Development and Discussion

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

Mobius1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Development and Discussion

Post by Mobius1 »

eloquentJane wrote:I don't think it's possible without making a new mining machine (which I don't actually oppose, but it'd be some extra coding work). The reason is because the miners currently are designed for a single fluid, and as far as I can tell they work similarly to pipes in that miners will transfer fluid between all fluid connections. In order to have multiple fluids running through miners, you'd have to make significant changes to how the entity works, and it'd probably be simplest to just make an entirely new miner that works like an existing machine designed for multiple fluids (like a refinery).

I think it's a good idea for fluid miners to output waste water, but it'd probably be more work to add in than you may realize.
Make a miner use some fluid and output another fluid would require changing the piping system of the miners by either:
a) Make one of the 3 sides being the constant output side of the waste fluid
b) Make another output pipe near the output ore connection, that way you preserve the side flow
c) Store the waste inside the drill for when the patch is depleted you hook up a pipe or pump in the ore output to extract the waste of the miner. But since that mechanic works for infinite ores I think it'll never deplete.
d) Make a new machine for it.
Last edited by Mobius1 on Mon May 15, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

nagapito wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote: @nagapito
well smelting gives you some tool to spread the load of the most used metals to different ores through the alloying step at the end, where you can mix different ingots to produce an alloy of the main metal. So it's a bit about clever mixing and spreading the load over different ores.
Crazy idea... infinite mining ore also returns waste water?

Seems that it might be possible, since Bobs water pump was outputing water and stone

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=45001&p=274677#p274634
I actually like the idea, have to look into it over the next few days

qwerter96
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by qwerter96 »

Arch666Angel wrote:
nagapito wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote: @nagapito
well smelting gives you some tool to spread the load of the most used metals to different ores through the alloying step at the end, where you can mix different ingots to produce an alloy of the main metal. So it's a bit about clever mixing and spreading the load over different ores.
Crazy idea... infinite mining ore also returns waste water?

Seems that it might be possible, since Bobs water pump was outputing water and stone

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=45001&p=274677#p274634
I actually like the idea, have to look into it over the next few days
This would be AWESOME! If you do end up needing to make a new miner though, please consider either coordinating with Bob or else following his structure of area vs normal and MK1-MK5

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Alternative to waste water, you could have the infinite ores yield a new slag/pebble (Sulfuric slag, nitric pebble, w/e) in addition to the ore. This would then have to be run through a washing plant to yield the waste water and maybe slag.

MIning: Infinite Saph + Sulf Acid --> Saphirite and Sulfuric Pebbles

Wash: Sulf Pebbles + Steam/Water --> Sulf Waste Water + Slag

Either way, I've always played with infinite ores disabled but now I need to start a new game with them. This looks fun.

Diedel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Diedel »

Zombiee wrote:Alternative to waste water, you could have the infinite ores yield a new slag/pebble (Sulfuric slag, nitric pebble, w/e) in addition to the ore. This would then have to be run through a washing plant to yield the waste water and maybe slag.

MIning: Infinite Saph + Sulf Acid --> Saphirite and Sulfuric Pebbles

Wash: Sulf Pebbles + Steam/Water --> Sulf Waste Water + Slag

Either way, I've always played with infinite ores disabled but now I need to start a new game with them. This looks fun.
This definitely looks like the easier way to do it, now my infinite ore drops stone furnaces too, just looks slightly fun on the map.

Zyrconia
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zyrconia »

So Angel, have you decided upon Uranium? Separate ore or result of sorting?

Sorry if I missed your answer before.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Zyrconia wrote:So Angel, have you decided upon Uranium? Separate ore or result of sorting?

The ore patches have been removed in the latest updates :) (If you play refining + bobs)

Zyrconia
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zyrconia »

Arch666Angel wrote:
Zyrconia wrote:So Angel, have you decided upon Uranium? Separate ore or result of sorting?

The ore patches have been removed in the latest updates :) (If you play refining + bobs)
Thanks!

The only downside is that now we don't have light emitting ores on the map :).

Like I said, don't want to play with RSO anymore, but with RSO getting Crot online was a major early game milestone. Maybe Crot should be shinny :). And Jiv.

Also, it is early too early to tell, but looks like for the first time ever, IMHO, Smelting is good? Need to test it thoroughly.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Zyrconia wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote:

Thanks!

The only downside is that now we don't have light emitting ores on the map :).

Like I said, don't want to play with RSO anymore, but with RSO getting Crot online was a major early game milestone. Maybe Crot should be shinny :). And Jiv.

Also, it is early too early to tell, but looks like for the first time ever, IMHO, Smelting is good? Need to test it thoroughly.
Infinite ores shine brightly. It's a very neat effect when RSO is being used and you see a shiny dot in the middle of a patch. It helps differentiate the ores quite nicely.

Zyrconia
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zyrconia »

Light wrote: Infinite ores shine brightly. It's a very neat effect when RSO is being used and you see a shiny dot in the middle of a patch. It helps differentiate the ores quite nicely.
Ahhh, indeed. Infinite ores are shiny.

That's good enough for me!

Really bad with details right now since I'm updating more playing :).

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Angel, is it possible to add an override for players that don't want to use Bob's Electronics.

Setting the recipes to only need Electronic, Advanced, Processing Units and changing them replacing the couple of instances when Bob's Electronics are installed.

Diedel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Diedel »

We need more inputs for the chemical plant, can't craft rocket fuel anymore with the latest bob revamp changes :(

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Use angels chemical plant

Zyrconia
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zyrconia »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:Angel, is it possible to add an override for players that don't want to use Bob's Electronics.

Setting the recipes to only need Electronic, Advanced, Processing Units and changing them replacing the couple of instances when Bob's Electronics are installed.
Man, Factorio has the most complex mods ever. I have never seen more reactive mods out there, that adapt to an ever changing subset of mods that act as requirements.

With only Bob's Plates, you get a tier above blue circuits, purple circuits. called Advanced Processing Units.

With Bob's Electronics, Advanced Processing Units become split into 2: Multi-layer Circuit board and Electronic processing board and become blue. Plus, all other tiers of circuit get split, into multiple types of brown, white, green and blue circuits.

Or so I think. It would be great if there was a flowchart maintained by mod authors: if you do have this mod and this mod, you get this.

Anyway, TLDR:
With bob's you have not 3, but always 4 "final" circuits.

Angel could use these finals.

Additionally, the presence of a mod, like bob's electronics, could be detected and if present, some final tier circuits replaced to make recipes less expensive, like replacing Basic electronic boards with Basic circuit boards.

Diedel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Diedel »

Nexela wrote:Use angels chemical plant
Doesn't work either, the rocket fuel needs 5 liquids/gases now, though i think that the petrochem mod will change that in the next revision.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Diedel wrote:
Doesn't work either, the rocket fuel needs 5 liquids/gases now, though i think that the petrochem mod will change that in the next revision.
I advise you to rollback bobs revamp mod so you can play and wait until it all stabelize.
I say this because current changes are not permanent, bob is still tweaking the system and he is talking already of some drastic changes to the new rocket fuel recipes he made.

Even if it all worked, you would probably be redoing your rocket fuel production next release and how knows how many more releases.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

I know small balance issues are low priority while still dealing with 0.15 changes but ... add these to your 'Look at when everything is fixed and nothing is on TV' list.

Smelting specifically - Everything seems to be x1, x1.5 x2 vs traditional smelting with these exceptions:

1> Solder from casting furnaces is half the solder per plate vs traditional methods. Using the casting machine to make solder will take more materials, more room and more power vs traditional needing resin.

2> Casting coils of copper wire and then splitting into copper cable the same as casting the plate and then crafting the cable as far a material cost. Only advantages I see are that assemblers make them faster and you save some electricity. (Very minor, just contrasts #3 a lot)

3> Casting coils of tinned copper wire directly is a substantially better than crafting from plates. Doing this cuts copper costs to 50% and tin to 75%, while being easier to transport and cutting electricity costs to ~25%. While the copper coil from #2 offers virtually no benefit, this is so good as to be broken.

Hopefully this is of some small use to you at some point.

Diedel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Diedel »

nagapito wrote:
Diedel wrote:
I advise you to rollback bobs revamp mod so you can play and wait until it all stabelize.
I say this because current changes are not permanent, bob is still tweaking the system and he is talking already of some drastic changes to the new rocket fuel recipes he made.

Even if it all worked, you would probably be redoing your rocket fuel production next release and how knows how many more releases.
Ah I am OK with that, it is a bit part of why my base is not that giant, so i can find and fix those things, it is part of the fun. It is just a bit annoying if a recipe breaks completely, but there is always the black market in case of things like these.

IsZako
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by IsZako »

Is there a way to generate infinite ore only?
* Translated by Google Translate

qwerter96
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by qwerter96 »

IsZako wrote:Is there a way to generate infinite ore only?
* Translated by Google Translate
There's a config option to pick how much of an ore patch should be infinite, but be careful as if you have acid mining for infinite enabled it could be near impossible to get the ore you need.

Return to “Angels Mods”