Development and Discussion

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

rexer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Development and Discussion

Post by rexer »

Hello, I apologize if this has been answered before or if this is the wrong place to ask, but: what sort of milestones need to be hit for another release to be cut?

I ask because a bug is preventing my save from loading until the next release.

I hope this doesn't come off as rude, I know open source work can be a thankless job. Thank you for all your work!

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

rexer wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:08 pm
Hello, I apologize if this has been answered before or if this is the wrong place to ask, but: what sort of milestones need to be hit for another release to be cut?

I hope this doesn't come off as rude, I know open source work can be a thankless job. Thank you for all your work!
The next bugfix release was planned for this weekend. The currently most active developer (Lovely_Santa) was tied up with real-life work recently.

rexer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by rexer »

valneq wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:12 pm

The next bugfix release was planned for this weekend. The currently most active developer (Lovely_Santa) was tied up with real-life work recently.
Nice! Thank you for the response!

lovely_santa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by lovely_santa »

Mecejide wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:13 pm
Suggestion: move following recipes added by Bob’s mods from the assembling machine to the sintering oven:
Ceramic pipe
Ceramic pipe to ground
Heat shielding tile.
I did the heat shield, not sure about ceramic, I could do this, but I left it out.. Let's wait on some feedback first...
Mecejide wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:51 pm
Related to the above, how about moving the setting recipes from petrochem to the casting machine?
Not sure what you mean by this...
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:08 pm

It released just now.. It all depends on our (my) time schedules and the impact of bug reports...
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:24 pm
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:12 pm

Nice! Thank you for the response!
Currently hard working on finishing university in January, I have some deadlines to catch.. You can always find me in the angels discord (link is always on the mod portal and mentioned a few times on the forums and github as well).
You can find all my mods on the mod portal. Also helping on Arch666Angel's mods.

Mecejide
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mecejide »

By setting recipes, I mean:
Liquid plastic->plastic bar
Liquid resin->resin
Liquid rubber->rubber
I guess you could also include concrete->concrete.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

The casting machine is designed to work with molten metals.
The petrochemical recipes operate at much lower temperatures.
Why should they be done in the same machine that handles molten metals?

Shukran
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Shukran »

hello
i am playing the green science era right now, but
i have a question about pebbles, nuggest and (iron and copper) slag.

why nuggets are produced less than pebbles, even if pebbles have they own recipe?

Kople101366
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kople101366 »

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:43 am
Kople101366 wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:36 am
the combining of sodium nitrate and sulfuric acid doesn't make hydrogen as a byproduct and the decomposition of sodium nitrate into no_x's should also make sodium oxide. #things-I-noticed
Is this about real-world accuracy or about gameplay balance? By far not all the chemical conversions in Angel's mods obey mass conservation or conservation of atomic nuclei for that matter. If you have serious gameplay balance concerns about the mentioned recipes, please be more specific. Pure complication because of realism's sake may not be the best selling point ;-)
All is fine just pointing it out. I assumed the mod author might have overlooked it. simple stoichiometry said that something was missing.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Kople101366 wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:40 pm
[…] simple stoichiometry said that something was missing.
I believe that stoichiometry will fail for about half the recipes in the modpack. But I have never checked that.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Shukran wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:36 pm
hello

why nuggets are produced less than pebbles, even if pebbles have they own recipe?
Dealing with the different outputs of a single recipe is a core design idea of Angel's Refining. Finding ways to increase efficiency and yield by combining different recipes is the main appeal of the entire modpack.

If you have serious concerns about the current recipes creating imbalance in the gameplay, please be more specific than that.

Lyko5
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Lyko5 »

Hello Everyone

I'm about 80+ hours in to a B&A run and was wondering if y'all would be willing to add support for the Dirty Barrels mod (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/dirtybarrels).

I just posted a request to TwistedSoul to add dirty bottles and I also have a snippet of code for Angel's Refining that would add optional support for the mod if y'all are willing to entertain the idea. Or even make it a native thing, I dunno.

Let me know your thoughts and if I can help in any way.

Thanks for some fantastic mods.

--Lyko5

lovely_santa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by lovely_santa »

Shukran wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:36 pm
hello

The goal of the refining is to obtain iron ore, not to smelt directly. So refining before smelting yield some improvement, yes, but going for all iron ore is even better. I posted some example pictures in discord as I double checked this with helmod:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (184.71 KiB) Viewed 5396 times
Since figuring things out is part of angels, I'm not gonna post the process to get to these numbers, but either smelting these pure ores directly, or putting them through metallurgy smelting will give you the best yield of plates possible.
Lyko5 wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:32 pm
Hello Everyone

I'm about 80+ hours in to a B&A run and was wondering if y'all would be willing to add support for the Dirty Barrels mod (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/dirtybarrels).

I just posted a request to TwistedSoul to add dirty bottles and I also have a snippet of code for Angel's Refining that would add optional support for the mod if y'all are willing to entertain the idea. Or even make it a native thing, I dunno.

--Lyko5
We try to add compatibility to most non-game changing mods, and in addition to bobs mods. We can help adding compatibility on the end of dirty barrels, but putting it inside angels is out of the question, only 'popular' mods (at this point only a handful) have some code inside angel. Of course, if you have a good reason why it couldn't reside inside dirty barrels mods themselves, we are open of adding it to angels as well of course.
You can find all my mods on the mod portal. Also helping on Arch666Angel's mods.

Lyko5
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Lyko5 »

lovely_santa wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:08 pm
Hello Everyone

--Lyko5
We try to add compatibility to most non-game changing mods, and in addition to bobs mods. We can help adding compatibility on the end of dirty barrels, but putting it inside angels is out of the question, only 'popular' mods (at this point only a handful) have some code inside angel. Of course, if you have a good reason why it couldn't reside inside dirty barrels mods themselves, we are open of adding it to angels as well of course.
Hey lovely_santa, thanks for the reply. I was going to open a thread with the author of Dirty Barrels too. I was thinking there might need to be support inside angels because of the order in which the mods load. The dirty barrels mod makes the recipe changes (replace empty-barrel with dirty-barrel, same with canisters) in data-updates. When allowed to do this on it's own, the angels data-final-fixes runs after dirty barrels initialization and then misses all the angels recipes. I made local edits and found that adding either a dependence in dirty barrels or a code change in angels solved this and I got the result I was looking for.

Essentially in override-functions.lua I did a if mods['dirtybarrels] then F_Empty.results = {replace empty-barrel/empty-canister with dirty}. However the changes in angels didn't fully solve the dirty gas bottles because dirty barrels does not support that yet, but I've asked them to. I was also tempted to write my own mod with both as dependencies and do it that way, or just fork dirty barrels (any maybe even https://mods.factorio.com/mod/intermedi ... containers) but wasn't sure made the most sense.

Lastly, I curious if this would present an opportunity for Angel's to put a spin on the concept and implement as a sub-mod like the Petrochemical, Storage, Refining, etc. Allowing the player to tightly integrate angels dirty barrels, containers, and bottles in with the existing angels ecosystem; barrels of different material types, maybe even things like IBC (Intermediate bulk containers) etc. Allowing different steam temperatures to clean the barrels more effectively, requiring some detergent to clean them ...

Of course I am willing to help in any part of the process regardless and am looking forward to hear your thoughts.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Just skipped the cut scene:
2020-12-16T14_17_25-Factorio 1.1.6.png
2020-12-16T14_17_25-Factorio 1.1.6.png (220.38 KiB) Viewed 5301 times

Not skipped:
Attachments
2020-12-16T14_19_24-Factorio 1.1.6.png
2020-12-16T14_19_24-Factorio 1.1.6.png (171.9 KiB) Viewed 5301 times

Innos
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Innos »

I recently started playing Factorio again, started with only Bob but now working on a full bobangel play through. Love the mod but there's two things that quite bothered me :

Cobalt plate has no uses
Wood made from algae can't be used for red circuits (phenol boards)

Less important but I don't see much benefit in most ore sorting options apart from catalyst and maybe cupric /ferrous mixture. I did use the bobmonium chunk sorting cuz i thought having tin, cobalt, silicia, zinc and extra sulfuric acid would be helpful for bootstrapping, but that's about it.

Apart from that great work!

lovely_santa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by lovely_santa »

Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:24 pm
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:08 pm
Hello Everyone

--Lyko5
Hey lovely_santa, thanks for the reply. I was going to open a thread with the author of Dirty Barrels too. I was thinking there might need to be support inside angels because of the order in which the mods load. The dirty barrels mod makes the recipe changes (replace empty-barrel with dirty-barrel, same with canisters) in data-updates. When allowed to do this on it's own, the angels data-final-fixes runs after dirty barrels initialization and then misses all the angels recipes. I made local edits and found that adding either a dependence in dirty barrels or a code change in angels solved this and I got the result I was looking for.

Essentially in override-functions.lua I did a if mods['dirtybarrels] then F_Empty.results = {replace empty-barrel/empty-canister with dirty}. However the changes in angels didn't fully solve the dirty gas bottles because dirty barrels does not support that yet, but I've asked them to. I was also tempted to write my own mod with both as dependencies and do it that way, or just fork dirty barrels (any maybe even https://mods.factorio.com/mod/intermedi ... containers) but wasn't sure made the most sense.

Lastly, I curious if this would present an opportunity for Angel's to put a spin on the concept and implement as a sub-mod like the Petrochemical, Storage, Refining, etc. Allowing the player to tightly integrate angels dirty barrels, containers, and bottles in with the existing angels ecosystem; barrels of different material types, maybe even things like IBC (Intermediate bulk containers) etc. Allowing different steam temperatures to clean the barrels more effectively, requiring some detergent to clean them ...

Of course I am willing to help in any part of the process regardless and am looking forward to hear your thoughts.
Since that mod solely introduces the dirty barrels, I feel like it's "easier" to implement a fix on their and and add an optional dependency on angels if necessary...
darkfrei wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:18 pm

Not skipped:
Are you running any additional mods? Could you send an (empty) save file so I can sync my modlist to reproduce this?

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Innos wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:12 pm
[…]
Wood made from algae can't be used for red circuits (phenol boards)
[…]
I don't think this is a bug, it is rather intended.
Algae can only make cellulose and consequently paper.
Phenolic boards require actual wood and solid resin.
The only source of renewable wood is the arboretum, but resin has multiple sources from either petrochem or bioprocessing. Depending on how you do it exactly it might be more or less convoluted, but there is a way to use green algae as a carbon source for liquid resin.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:24 pm

Are you running any additional mods? Could you send an (empty) save file so I can sync my modlist to reproduce this?
I haven't this modlist. Just tried to test the refining without other mods. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/angelsrefining

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:18 pm

Not skipped:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:59 am
I haven't this modlist. Just tried to test the refining without other mods. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/angelsrefining
I cannot reproduce with Angel's Refining 0.11.19, nor with the dev branch. Any special mod settings?
Also: Factorio 1.0.0, or 1.1.x?

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:56 am
I cannot reproduce with Angel's Refining 0.11.19, nor with the dev branch. Any special mod settings?
Also: Factorio 1.0.0, or 1.1.x?
I don't know how to reproduce it. Version as on screenshot, and screenshot file name.
Factorio 1.1.6

Return to β€œAngels Mods”