Development and Discussion

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x][Base] Angels Refining and Angels Processing

Post by Arch666Angel »

kiba wrote:processed to ingot is missing. Upgraded to 1.6 on existing map.
It should be there, it is also in the migration file. None the less if you have all the other, you can activate it by hand: /c game.force.recipes["lead-processed-smelting"].enabled = true
Madd_Mugsy wrote:Cool mod! I've been looking for more interesting logistics for ore processing and this has it in spades :)

I found that it causes an error in the landfill mod though. When you try to use the water-be-gone tool, it crashes the game because it can't find the "stone" entity.

This line in Landfill's control.lua is the culprit:

Code: Select all

player.surface.create_entity({name = "stone", position = {x * 32, y * 32}, force = force}).destroy()
However, if I change it to this:

Code: Select all

player.surface.create_entity({name = "angels-ore1", position = {x * 32, y * 32}, force = force}).destroy()
then everything works again. So I'm guessing it has something to do with the way that stone is being prevented from spawning on the map?

The water bomb also references the "stone" entity, so I'd assume it will cause a similar crash.
I have forwarded this to rsending the creator of landfill, if he doesn't change it, I might just modify it and provide a compatible version. But thanks for the hint and the solution :)
Pandemoneus wrote:Hey Angel,

I updated your mods in my modpack on an existing map. I see that you added brown catalysts. From the mod files I see that they are unlocked in Advanced Refining I, but I can't find them in any tab. Iron powder and stone powder seem to be missing too.

[edit]
Well, nevermind. I just started a new map.
Yep forgot to include them, thanks for the report.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Arch666Angel wrote:
kiba wrote:processed to ingot is missing. Upgraded to 1.6 on existing map.
It should be there, it is also in the migration file. None the less if you have all the other, you can activate it by hand: /c game.force.recipes["lead-processed-smelting"].enabled = true
Madd_Mugsy wrote:
You need game.player.force not just game.force for the command to work.

New bug: can't find the recipe for turning lead ingot into lead plate!

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Figured it out with lead-oxide ingot recipe.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

kiba wrote:Figured it out with lead-oxide ingot recipe.
If any more are missing, take a look in the migration file or the locale, all the internal names are in there. I have no clue why they are not loading, either I messed up the migration or something else went wrong.

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OvermindDL1 »

Arch666Angel wrote:
OvermindDL1 wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote:That will be changed for the next, I just wanted to get the next thing out :) I will try to colour them according to the icons, so mineralized greyish, sulphur water yellowish, etc. I'm doing a test play myself at the moment, to see how the changes feel :) Is your apprentice already vomiting from rebuilding the processing all over? (I feel so sorry for him :/ )
Lol, not yet, and he is about to tear down a *large* chunk of it to rebuild it again so he can line things up better. Here is his current mess before the tear-down (the bottom algae processing is my doing, the rest is his). :-)
Current Mess
Looks good, needs more saturation :D Which wood recipes are you using?
Oh missed this question, I am using both, it uses the non-oil one first then fills in 'gaps' with the oil based one. Keeps everything flowing.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Since I'm neither a chemists nor have any deeper knowledge apart from what you can read on wiki and other sources I would appreciate some feedback on the matter. Especially on a revamp for the oil processing.

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

HUmmm where we will get platinum and chrome? New ores?

I have some study into chemistry and i tried to adapt it to factorio fantasy:

- I love the chemical diagram, i also could add some suggestions. In factorio, we have a LOT (i mean.. LOTS) of hydrogen that sometimes we need to get ride of it. Maybe we could use Benzene and Methane (your own or made with Bobs´s carbon, hydrogen and some catalyst) to create Toluene and with Nitrogen (other common subproduct in factorio) to create TNT which can be used to make explosives (or better ones) and explosive shells/canons etc.

- You can use Thermal cracking to some of the products, that way we can have another good use of your thermal water which is abundant too. Crude oil and great amounts of thermal water, that way we can create petroleum coke, which can be used to produce steel and aluminum in a furnace. (maybe in a higher or better rate). As subproduct we have naphta, which can be used to be converted to phthalate and later into plastics (directly or togheter with your polyethylene). Can also use the petcoke to extract sulfur using oxygen. and also burned at good rate, but high pollution (since it´s full of carbon).

- Another good use of the excess hydrogen can be hydrocracking, where we add hydrogen to some light oil to create diesel, gasoline or/and rocket fuel. all liquid fuel that can be used in many factorio things.

- Another suggestion is to use Hydrogen, some catalyst and polution (CO2) to create heavy oil or even crude oil with oxigen as subproduct.

Hope i could help. Sorry for my english

Also, man, id kill for a new chemical processing plant model.
pY Coal processing mod
Discord: Pyanodon #5791

johnnyBgoode
Inserter
Inserter

Post by johnnyBgoode »

Arch666Angel wrote:Image
Since I'm neither a chemists nor have any deeper knowledge apart from what you can read on wiki and other sources I would appreciate some feedback on the matter. Especially on a revamp for the oil processing.
Have you seen the Fractional Distillation and N.Tech Chemistry mods? I think those have some convincing processes.

Anyway I'm running your mod with Bob's and Marathon, and Ohhh boy, the time it takes to get anywhere is crazy long exacerbated by having to manually sort the ores and smart inserters being a couple of playthrus away. Are you planning on adding some kind of way to automatically sort thru the early stages of the game? Either or is fine with me. Love where this is going. More power to you.

Another question, I'm running Uranium Power and was wondering if the ores there appear stand alone like coal or do they appear mixed like the 6 ores?

Thanks!

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

pyanodon wrote:HUmmm where we will get platinum and chrome? New ores?

- I love the chemical diagram, i also could add some suggestions. In factorio, we have a LOT (i mean.. LOTS) of hydrogen that sometimes we need to get ride of it. Maybe we could use Benzene and Methane (your own or made with Bobs´s carbon, hydrogen and some catalyst) to create Toluene and with Nitrogen (other common subproduct in factorio) to create TNT which can be used to make explosives (or better ones) and explosive shells/canons etc.

- You can use Thermal cracking to some of the products, that way we can have another good use of your thermal water which is abundant too. Crude oil and great amounts of thermal water, that way we can create petroleum coke, which can be used to produce steel and aluminum in a furnace. (maybe in a higher or better rate). As subproduct we have naphta, which can be used to be converted to phthalate and later into plastics (directly or togheter with your polyethylene). Can also use the petcoke to extract sulfur using oxygen. and also burned at good rate, but high pollution (since it´s full of carbon).

- Another good use of the excess hydrogen can be hydrocracking, where we add hydrogen to some light oil to create diesel, gasoline or/and rocket fuel. all liquid fuel that can be used in many factorio things.

- Another suggestion is to use Hydrogen, some catalyst and polution (CO2) to create heavy oil or even crude oil with oxigen as subproduct.

First off: Thank you for the reply and input, appreciate it very much. I have some trouble getting the grip on the whole oil to gas processing, if I understand it correctly then basically most of the time the oil is broken down to lighter hydrocarbons and gases (everything which is below bezene) and then used as chemical feedstock? And only for fuels are higher hydrocarbons preserved (pentanes+)?

-For the ores: Depends on what other mods are present, if used with my refining and ores mod, it is no problem to inject a recipe there to produce real small amounts of platinum and chrome for example, although I have other uses for them in mind later on when it comes to smelting and actually producing components.

-Feel free to add and/or suggest additions or extensions to the chemical diagram, I wont promise to include them beforehand but like I said I'm not that educated when it comes to chemistry :P
johnnyBgoode wrote:
Have you seen the Fractional Distillation and N.Tech Chemistry mods? I think those have some convincing processes.

Anyway I'm running your mod with Bob's and Marathon, and Ohhh boy, the time it takes to get anywhere is crazy long exacerbated by having to manually sort the ores and smart inserters being a couple of playthrus away. Are you planning on adding some kind of way to automatically sort thru the early stages of the game? Either or is fine with me. Love where this is going. More power to you.

Another question, I'm running Uranium Power and was wondering if the ores there appear stand alone like coal or do they appear mixed like the 6 ores?

Thanks!
I know both mods and took a look at them, but both of them feel kind of incomplete at least that is my feeling. And bobmods does a good job of introducing a lot of chemicals/elements but most of the times for the sake of more realistic recipes, he does not try to make it a bigger process in itself. I don't have the ambition to be realistically and 100% correct, which on another note wont be fun to play I think, but to create a process where you really have to dig into the different steps and decide which product(s) you want from it.

And btw bobs, marathon and my mods you are either a masochist or just insane :D

One thing I was considering was to add a slow smart inserter one which can be build from the yellow slow inserter to ease the pain a bit. Might add it as disabled as default but with an option to enable it if you plan to do something like marathon.

The ores for uranium power will come from either the slag processing with special recipes or from the regular refining with tier2 (Hydro Refining, Jivolite Chunks Sorting and Crotinnium Chunks Sorting), like the other ores. I might change that, so that you will get ores from other mods with an extra advanced recipe and a slag processing recipes instead.

Thanks for the feedback and have fun on your marathon journey :)

---
Trying some icons:

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OvermindDL1 »

Arch666Angel wrote:
pyanodon wrote:HUmmm where we will get platinum and chrome? New ores?

First off: Thank you for the reply and input, appreciate it very much. I have some trouble getting the grip on the whole oil to gas processing, if I understand it correctly then basically most of the time the oil is broken down to lighter hydrocarbons and gases (everything which is below bezene) and then used as chemical feedstock? And only for fuels are higher hydrocarbons preserved (pentanes+)?

-For the ores: Depends on what other mods are present, if used with my refining and ores mod, it is no problem to inject a recipe there to produce real small amounts of platinum and chrome for example, although I have other uses for them in mind later on when it comes to smelting and actually producing components.

-Feel free to add and/or suggest additions or extensions to the chemical diagram, I wont promise to include them beforehand but like I said I'm not that educated when it comes to chemistry :P
johnnyBgoode wrote:

Thanks!
I know both mods and took a look at them, but both of them feel kind of incomplete at least that is my feeling. And bobmods does a good job of introducing a lot of chemicals/elements but most of the times for the sake of more realistic recipes, he does not try to make it a bigger process in itself. I don't have the ambition to be realistically and 100% correct, which on another note wont be fun to play I think, but to create a process where you really have to dig into the different steps and decide which product(s) you want from it.

One thing I was considering was to add a slow smart inserter one which can be build from the yellow slow inserter to ease the pain a bit. Might add it as disabled as default but with an option to enable it if you plan to do something like marathon.

The ores for uranium power will come from either the slag processing with special recipes or from the regular refining with tier2 (Hydro Refining, Jivolite Chunks Sorting and Crotinnium Chunks Sorting), like the other ores. I might change that, so that you will get ores from other mods with an extra advanced recipe and a slag processing recipes instead.

Thanks for the feedback and have fun on your marathon journey :)

---
Trying some icons:
Unsure about the gas processing, but I think smart inserters should even require higher tier circuits then they have now, for my early game I sort via belts/sorters anyway, design taken from the forums here somewhere, barely edited for repeatability to be able to sort any amount of types of items on the belt. It has no slowdown, it is equal to a single full belt, can sort any number of items, fully safe, backed up items will not break it, etc..., etc...:

Hmm, let me tag it:
  • Input (Teal): Feed in the belt(s) into this sorter of the many items you want to sort.
  • Input Section (Blue): This section only exists at the start of the whole sorting 'thing', for me it is its own blueprint.
  • Repeatable Sorter Block (Red): This is its own blueprint as well and is repeatable, just overlap the start row with the end and it should line up perfectly (and overwrites your end 'chunk' if you need to).
  • Output (Yellow): This is where a sorted (set) of outputs will exit, if it is only a single item with no more sorting then do whatever with it, if it is more than one item you are sending out then you can feed it directly into another input section for binary sorting instead of line sorting.
  • Place Item (Green): Manually place an item here to have it *not* sort out this output. By default everything in the input will go to the output, placing a single item of a certain type here will have that one pass by to the next sorting block. So in essence everything that will appear on a belt that you want to go past this output then place a single item here (or place it again to turn the outputting for this item back 'on').
  • Rotate Down (Purple): This is the ending 'cap', I don't make a blueprint for it, just rotate this two conveyer belts down (in relation to this place, or if you rotate then for whatever direction) so it will cycle back through.
I've used this for many games now and it has never broken for me. Although (*hint*hint*) I would love an early game blueprint unlock so I could type in my blueprint string. As you notice it uses the same color belt/underground/sorters and it can be upgraded with impunity to the highest level belt type you may have, as long as you always keep the colors the same. When/If you do upgrade it then you may need to reset the outputs by placing items in the green circle to enable/disable again as everything tends to start going to the start again (or randomly thanks to bots upgrading if you do that via upgrade planner or so), so be sure to check your outputs and reset them after upgrading.

Thankfully this has perfect throughput, no inserters needed, no circuitry above the basic one needed, great for early game and late game both.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

@OvermindDL1
Don't forget that they will remove this "feature" probably with 0.13, so yes its a nice setup especially for my mod but I'm not sure if it is too much of a hassle to rush for the smart inserters.

Pandemoneus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pandemoneus »

@Arch666Angel
Your oil processing looks good. What other features are you planning (so I know how often my map is going to break)? :P
My RSO+Bob's+Angel's modpack: Farlands (outdated)
Mods (current): Resource Labels
Mods (old): Biter Spires

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Arch666Angel wrote: First off: Thank you for the reply and input, appreciate it very much. I have some trouble getting the grip on the whole oil to gas processing, if I understand it correctly then basically most of the time the oil is broken down to lighter hydrocarbons and gases (everything which is below benzene) and then used as chemical feedstock? And only for fuels are higher hydrocarbons preserved (pentanes+)?

Glad to help.

Here a diagram i did based on your ideas and i added some suggestions. Of course, it´s just suggestions and i tried use the factorio vanilla stuff and logic plus your creations to get as near as i can to oil and gas processing. The process is way more complex but it´s a game after all. I like your mod and i see you´re doing a nice work until now, so here my two cents.

You´re right in the oil being broken until very light gases (like methane), some fuels can have very low hydrocarbons (like ethane for example) but there´s some process we can use to revert some by adding hydrogen/carbon/oxygen and catalysts plus a huge energy amount (hint) to get bigger hydrocarbons again (theoretically, but well, the game is on future, we sure would have technology for it, that´s why some artistic freedom i took).

A big suggestion is instead of using new ores/recipes like platinum and chrome, you could use the catalysts you created on alien stuff and gems. Is always good to have more than one use to a thing in factorio.
The big change i did was remove benzene from oil refining and put it to naphtha cracking.
Attachments
diagram.JPG
diagram.JPG (818.97 KiB) Viewed 8646 times
pY Coal processing mod

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OvermindDL1 »

/me is tempted to add a corn-like crop to their mod to add a renewable-but-slow fuel source...
Arch666Angel wrote:@OvermindDL1
Don't forget that they will remove this "feature" probably with 0.13, so yes its a nice setup especially for my mod but I'm not sure if it is too much of a hassle to rush for the smart inserters.
True, but for now...

johnnyBgoode
Inserter
Inserter

Post by johnnyBgoode »

Arch666Angel wrote: I know both mods and took a look at them, but both of them feel kind of incomplete at least that is my feeling. And bobmods does a good job of introducing a lot of chemicals/elements but most of the times for the sake of more realistic recipes, he does not try to make it a bigger process in itself. I don't have the ambition to be realistically and 100% correct, which on another note wont be fun to play I think, but to create a process where you really have to dig into the different steps and decide which product(s) you want from it.

Thanks! The lack of an addicting end game has me looking for more complexity on the early and mid game. Out of the 5 games I've so far played I only launched the rocket once because after that there's nothing really to tinker with. I don't really like the rocket/min launch challenge. I've been scouring the forums for more complexity mods(the aforemendtion N-tech, Fractional distellery, Smelting, Bob's, Uranium power and etc) in my quest to keep from reaching the end game. I saw HardCrafting and your mod and was trying to make both work but that looked impossible so I went with your mod since it looks to be bigger challenge/timesink.

That chart made by pyanodon is already making my mouth water. Hopefully you get to implement all that in the future!
OvermindDL1 wrote:snip...
Thanks I'll try this out tonight!

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Pandemoneus wrote:@Arch666Angel
Your oil processing looks good. What other features are you planning (so I know how often my map is going to break)? :P
Thanks, now I need to make it playable :)
As for features: Depends on the mod, I consider the ores and refining mod as feature complete, there might be additional recipes still for balancing reasons (like there is a crushed-stone to mineral-sludge recipe in the next version), but anything else is a matter of tweaking numbers and balancing, since I'm happy with the structure for now. As for the processing it will be expanded further in time, but I need to plan ahead some other thing first before continuing. And I plan to have other mods to tackle smelting and building components for example.
pyanodon wrote: Glad to help.

Here a diagram i did based on your ideas and i added some suggestions. Of course, it´s just suggestions and i tried use the factorio vanilla stuff and logic plus your creations to get as near as i can to oil and gas processing. The process is way more complex but it´s a game after all. I like your mod and i see you´re doing a nice work until now, so here my two cents.

You´re right in the oil being broken until very light gases (like methane), some fuels can have very low hydrocarbons (like ethane for example) but there´s some process we can use to revert some by adding hydrogen/carbon/oxygen and catalysts plus a huge energy amount (hint) to get bigger hydrocarbons again (theoretically, but well, the game is on future, we sure would have technology for it, that´s why some artistic freedom i took).

A big suggestion is instead of using new ores/recipes like platinum and chrome, you could use the catalysts you created on alien stuff and gems. Is always good to have more than one use to a thing in factorio.
The big change i did was remove benzene from oil refining and put it to naphtha cracking.
Oh wow that looks amazing, next time I need to make a flowchart I'll ask you :D Really appreciate the help with that and I like the tie in with the thermal water. What else besides naphta would be the output of the thermal cracking?
I will try to implement most of the recipes in the next days, still have to do some experimenting with the icons for the items and recipes. Maybe I could ask you to have a look at them then and tell me if there are some big errors?

The concept with the catalyst is that you have to produce them for the refining part and that they link together the refining an processing mod, my general idea is to have one catalyst type for the ore refining that is based on chemical resources and another type for the oil/gas refining that is based on mineral resources, so you actually have to develop both resource chains in equal measure. So I would exchange the powdered ores in the alien artifacts for a chemical component and use the powdered ores for the catalysts which go into the chemical processes. That is at least my general idea (and might change) :D

Again the problem is to decide with which other combinations of the game and mods my mod should run, I tried to have the other mods tie in to the base game as well as bobs, but at times it is a bit lame to substitute an item you used with something much more simple for the base game. So for your flow chart what if someone uses the petrochem mod, but not the refining mod which gives you the thermal water, ores, the buildings and so on. That's the real pain in the ass when doing several mods.
OvermindDL1 wrote:/me is tempted to add a corn-like crop to their mod to add a renewable-but-slow fuel source...
Arch666Angel wrote:@OvermindDL1
True, but for now...
Don't you worry, there will be a tie in with the bio processing, so one can create methane from decomposing algae. (a lot of them) And bio oils/fuels, something similar to what yuoki does perhaps.
johnnyBgoode wrote: Thanks! The lack of an addicting end game has me looking for more complexity on the early and mid game. Out of the 5 games I've so far played I only launched the rocket once because after that there's nothing really to tinker with. I don't really like the rocket/min launch challenge. I've been scouring the forums for more complexity mods(the aforemendtion N-tech, Fractional distellery, Smelting, Bob's, Uranium power and etc) in my quest to keep from reaching the end game. I saw HardCrafting and your mod and was trying to make both work but that looked impossible so I went with your mod since it looks to be bigger challenge/timesink.

That chart made by pyanodon is already making my mouth water. Hopefully you get to implement all that in the future!
You could make hardcrafting work with my mods, by removing some lines in the ores mods override (the ones that delete the iron/copper entities). But the questions is then, what gain would you have from that because it would kill the whole incentive to do the refining with the ores mods. As far as I know the hardcrafting author wants to implement processing for bob ores, but I fear that he will run into the same issues I had when first looking at making such a mod: A shitton of recipes and items because of all the ores without even touching the matter of specializing or having alternative ways/recipes, that's one of the reasons I did reduce the ore count to the 6 compound ores first and not try to come up with refining steps for each individual ore type. Also one thing I didn't like with hardcrafting was having the multiple outputs with the miner, where you don't have the space to handle them.

When play testing I always have the feeling that especially with the refining mod it already extends the time at the start of the game greatly, because you have to setup bigger burner stages and keep everything running with coal, so progress is slow but you always have something to do and then after that you always have to keep an eye on your crushers and smelters until you have smart inserters and so on.

If you want to go really nuts, add the science overhaul mod in :)

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Arch666Angel wrote:Oh wow that looks amazing, next time I need to make a flowchart I'll ask you :D Really appreciate the help with that and I like the tie in with the thermal water. What else besides naphta would be the output of the thermal cracking?
I will try to implement most of the recipes in the next days, still have to do some experimenting with the icons for the items and recipes. Maybe I could ask you to have a look at them then and tell me if there are some big errors?
Feel free when you need :) Id like to see them and help you to adapt that to the game.

Well, naphtha is a common name for a very large range of petrochemicals that´s why they can be cracked into several chemicals. The thermal cracking we invented here using your thermal water creates basically Petcoke (showed in the chart) and naphtha. We can produce Tar and Paraffin among naphtha and Petcoke.

- Tar is a very very heavy viscous thing which can be used to make asphalt (throw directly in the ground like stone, concrete or ceramics in the game to increase walking velocity) by an assembly machine, or can be destiled with coal (yes) to produce Creosotes (a lot of medical and food chemicals (can be useful in the alien catalyst creation together with the Petri discs and Paste)). The Creosotes can be burned as fuel too.A sub product of the Tar´s destilation is light oils and anthracenes (which is the BASE of all kinds of dyes, since your alien catalysts are colored, here a hint).

-Paraffin can be converted into methane and ethane (i hope you increase the numbers of consuming that chemicals since a lot of them is produced in any stage, so turn the numbers XD), now the fun part, Paraffin can be converted to lubricant (vanilla) too. Other uses in the game could be to make rockets (both as weapon and the big one.) Additive to energy storage devices (accumulators) and used into biology to microscopic preparation (here we are again in the alien catalyst creation). Paraffin can be converted into mineral oil, for coolant and hydraulic fluid uses.

- Naphtha can also be used to make napalm. (hint) XD
- That kind of thermal cracking is good to break the most heavy and crude things, leaving the light chemicals to steam cracking. So, we can use thermal to crack heavy oil into light oil like in the vanilla game.
Arch666Angel wrote:The concept with the catalyst is that you have to produce them for the refining part and that they link together the refining an processing mod, my general idea is to have one catalyst type for the ore refining that is based on chemical resources and another type for the oil/gas refining that is based on mineral resources, so you actually have to develop both resource chains in equal measure. So I would exchange the powdered ores in the alien artifacts for a chemical component and use the powdered ores for the catalysts which go into the chemical processes. That is at least my general idea (and might change) :D
Good, so i was doing it inverted....take some of the fine products you created (like Ethane etc) and maybe some i suggested as resource to build your alien catalysts. I like your idea to use powdered ores as catalysts in the chemical chain. Just make the grinder factories smaller ahahaa (joke XD)
Arch666Angel wrote:Again the problem is to decide with which other combinations of the game and mods my mod should run, I tried to have the other mods tie in to the base game as well as bobs, but at times it is a bit lame to substitute an item you used with something much more simple for the base game. So for your flow chart what if someone uses the petrochem mod, but not the refining mod which gives you the thermal water, ores, the buildings and so on. That's the real pain in the ass when doing several mods.
That´s why dependencies are for. For example, i dont use your infinite ore mod, but it was necessary to install them here to use your ore refining. The same would be with the petrochem mod, people may dont need all that, but to work, they at least need to install it. We can always changes the need of special ores and thermal water for common water and vanilla ores. Unfortunately is a thing we must do to allow people play the petrochem mod if they dont want the ore and refining one.

Also, if you want me to add the tar/paraffin/naphtha steps in the main chart, just drop a note. :)
pY Coal processing mod

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x][Base] Angels Processing and Angels PetroChem

Post by Arch666Angel »

Migrated the Refining mod to its own Thread viewtopic.php?f=93&t=24906

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OvermindDL1 »

johnnyBgoode wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote:
If you want a truly hard pack, feel free to grab the pack that my server runs. 2-3 people on it, we tend to 'complete' a game every few weeks. This mod, lots of biter death, bobs mods, science overhaul, etc...
http://files.minecraftforge.net/Overmin ... tory4b.zip
I'm about to issue a new update on my server, so if you want the new pack when it comes out just replace the 'b' with 'c' (or 'd' or however high it goes) for the update. Forward updates should be game compatible with earlier updates, when it is game-incompatible then I increment the number ('4' to '5' for example, not done to 5 yet). It is tweaked primarily for new people (as my server goers are), but not too much so as they have gone through a couple games now and have it down better now. Makes for a great single player game too or play it with friends.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

pyanodon wrote: Feel free when you need :) Id like to see them and help you to adapt that to the game.

Well, naphtha is a common name for a very large range of petrochemicals that´s why they can be cracked into several chemicals. The thermal cracking we invented here using your thermal water creates basically Petcoke (showed in the chart) and naphtha. We can produce Tar and Paraffin among naphtha and Petcoke.

- Tar is a very very heavy viscous thing which can be used to make asphalt (throw directly in the ground like stone, concrete or ceramics in the game to increase walking velocity) by an assembly machine, or can be destiled with coal (yes) to produce Creosotes (a lot of medical and food chemicals (can be useful in the alien catalyst creation together with the Petri discs and Paste)). The Creosotes can be burned as fuel too.A sub product of the Tar´s destilation is light oils and anthracenes (which is the BASE of all kinds of dyes, since your alien catalysts are colored, here a hint).

-Paraffin can be converted into methane and ethane (i hope you increase the numbers of consuming that chemicals since a lot of them is produced in any stage, so turn the numbers XD), now the fun part, Paraffin can be converted to lubricant (vanilla) too. Other uses in the game could be to make rockets (both as weapon and the big one.) Additive to energy storage devices (accumulators) and used into biology to microscopic preparation (here we are again in the alien catalyst creation). Paraffin can be converted into mineral oil, for coolant and hydraulic fluid uses.

- Naphtha can also be used to make napalm. (hint) XD
- That kind of thermal cracking is good to break the most heavy and crude things, leaving the light chemicals to steam cracking. So, we can use thermal to crack heavy oil into light oil like in the vanilla game.
Arch666Angel wrote:The concept with the catalyst is that you have to produce them for the refining part and that they link together the refining an processing mod, my general idea is to have one catalyst type for the ore refining that is based on chemical resources and another type for the oil/gas refining that is based on mineral resources, so you actually have to develop both resource chains in equal measure. So I would exchange the powdered ores in the alien artifacts for a chemical component and use the powdered ores for the catalysts which go into the chemical processes. That is at least my general idea (and might change) :D
Good, so i was doing it inverted....take some of the fine products you created (like Ethane etc) and maybe some i suggested as resource to build your alien catalysts. I like your idea to use powdered ores as catalysts in the chemical chain. Just make the grinder factories smaller ahahaa (joke XD)

Also, if you want me to add the tar/paraffin/naphtha steps in the main chart, just drop a note. :)
Implemented some of the basic lines and already made some changes to have some recipes fit the given machines: separator 5x5 (1 in, 3 out), gas refinery 7x7 (1 in, 3 out), steam cracker 5x5 (2 in, 1 out), advanced chemical plant (3 in, 3 out). I have to think about the naphtha line maybe have it that it need carbon, so it would be coal -> carbon -> petcoke upgrade chain.

Little progress with placeholders :D
Attachments
Image5.jpg
Image5.jpg (269.37 KiB) Viewed 8486 times
Image4.jpg
Image4.jpg (128.25 KiB) Viewed 8489 times

Return to “Angels Mods”