I do like this idea, have a queen small/medium/big biter that has a small chance to appear out of a biter egg. When breeding 2 queens together, these can lay an egg again. This way you can obtain multiple queens and start obtaining eggs that way. I do however want to keep some alien spores in there, so maybe they would require some advanced food, other than raw meat. Maybe meat dipped in alien goo, this way they still require some spores (instead of using all the spores in the eggsperiments).evandy wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:04 pmAgain, all of this is looking good. I think you are missing something though: Biters should have a breeding recipe (likely with a queen, which is a low% chance to acquire). Puffers shouldn’t be the long-term source of biter eggs, though you could go all “alien” and have the queens lay their eggs inside the puffers (require puffers for biter egg production). This would even justify the initial eggs - wild puffers might already be incubating new eggs. Does that sound at all interesting to you?lovely_santa wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:45 pmI have similar reasoning for your biters. Butchering biters will give you a 90% chance of getting you crystals. You should keep them in the zoo in order to get a guaranteed crystal and only have 10% chance of loosing a biter (meaning you get 10 shards/biter) on average. This again will only take 30 seconds instead of 60 seconds, which is already a x2 increase and you won't require as many puffer breedings. How you obtain the required meat is up to you, I would opt for hatching the other puffer eggs that you don't use and butcher them to obtain the meat. (which would most likely be gaseous puffers I believe). This should decrease the amount of biter eggs you require, resulting in less alien spores required as well.
Now to balance this out a bit, I think it would be good to increase the crystal production to 1/biter instead of 1/recipe, so the zoo keeping gives 4 crystals at once, which is a boost of x4. To make it a little easier, puffer breeding might have a higher chance of creating their own egg, but make sure the sum = 100%.
Sounds like a good idea, I just have to make sure that crystal dust -> crystal slurry is a lot more productive that crystal dust -> crystal powder -> crystal slurry. I'll have to look at the specific ratios. 10 dust + acid creates 50 slurry, and 50 powder creates 50 slurry. So I guess 10 dust creates 25 powder. I guess the 10 lubricant is also a nice balance for this. So the recipe would be 10 crystal dust + milling drum -> 25 crystam powder + used milling drum.evandy wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:04 pmYeah, I know. But can’t we use the ore powderizer (which is underused) to turn the crushed into dust?
Guess we can leave this out, now that we have the idea of the queens (for now).evandy wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:04 pmConcur with this idea; not sure how the recipe would work out, but makes much more sense than the random % distribution.lovely_santa wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:45 pmI prefer using fish to to get the alien spores, doing it with farming is a nice option if you don't want to do fish however. Santa ray can both be used as a meat generator and a meat sink (depending on what recipes you use). Fishing will definitely require less buildings with the suggestions I made, similar to the higher yield of the biter zoo keeping. I am still a bit lost on the puffers tho. Like I said a while back already, I do think making cross-breeding puffers to get a specific type of egg would be a better way of breeding, and have similar yields as the fish/biters.
I did some small increases to green algae:evandy wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:04 pmConcur don’t increase the Brown output in Green Algae I, so let’s just increase the green and leave the time alone? Decreasing time implicitly increases brown. Not sure if it’s a change for Angels to make, or Trainwreck in Seablock, but with the addition of the brown side-effect in Algae I, Algae II should probably see a corresponding bump in the output of green Algae too. Since Green is the main source of Seablock power in the early game, and electrolyzing for slag to make mineral water gives such a small positive feedback loop with the current balance. I am curious what Trainwreck thinks, if he is listening.lovely_santa wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:45 pmFor green algae I, I don't want to increase the brown algae anymore, since I don't want you to end up with stacks of brown algae... I could increase the green algae II to 50 or maybe 60 algae per cycle, but I rather just decrease the input from 100 to 80 and require 16 seconds instead of 20.evandy wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:58 pmOnly real exception to that is algae, which is much closer to in-balance as much as seablock has been banging on it. However, with the new Algae1 change, and the power consumption bump from Algae 2, I would suggest only modestly increasing output of algae farms (by 1.5x or 2x maybe).
Algae I now creates a bit more green algae, were the brown:green ratio was 5:20 is now 5:25.
Algae II crafts a bit faster now (15 sec instead of 20) to reduce power consumption
Algae II uses less input materials (80 instead of 100) to further reduce power consumption on input materials
Algae II is a bit more productive, creates 50 (was 40) algae per recipe.
In total, Algae II now produces 3.333/s instead of 2/s before.
Keep in mind that I can't increase it a lot further, as wood production should be a beter fuel source than algae.
Did you ever consider putting effectivity modules into your bio buildings? Especialy for your power setup, this realy reduces your power usage. For modules on the other hand I understand that this is quite power hungry.evandy wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:04 pmWhich segues into the final issue: power. It’s possible all the changes above will fix this (time will tell). But right now Bio looks to be very power-intensive; should a modest bio setup be eating 50% of the power of a modest sized base? Modules will just exacerbate this issue (as will higher tier machines). If the recipe changes do not bring it way down, then all the Bio machines’ power requirements should be lowered. Also on me module front: Will bio machines take productivity modules at all? If it’s just speed, then the power issue is really concerning.