Development and Discussion

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

NewSwiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Development and Discussion

Post by NewSwiss »

CitizenJoe wrote:Is it even possible to make enough mineralized water for use in crystal slurry filtering? Even using all my crushed stone and recycling all of my waste water, I barely have enough to turn the geodes from hydro refining into sludge.
If this is the case, then you're doing too much hydro refining. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you have a ton of ores just sitting in warehouses?

raTTy_aT
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by raTTy_aT »

Is it just me, but the process getting clay bricks you now need for ore crusher mk2 (which is still very early game if you see it from the research prospective) is a bit overkill?
Attachments
427520_screenshots_20170602150837_1.jpg
427520_screenshots_20170602150837_1.jpg (385.35 KiB) Viewed 9864 times

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Could push them back one tier so the mk3 crusher uses them. But if you play with smelting you need the setup anyway.

Catfight
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Catfight »

Arch666Angel wrote:
Catfight wrote:Are there currently plans to make changes to all the various machines to incorperate clay bricks and concrete bricks into their recepies as was done sneakily in the latest Petrochem release?
yes!
Huzzah! Now I know not to build a massive and complicated setup for building all the machines with belts only to update and find out that it no longer works until you make these changes!

Seriously though, I was so confused when suddenly liquid resin, liquid plastic, and all those reciepe changes appeared when nothing was mentioned in the changelogs regarding it.
NewSwiss wrote:
Catfight wrote:I haven't gotten that far into the game but I'm currently using the bob's reciepe one where it's 7 lead to 4 tin for the plates to reduce tin usage and increase lead usage. should i perhaps use the 50/50 angels Receipt to increase usage of both overall?
This depends on how much of each you have. In a previous game, I went through about 200k of each before hitting the "infinite everything" stage of the late-late game (bob's modules).
Catfight wrote:PS: I've yet to get the Electronic circuit boards and so this might be why I'm not using that much yet, and with every increase in tier I can only imagine the solder usage will spike like crazy
Yea, you're still in the early/mid game. You'll end up needing plenty lead, so don't worry about it building up in chests/warehouses for now. Though I'd advise stockpiling the ore, rather than the plate, as you may want to use a different refining process later on. Particularly for when you need sulfuric acid, since lead gives you free sulfur dioxide with the advanced processing routes.
I'm currently building a slightly complicated setup that will first import the ore from trains to a storage area, crush all the ore as the step one process then store that (compressing the crushed stone at the same time so I get a big supply of that).
My hope is to make it all automated with the refining process so that it prefers to do the more advanced processing but if there's a lack of a resource it'll do pure ore sorting to compensate.

Thanks for your time though!

PS: Maybe you could consider updating the petrochem train mod and give the fluid wagons upgrade tiers to make them more attractive. When playing with bob's, as much as I'd love to use the petrochem trains when it's time for it, I can't really justify using something that will have inferior storage space so quickly that it becomes irrelevant. Maybe you could instead add more of them or perhaps if the mod is installed, it overwrites the texture for all fluid wagons or somesuch?

CitizenJoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CitizenJoe »

NewSwiss wrote:
CitizenJoe wrote:Is it even possible to make enough mineralized water for use in crystal slurry filtering? Even using all my crushed stone and recycling all of my waste water, I barely have enough to turn the geodes from hydro refining into sludge.
If this is the case, then you're doing too much hydro refining. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you have a ton of ores just sitting in warehouses?
No, thats an odd assumption, but I have a ton of crystal slurry that I'm voiding since I can't process all of it. I'm hydro refining about 3/5 of my crushed ore and then leaching half of that. I was thinking I could get the sludge I needed for catalysts from the geodes, but that ain't happening. I'm instead skipping the last purifying step for some of the ore sorting so I can get slag slurry to run the combination recipes and keep the automated ore ratio balancing running. Probably going to switch over to over producing nodules or something. I could also try using coal filters to cut the mineral water usage in half, but I'm short on coal atm...

NewSwiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NewSwiss »

I just updated factorio and all my angel's mods for the first time in a few weeks. I noticed that plastic changed, and now a bunch of clay/brick/concrete is required for some petrochem buildings. Is there a running list of what changed anywhere (in terms of recipes/balance)? My factory is big enough at this point that I won't necessarily notice that something's wrong until a while has passed, at which point it may be a real pain to clean up.

NewSwiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NewSwiss »

CitizenJoe wrote:
No, thats an odd assumption, but I have a ton of crystal slurry that I'm voiding since I can't process all of it. I'm hydro refining about 3/5 of my crushed ore and then leaching half of that. I was thinking I could get the sludge I needed for catalysts from the geodes, but that ain't happening. I'm instead skipping the last purifying step for some of the ore sorting so I can get slag slurry to run the combination recipes and keep the automated ore ratio balancing running. Probably going to switch over to over producing nodules or something. I could also try using coal filters to cut the mineral water usage in half, but I'm short on coal atm...
My point was that anything higher than crushed sorting outputs more secondary ores than you need. Though now that I think about it, metallurgy lets you convert most secondary products into more in-demand materials. Still, based on my own games, you should have roughly equivalent geode:mineralized water output from hydro-refining then water-treating the waste water. If anything, you should have an excess of mineralized water from slag processing and others. I don't understand how you got an imbalance.

ramblurr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ramblurr »

Yea, I would also love a changelog for each release! That would be immensely useful.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

There are changelogs inside the mods, on the mods page on the portal and on the mods page here in the forum. Sometimes I forget to update them on the forum, but at least in the mod they are always up to date.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Arch666Angel wrote:There are changelogs inside the mods, on the mods page on the portal and on the mods page here in the forum. Sometimes I forget to update them on the forum, but at least in the mod they are always up to date.
Actually...
Angel's smelting is now 0.3.3, however on the mod portal the notes are only up to 0.3.1 and the changelog inside the mod itself is only up to 0.3.2. I've not looked into the others to see if they're up to date either.

Your migration nightmare is over, but the changelog one isn't... yet.

NewSwiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NewSwiss »

Arch666Angel wrote:There are changelogs inside the mods, on the mods page on the portal and on the mods page here in the forum. Sometimes I forget to update them on the forum, but at least in the mod they are always up to date.
This works for me, though unless I'm missing it, the changelog for petrochem doesn't show the changes to plastic (liquid plastic) which was one of the most layout-affecting changes.

Also, any more thoughts on wood-->coke/carbon conversion? Right now, coke/carbon is the only material in your mods that isn't infinite by default. I'm not talking about infinite coal patches, I mean that every other resource can be made infinitely from either water or oil/gas/thermal vents. My current campaign's goal is to launch a few hundred rockets without ever setting up a single outpost (just with RSO's starting area resources). Thanks to metallurgy and bob's modules, I'm on track to do that, but once my coal runs out it's game-over. The recipe I have in mind is 10 raw wood --> 4 coke + 40 residual gas, though I'm not picky about the numbers. It could also make sense to have steam as an ingredient and synthesis gas as the output instead of residual gas, but really what I'm after is a way to get coke (or at the very least carbon) out of wood.

EDIT: Actually, since coal is required for military science, a wood-->coal recipe would be greatly appreciated, even if the yield was low.
Last edited by NewSwiss on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

CitizenJoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CitizenJoe »

Well... TBH you even forget to update the changelogs included with the download a lot of the time. I'm not as bothered by it as some people might be, since I like having to figure out new stuff, buts some changes go undocumented for a couple of releases, and sometimes don't get logged at all, most recent notable one being the liquid plastic, which is a really significant change. Smelting didn't get an entry for 0.3.3 in the changelog either I think.

Verhofin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Verhofin »

Hey, I started metallurgy and while i was checking the recipes I noticed that there is no sheet roll recipe, is there any reason for it? the 4 for 1 seems to be really helpfull for the trasnporting more material with less belt.

Tks and Great mods.

NewSwiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NewSwiss »

I managed to cobble together an "updated" version of the pressure tanks add-on that adds tiers 2, 3, and 4 pressure tanks based on Bob's tanks' recipes and scaling. If anyone is interested, here is a link to the zip file:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=703 ... 8261048928

Disclaimer: I have (almost) no experience in coding or mod-making. I take no responsibility for problems arising from use of this mod. It seems to work as intended, but I can't guarantee that I didn't mess anything up.
Verhofin wrote:Hey, I started metallurgy and while i was checking the recipes I noticed that there is no sheet roll recipe, is there any reason for it? the 4 for 1 seems to be really helpfull for the trasnporting more material with less belt.
Which metal are you talking about? Also, have you researched up to the max tier of smelting for that metal? My current game uses sheet rolls for several, so you'll have to be more specific.

Verhofin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Verhofin »

Sorry, there was supposed the have been "iron" writhen in there somewere....

CitizenJoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CitizenJoe »

NewSwiss wrote:I managed to cobble together an "updated" version of the pressure tanks add-on that adds tiers 2, 3, and 4 pressure tanks based on Bob's tanks' recipes and scaling. If anyone is interested, here is a link to the zip file:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=703 ... 8261048928

Disclaimer: I have (almost) no experience in coding or mod-making. I take no responsibility for problems arising from use of this mod. It seems to work as intended, but I can't guarantee that I didn't mess anything up.
Oh, thats pretty cool actually. You should start up a new thread for this. Probably add it to the mod portal too.

NewSwiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NewSwiss »

CitizenJoe wrote:
Oh, thats pretty cool actually. You should start up a new thread for this. Probably add it to the mod portal too.
Thanks! Truth be told, I'm hoping that Angel will just incorporate it into his mods. I don't have the knowledge base or the patience to maintain a mod.

adamcirillo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by adamcirillo »

In .14 angels when I hovered over an ore patch it told me all the ores I can get from the patch I don't see this in the .15 version unless another mod was adding. Also the angel's triggers productivity mod I couldn't find the mod option for it .15 could you add that back in?

pjf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pjf »

Just a tiny bug report on Logistics.

Unexpected behaviour: The 'Cargo Robots 2' tech has a big storage chest, but the tool-tip describes it as 'Unknown key: "entity-name.angels-logistic-chest-storage"' when hovering over it in the tech tree.
Expected behaviour: The chest has a name. :)
Locale: English (en-AU, but I don't think Factorio cares)
Not tested: Research the technology and building a chest.
Version affected: angelslogistics_0.2.0.zip, Factorio 0.15.x, Ubuntu Linux 16.04

In case it's useful for tracing interactions, full mod list follows. Marathomation is a custom fork with some recipe costs changed, but none of those changes are to logistics.
modlist
Thank you again for an amazing set of mods!

~ pjf

Shenpen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shenpen »

pjf wrote: the tool-tip describes it as 'Unknown key: "entity-name.angels-logistic-chest-storage"' when hovering over it in the tech tree.
Expected behaviour: The chest has a name. :)
Locale: English (en-AU, but I don't think Factorio cares)
The "unknown key" message is a sign that there is no formal mention of the entity in the locale file.
If you add:

[entity-name]
angels-logistic-chest-storager= Angels logistic chest storage

in the locale file you will fix it.

Return to “Angels Mods”