Development and Discussion

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

NewSwiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Development and Discussion

Post by NewSwiss »

I've been messing around with Bob's max-tier modules and beacons, and I've found something weird for the thermal extractor. After being speed-beaconed to the max (I was testing output limits), I removed all modules/beacons, yet the output is still ~15 times higher than it should be. I thought maybe it was just a large internal reservoir, but even after filling up tanks/barrels with 50k thermal water, it was still outputting 30/s, 30 min after removing all modules and beacons. Pumpjacks and miners don't seem to do this, but I didn't have them beaconed for as long during testing. Is this a bug specific to the thermal extractor, or something else?

Mokmo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mokmo »

Could the Logistics mod require a bit less dependencies ? Some vehicle modules from Bob are in there but then Components needs Refining to work and i'm not even all in as to Bob's... But i'd love to have that specific pack

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

ukezi wrote:
Tomik wrote: I do not want to see dependencies or even where this product can be used. I just want to have the name of the product in its recipe to be present. Not just an icon.
at the moment it's a limitation of the game. If you have multiple products of a recipe you get icons only.
Arch666Angel wrote:
Tomik wrote: I do not want to see dependencies or even where this product can be used. I just want to have the name of the product in its recipe to be present. Not just an icon.
I can only do what I did with Petrochem: Add the output items/fluids to the recipe name.
Drat. Dammit. Thanks anyway.

Do you think that once 1.0 comes around that the devs will release the full documentation behind the code of factorio? IF you had the full docu or even a partial one..do you think you could add the names of the products into the reicipes?

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

the doku wouldn't help. you would need the full source code and that i can't see happening. also if you would change something you would fracture the community because some would have the changes and some not.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Petrochem
-fixed icon for dimethylhydrazine
-added recipe for separating HCl into H + Cl
-increased chlorine amount produced by molten salt electrolysis to 20
-increased output of compressed air by the air filter to 20
-changed rocket fuel recipe to 30 hydrazine, 30 dimethylhydrazine, 10 nitric acid
-changed/buffed solid fuel recipes
-added crude oil barrel empty/fill recipes
-removed vanilla crude oil empty/fill recipes
-added vanilla mode (dependecies: angelsinfiniteores, angelsrefining)

Refining
-decreased crafting time for all salination plant recipes
-added new vanilla mode
-changed order of the geode processing recipe, to match their occurence in floatation
-fixed crystallizer mk2 energy consumption

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Arch666Angel wrote:Petrochem
-increased chlorine amount produced by molten salt electrolysis to 20
Not sure if this was the right move. Most people use molten salt electrolysis and complain about the excess of sodium because then cant realize that Electrolizing salt water from salination plants was way more efficient if the purpose was chlorine. Specially for rocket fuel, the ammount of chlorine and sodium was pretty well balanced.

With this change, they have even less reason to use saline water. The recipe just becomes barely useless....

jcranmer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jcranmer »

Arch666Angel wrote:-increased output of compressed air by the air filter to 20
-changed rocket fuel recipe to 30 hydrazine, 30 dimethylhydrazine, 10 nitric acid
That compressed air definitely needed a buff. Although I suspect the crafting time is more useful to buff than recipe output. I have to redo the calculations, but previously you needed something like 9 air filters to fuel one rocket fuel recipe.
-changed order of the geode processing recipe, to match their occurence in floatation
If you're fixing these orders, the single most annoying recipe order for me was the alien artifact creation in bioprocessing. The cellulose paste is a different order from the pre-artifact, which is different from the small artifact, which is different from the large artifact.

Fahrradkette
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Fahrradkette »

Arch666Angel wrote:Petrochem
-added recipe for separating HCl into H + Cl
Could you add a 2HF -> H2 F2 separation, too?
I'm playing AngelsBobs with Nuclear Power and would like to have another drain for fluorine from acid gas separation.

MainTango
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MainTango »

Some nice changes but the old inconsistencies are still in:

Liquifiers

Mk1 150kW @1.5 crafting speed
Mk2 100kW @2.25 crafting speed
Mk3 125kW @3 crafting speed
Mk4 150kW @3.75 crafting speed

Filtration Units

Mk1 100kW @1.5 crafting speed

Ore Processing Machine, Induction Furnace and Casting Machine Mk4 all have the same energy comsumption as their Mk3 predecessors while each of them having a higher crafting speed. Also, Algae farms Mk1 and Mk2 both consume 150kW (I know there was no update for bio-processing). Since you can get both steel and basic electronic boards early on, there's currently no reason to ever build Algae Farms Mk1, especially since the crafting recipe for the Mk2 doesn't involve the Mk1.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

MainTango wrote:Some nice changes but the old inconsistencies are still in:

Liquifiers

Mk1 150kW @1.5 crafting speed
Mk3 125kW @3 crafting speed
Mk4 150kW @3.75 crafting speed

Filtration Units

Mk1 100kW @1.5 crafting speed

Ore Processing Machine, Induction Furnace and Casting Machine Mk4 all have the same energy comsumption as their Mk3 predecessors while each of them having a higher crafting speed. Also, Algae farms Mk1 and Mk2 both consume 150kW (I know there was no update for bio-processing). Since you can get both steel and basic electronic boards early on, there's currently no reason to ever build Algae Farms Mk1, especially since the crafting recipe for the Mk2 doesn't involve the Mk1.
Thanks for reminding me, missed to note that on my "fix this" paper :D It's in for the next update

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

I like your train design. How about a MK2 - 4 to replace the standard trains?
Also cool would be salination in hydro tier 1 with the water->slat water recipe and at tier 2 with a plant MK2 and the molten salt recipe.
Also the Uranium power fluorite from slurry has a way to hight compared to uranium it's produced 1:1 at the moment, but it is used 10uranite to 10/3 flourite. could be ok if you merge that fluorite with yours from petrochem as you could use that hydrofluoricacid.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

These mods are terrifyingly difficult and so far extremely fun (particularly when combined with Bob's mods and a few other minor mods).

I have a suggestion: although I would imagine that the mod's main content takes priority, I think it might be a good idea to add a new texture/model to the refinery from the base game, in order to make it fit in better with the appearance of everything else from the PetroChem mod. As it currently is, the refinery looks somewhat out of place in a PetroChem processing plant.

EDIT: I've just discovered a minor Bob's Mods compatibility issue with the latest versions of your mods (PetroChem specifically). After researching the synthetic wood that's made with naphtha, circuit recipes from Bob's Mods prioritize the naphtha wood. The result of this is that recipes which use the circuits cannot be requested for manual crafting (with regular wood) unless you independently request the wooden boards using the recipe with normal wood.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

eloquentJane wrote:...
EDIT: I've just discovered a minor Bob's Mods compatibility issue with the latest versions of your mods (PetroChem specifically). After researching the synthetic wood that's made with naphtha, circuit recipes from Bob's Mods prioritize the naphtha wood. The result of this is that recipes which use the circuits cannot be requested for manual crafting (with regular wood) unless you independently request the wooden boards using the recipe with normal wood.
This is a base game issue that is caused by pre selection of crafting path when there are more recipes to make wooden board.
There might be few ways around but they can be tricky.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

eloquentJane wrote:I've just discovered a minor Bob's Mods compatibility issue with the latest versions of your mods (PetroChem specifically). After researching the synthetic wood that's made with naphtha, circuit recipes from Bob's Mods prioritize the naphtha wood. The result of this is that recipes which use the circuits cannot be requested for manual crafting (with regular wood) unless you independently request the wooden boards using the recipe with normal wood.
This will correct the issue.
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Xuerian/ ... ndcrafting

bkerr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bkerr »

How does one use the values eg. Check value and return value etc.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

bkerr wrote:How does one use the values eg. Check value and return value etc.
I'm going to assume that "value" is a typo and you meant "valve". The valves should have a brief explanation of their function in the tooltip, but I can give you an idea of how they may be used.

The check valve is essentially a pipe that you can connect to a circuit network. It's probably similar to the tanks from the base game in the way that it can be useful with a circuit network; for example, choosing to send a fluid towards a certain process only when there is a certain amount already flowing in the system elsewhere. I have yet to actually use it in-game though, and I don't know whether the check valve itself can be toggled open/closed or whether you'd have to use a small pump instead.

The return valve is a one-way pipe. Its functionality is basically just limiting the direction your fluids can flow. Probably not always useful, but I imagine it could be convenient to have in large pipe networks.

The overflow valve is perhaps the most useful one (in general). It automatically opens to let fluid flow only if the input pipe is above 80% capacity. It's probably most useful in situations when you have a vast excess of a waste fluid (like sulfurous water) which is impractical to store in large quantities and doesn't have enough use in the factory. Such a situation would cause a bottleneck, and while you might just direct all of that fluid into a clarifier for deletion, you may want to use most of it and only delete any excess fluid. Then you would place the overflow valve before the clarifier input and it would only delete the fluid that you can't use.

The converter valve is used for compatibility with other mods. Sometimes multiple different mods may add the same fluid, and the converter valve would be used to switch between those fluids so that the fluid from one mod can be used in the other mod's machines. It's also used to change any oil products from the base game (if you have any around before installing Angel's PetroChem) into their PetroChem mod equivalents.

bkerr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bkerr »

eloquentJane wrote:
bkerr wrote:How does one use the values eg. Check value and return value etc.
I'm going to assume that "value" is a typo and you meant "valve". The valves should have a brief explanation of their function in the tooltip, but I can give you an idea of how they may be used.

The check valve is essentially a pipe that you can connect to a circuit network. It's probably similar to the tanks from the base game in the way that it can be useful with a circuit network; for example, choosing to send a fluid towards a certain process only when there is a certain amount already flowing in the system elsewhere. I have yet to actually use it in-game though, and I don't know whether the check valve itself can be toggled open/closed or whether you'd have to use a small pump instead.

The return valve is a one-way pipe. Its functionality is basically just limiting the direction your fluids can flow. Probably not always useful, but I imagine it could be convenient to have in large pipe networks.

The overflow valve is perhaps the most useful one (in general). It automatically opens to let fluid flow only if the input pipe is above 80% capacity. It's probably most useful in situations when you have a vast excess of a waste fluid (like sulfurous water) which is impractical to store in large quantities and doesn't have enough use in the factory. Such a situation would cause a bottleneck, and while you might just direct all of that fluid into a clarifier for deletion, you may want to use most of it and only delete any excess fluid. Then you would place the overflow valve before the clarifier input and it would only delete the fluid that you can't use.

The converter valve is used for compatibility with other mods. Sometimes multiple different mods may add the same fluid, and the converter valve would be used to switch between those fluids so that the fluid from one mod can be used in the other mod's machines. It's also used to change any oil products from the base game (if you have any around before installing Angel's PetroChem) into their PetroChem mod equivalents.
Thank you for replying. Just another stupid question. Which way do they point to work.

Also can people give me info on a basic setup for plastic bars

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

bkerr wrote:
Thank you for replying. Just another stupid question. Which way do they point to work.

Also can people give me info on a basic setup for plastic bars
It's a perfectly sensible question. This is an enormously complex set of mods, it's not unreasonable to ask questions if you don't understand something.

I'm not absolutely certain (I haven't quite reached the point where I need to use valves yet in my own game), but I think the fluid flow direction is indicated by the top of the valve. When you place a valve (you can rotate it), you should see an arrow-like shape at the top. I would assume that that arrow points towards the output direction (but there's only two possible directions, so if it doesn't work one way just try the other way).

As for your other question, plastic - and the rest of the oil industry - is...complicated. There's not really a "basic" way of obtaining it. As far as I can tell, the earliest possible way to get plastic is using propene in an advanced chemical plant, though there are quicker and more efficient methods unlocked with further research (efficiency increases with complexity).

The simplest way I can find of obtaining propene (and I think the only way) is as follows:

•Extract multi-phase oil from an oil patch using a pumpjack
•Separate multi-phase oil into crude oil (and byproducts) in an oil and gas separator
•Produce naphtha (and byproducts) in a refinery using crude oil
•Synthesize propene in a steam cracker using naphtha

The second and third steps of that process do produce several useful byproducts other than the ones you're currently using for plastic. It's a good idea to store them if you can, or figure out what they're used for so you can put them to use. Only delete a fluid with a flare stack/clarifier if you have absolutely no use for it (and if you are doing that, use an overflow valve so you don't waste all of the fluid).

sackboy338
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sackboy338 »

It would be absolutely wonderful if there could be a standalone version of this mod, with no dependencies (or at least none that change vanilla stuff) because stuff like the roboport-train and roboport-vehicle are things I've been looking for forever, but no standalone mod has them.

Even a standalone with JUST the roboport train and vehicle would be great. Do you know anywhere I could get something like that?

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

sackboy338 wrote:Even a standalone with JUST the roboport train and vehicle would be great. Do you know anywhere I could get something like that?
Have you tried installing Angel's Logistics independently? I don't know if it would work, but it might.

Return to “Angels Mods”