game.player.surface, {{game.player.position.x - radius, game.player.position.y - radius}, {game.player.position.x + radius, game.player.position.y + radius}})
I have no clue, if this is a bug in Angels, RSO or the combination of both, but I would like to have my very sparse, big resource fields back :P with my current settings it feels like I could belt in enough resoruces for the next 10 million rockets :/
In the RSO config file, you must modify a few values.

These are the key lines (Already modified to suit your needs):

region_size = 12	-- alternative mean to control how further away resources would be, default - 256 tiles or 8 chunks
				-- each region is region_size*region_size chunks
				-- each chunk is 32*32 tiles

absolute_resource_chance = 0.50 -- chance to spawn an resource in a region
starting_richness_mult = 1		-- multiply starting area richness for resources
global_richness_mult = 1.5		-- multiply richness for all resources except starting area
global_size_mult = 3			-- multiply size for all ores, doesn't affect starting area
These settings would create massive regions far apart from each other, with a rare chance to spawn ores within each region. The ore patch sizes will be massive with richness at a moderate level.
Constantly adjust the region size if you find that 12 is too spread out, or increase the size above 3 if you want patches miles longer than it already is.

You may also modify how rare the infinite ores are, so that finding one would be like a treasure hunt, or you may disable them entirely. Just read the notes in the config file to know how to control the spawning to your liking.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

RSO has known issue with very big ore patches - they might be cut out due to not generated chunks that they try to spawn on.
If you are looking only at minimap be aware that patch on minimap can look cut after generation even when it's ok and minimap will only update with visiting it or radar scans.

If you want everything more sparse then increasing region size is the way to go. Using size multiplier of 3 as given in example might trigger the patch cutting bug earlier then default settings.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

While waiting for 0.15, I created designs for every single ingot aside from platinum, and I must say that they were quite a joy to design as they were almost all different from each other. My ideal setup was something that can create usable ingots at 2160/m, which are very compact and thus easy to blueprint as required. Loaders were also to be used as sparingly as possible, with no bob's inserters mod installed whatsoever.

Manganese was easily the most fun to make personally, mainly because I love seeing self sustaining recipes in action, as the iron ingots are burned, recycled, and reused again. Chrome was the most headache inducing to make due to its byproducts in every single step, this was a true pain in the ass for me to keep clean.

The only ingot that was disappointing was titanium. For such an advanced material, it's the easiest one to make. The non-pellet recipes looked more beneficial and interesting to setup, so I feel the titanium pellet smelting line needs a rework to make it at least somewhat more interesting.

Other than that, this is a good step in the right direction. No more copy/paste of a single design for all. Now just to wait for 0.15 and the new smelting ratios to get done before using them.
----

For those curious about what they all look like thus far, here's a picture. Tweaks will be made in the future when they're not using creative mod and start receiving actual materials from trains and use each others byproducts.
Example builds
Max Power Consumption and Ingot rate

pederbonde
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pederbonde »

How do i make Muddy-water? sorry if this have been asked before, the search function didnt find anything but i think i used it wrong.

Edit: found it, same research unlocked seafloor pump. and it quite obvious what it does, but i didnt see it.
Last edited by pederbonde on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

Light wrote:My ideal setup was something that can create usable ingots at 2160/m
Why 2160/m? That's 36/s which is only 9/10 of a blue belt. Unless that number is chosen because casting increases it to a full 40 plates per second (I don't know if it does because I don't have the latest version yet) wouldn't it make more sense from a utilitarian perspective to increase production to 2400/m (40/s)?

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

eloquentJane wrote:
Light wrote:My ideal setup was something that can create usable ingots at 2160/m
Why 2160/m? That's 36/s which is only 9/10 of a blue belt. Unless that number is chosen because casting increases it to a full 40 plates per second (I don't know if it does because I don't have the latest version yet) wouldn't it make more sense from a utilitarian perspective to increase production to 2400/m (40/s)?
It's mainly because of symmetry plus my own personal preference.

2160/m is the most the 3 processed ore + 2 pellet press could handle without modules, as well as keeping buildings as close to even numbers as possible with Mk4 buildings. The moment I altered that number even slightly, the balance was shifted and I needed a mix of Mk1's and Mk2's alongside the Mk4's to balance it out. This typically led to odd numbers of buildings, resulting in gaps of unused space. I avoided this as best as possible, since I wanted something small yet fast, so I could blueprint them multiple times and link them together in a small region.

Even still, modifications will be made when the development of the smelting mod is finished. The plan is to go full smelting in the late-game, but I already know that I'll need no more than a couple of each to satisfy demand for the majority of them based on previous playthroughs. (Iron will need 14 for both itself and steel, 6 are needed for copper, the rest are 1 or 2 at most)

As for casting, we'll have to see what Angel does to the ratios since it's still 1:1 so it's not worth looking into yet.

Return to “Angels Mods”