Development and Discussion

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x][Base] Angels Refining and Angels Processing

Post by OvermindDL1 »

kingoftheinternet wrote:I didn't really pay attention to the "wood from algae" chain previously, but I'm looking at it now that it's easier to set up than greenhouses and... it looks like it's wood-negative (at least if you have Bob's mods)? 5 synthetic wood, which is the equivalent of 2.5 logs, requires 3 resin, which has to be made from 3 logs. Am I missing something?
Not if you use algae (which you will want to, you get a *lot* of mineralized water from ore processing as output, which is used to make algae), then you will need algae and 3 resin (3 logs) to make 5 synthetic wood (planks), so it is a gain on wood, not loss, however "Bio Processing 2" research allows you to make natural wood planks (unless the recipe name is wrong? I'm just finishing researching it) from pure algae and either 'Sodium Hydroxide' (which you get tons of from normal ore processing), or Chlor methane (we have an abundance of chlorine from processing too, but that is easy to vent), so no wood input required at all, however it only makes the wood planks and I am not seeing a way to get resin from algae (not sure that makes sense), but that does mean *significantly* less Bio Tree Farms needed as the only use for wood then is just resin (woot!) as I will be getting probably *too*much* algae/wood from just side effects of ore processing (can always turn into circuits, no such thing as too many wood planks, but would still like some way to get resin, maybe from the algae/plastic line?) (EDIT0: And algae can make plastics with later research too, but I think it is blue research, which in my modpack is... difficult to get...) (EDIT1: It is synthetic wood too, cool, just a naming oddity of the recipe)

Either way, picture time:
Zoom-out of base, Stiratite processing on right, Saphirite processing in middle, the output ores processed on left
Output ore processing area, temp warehouse storage, building up the ore processing lines for the stock-bobs ores directly now
Last edited by OvermindDL1 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

I noticed mark 2 processing plan is slightly larger than mark 2 in its hitbox. Is that intentional?

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

kingoftheinternet wrote:I didn't really pay attention to the "wood from algae" chain previously, but I'm looking at it now that it's easier to set up than greenhouses and... it looks like it's wood-negative (at least if you have Bob's mods)? 5 synthetic wood, which is the equivalent of 2.5 logs, requires 3 resin, which has to be made from 3 logs. Am I missing something?
The point that the synthetic wood is made from Oil and that you can exchange/mix the resin from wood with the resin from oil. So it should be a way to supplement your production if you have wood but not enough and the other way around with heavy oil.
OvermindDL1 wrote:
Not if you use algae (which you will want to, you get a *lot* of mineralized water from ore processing as output, which is used to make algae), then you will need algae and 3 resin (3 logs) to make 5 synthetic wood (planks), so it is a gain on wood, not loss, however "Bio Processing 2" research allows you to make natural wood planks (unless the recipe name is wrong? I'm just finishing researching it) from pure algae and either 'Sodium Hydroxide' (which you get tons of from normal ore processing), or Chlor methane (we have an abundance of chlorine from processing too, but that is easy to vent), so no wood input required at all, however it only makes the wood planks and I am not seeing a way to get resin from algae (not sure that makes sense), but that does mean *significantly* less Bio Tree Farms needed as the only use for wood then is just resin (woot!) as I will be getting probably *too*much* algae/wood from just side effects of ore processing (can always turn into circuits, no such thing as too many wood planks, but would still like some way to get resin, maybe from the algae/plastic line?) (EDIT0: And algae can make plastics with later research too, but I think it is blue research, which in my modpack is... difficult to get...) (EDIT1: It is synthetic wood too, cool, just a naming oddity of the recipe)
It's a first step, I have to look into it if you can make resin from algae. But another obvious step would be bio fuels and plastics like you already mentioned. Btw for the moment you can get rid of unwanted liquids by pumping them into a steam engine.
kiba wrote:I noticed mark 2 processing plan is slightly larger than mark 2 in its hitbox. Is that intentional?
Nope that is not intentional, fixing it right now.

-Ore Processing: fixed collision box for the higher tiers of the processing plant

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OvermindDL1 »

Arch666Angel wrote:Btw for the moment you can get rid of unwanted liquids by pumping them into a steam engine.
Yep, Factorio's Steam Engines have always been great at voiding unwanted fluids. ^.^

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OvermindDL1 »

So... why are all the liquids you add colored orange? Purified water is orange. Mineralized water is orange. Waste water is orange (this one could make a little sense since it has sulfur in it...). Etc... ;-)

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

That will be changed for the next, I just wanted to get the next thing out :) I will try to colour them according to the icons, so mineralized greyish, sulphur water yellowish, etc. I'm doing a test play myself at the moment, to see how the changes feel :) Is your apprentice already vomiting from rebuilding the processing all over? (I feel so sorry for him :/ )

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OvermindDL1 »

Arch666Angel wrote:That will be changed for the next, I just wanted to get the next thing out :) I will try to colour them according to the icons, so mineralized greyish, sulphur water yellowish, etc. I'm doing a test play myself at the moment, to see how the changes feel :) Is your apprentice already vomiting from rebuilding the processing all over? (I feel so sorry for him :/ )
Lol, not yet, and he is about to tear down a *large* chunk of it to rebuild it again so he can line things up better. Here is his current mess before the tear-down (the bottom algae processing is my doing, the rest is his). :-)
Current Mess

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

OvermindDL1 wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote:That will be changed for the next, I just wanted to get the next thing out :) I will try to colour them according to the icons, so mineralized greyish, sulphur water yellowish, etc. I'm doing a test play myself at the moment, to see how the changes feel :) Is your apprentice already vomiting from rebuilding the processing all over? (I feel so sorry for him :/ )
Lol, not yet, and he is about to tear down a *large* chunk of it to rebuild it again so he can line things up better. Here is his current mess before the tear-down (the bottom algae processing is my doing, the rest is his). :-)
Current Mess
Looks good, needs more saturation :D Which wood recipes are you using?

I'm still early in
My Setup

KorGgenT
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KorGgenT »

I have found an interesting bug. When using productivity modules in Filtration Units, it copies the filter frame.

OvermindDL1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OvermindDL1 »

KorGgenT wrote:I have found an interesting bug. When using productivity modules in Filtration Units, it copies the filter frame.
Ah, heh, any recipes with filter frames should probably have productivity effects added to the blacklisted modules list to keep them from being duplicatable. ;-P

EDIT0: If bobsmods is detected then you can use his module limitations functionality by just using (if existing) bobslibrary and calling:

Code: Select all

bobmods.lib.add_productivity_limitation("module-case")
But for whichever items you want to prevent productivity on. This way it will prevent it for all modules with productivity, including raw productivity and god modules and all modules higher than normal vanilla levels.

EDIT1: Bob actually puts many calls to that behind a cheaty allow option if you want to follow his pattern: bobmods.config.modules.EnableProductivityLimitation

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

OvermindDL1 wrote:
KorGgenT wrote:I have found an interesting bug. When using productivity modules in Filtration Units, it copies the filter frame.
Ah, heh, any recipes with filter frames should probably have productivity effects added to the blacklisted modules list to keep them from being duplicatable. ;-P

EDIT0: If bobsmods is detected then you can use his module limitations functionality by just using (if existing) bobslibrary and calling:

bobmods.lib.add_productivity_limitation("module-case")
But for whichever items you want to prevent productivity on. This way it will prevent it for all modules with productivity, including raw productivity and god modules and all modules higher than normal vanilla levels.

EDIT1: Bob actually puts many calls to that behind a cheaty allow option if you want to follow his pattern: bobmods.config.modules.EnableProductivityLimitation
I'd rather remove the productivity from the filtration entity, because all recipes that are made in the filter will run into that issue and it will work without bobs :)

Speadge
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Speadge »

hey angel,

sorry to ask, but why did u remove the old gfx from 0.12.3?
i know it used parts of the rocketsilo, but i kinda liked it...

so im not so happy with rebuilding the factory now for fitting new sizes...

kingoftheinternet
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kingoftheinternet »

Arch666Angel wrote:
The point that the synthetic wood is made from Oil and that you can exchange/mix the resin from wood with the resin from oil. So it should be a way to supplement your production if you have wood but not enough and the other way around with heavy oil.
Heavy oil and logs have the same exchange rates for (synthetic) wood and resin; rather than use 3 heavy oil to make 3 resin and get 5 synthetic wood from the algae chain, I could've just used that 3 heavy oil to make 6 synthetic wood directly. I'm still unclear on which situation I'd want to use this in, since I can always make more "wood" by turning whichever resource directly into wood rather than into resin as an intermediate.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Hello. Can't find lead ingot despite being on processing ore level 3 researched.

Pandemoneus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pandemoneus »

kiba wrote:Hello. Can't find lead ingot despite being on processing ore level 3 researched.
I'm pretty sure you need to have Lead Processing 3 researched.
My RSO+Bob's+Angel's modpack: Farlands (outdated)
Mods (current): Resource Labels
Mods (old): Biter Spires

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Pandemoneus wrote:
kiba wrote:Hello. Can't find lead ingot despite being on processing ore level 3 researched.
Don't see one.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

kiba wrote:
Pandemoneus wrote:
Don't see one.
Depends on the version, in 0.1.4 they were scattered behind the individual ores processing tech, like lead processing 2 and 3. With 0.1.5 all the processing recipes were moved into the ore-processing technology to have less techs overall and less clutter. So with ore-processing-3 you should have almost all the processing recipes, if not there maybe an error in my migration script. Did you upgrade from an older version? Did you start a new game with the current version? An which recipes is missing, the processed to ingot, or ingot to plate?

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Arch666Angel wrote:
kiba wrote:
Pandemoneus wrote:
Don't see one.
Depends on the version, in 0.1.4 they were scattered behind the individual ores processing tech, like lead processing 2 and 3. With 0.1.5 all the processing recipes were moved into the ore-processing technology to have less techs overall and less clutter. So with ore-processing-3 you should have almost all the processing recipes, if not there maybe an error in my migration script. Did you upgrade from an older version? Did you start a new game with the current version? An which recipes is missing, the processed to ingot, or ingot to plate?
processed to ingot is missing. Upgraded to 1.6 on existing map.

Madd_Mugsy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Madd_Mugsy »

Cool mod! I've been looking for more interesting logistics for ore processing and this has it in spades :)

I found that it causes an error in the landfill mod though. When you try to use the water-be-gone tool, it crashes the game because it can't find the "stone" entity.

This line in Landfill's control.lua is the culprit:

player.surface.create_entity({name = "stone", position = {x * 32, y * 32}, force = force}).destroy()
However, if I change it to this:

player.surface.create_entity({name = "angels-ore1", position = {x * 32, y * 32}, force = force}).destroy()
then everything works again. So I'm guessing it has something to do with the way that stone is being prevented from spawning on the map?

The water bomb also references the "stone" entity, so I'd assume it will cause a similar crash.

Pandemoneus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pandemoneus »

Hey Angel,

I updated your mods in my modpack on an existing map. I see that you added brown catalysts. From the mod files I see that they are unlocked in Advanced Refining I, but I can't find them in any tab. Iron powder and stone powder seem to be missing too.

[edit]
Well, nevermind. I just started a new map.
My RSO+Bob's+Angel's modpack: Farlands (outdated)
Mods (current): Resource Labels
Mods (old): Biter Spires

Return to “Angels Mods”