[Rseding] [1.1.32] Buggy base game GUI when using large relative GUIs

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Rseding] [1.1.32] Buggy base game GUI when using large relative GUIs

Post by Xorimuth »

I can work around this by setting `maximal_height = 930` on the outermost frame, but I'm pretty sure the behaviour is unwanted.

To reproduce, load the save with the attached mod (not the same as the version on the mod portal), and click on the spidertron. You can use the patrol remote (click on the ground) to expand the height of the UI and the 'cross' or 'reset' buttons to shrink it. When the height gets too large, the bottom of the GUI is just blank and unresponsive, and the top of the relative GUI pops out above the top of the main GUI.

This issue only occurs on larger UI scales, but it is present at 1080p 100% scale (see screenshot). It doesn't occur on smaller-than-recommend scalings, or the default 175% scale on my 3072 × 1920 display (which is 16:10, so more space anyway). Using the `maximal_height = 930` workaround means that on the high-DPI, 16:10 display it doesn't use the full height like it used to.

Screenshot 2021-05-01 at 23.41.16.png
Screenshot 2021-05-01 at 23.41.16.png (291.11 KiB) Viewed 3619 times
Attachments
Buggy UI.zip
(499.19 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
SpidertronPatrols_2.0.0.zip
(204.8 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
factorio-current.log
(18.76 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.32] Buggy base game GUI when using large relative GUIs

Post by Xorimuth »

My hardcoded maximal_height workaround doesn't even work when another mod is taking up some of the relative space: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Spidertro ... 5c11dd15bf
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.32] Buggy base game GUI when using large relative GUIs

Post by Xorimuth »

This does not cause any issues with https://mods.factorio.com/mod/production-potential (v1.2.0) which has a relative GUI, a scroll box, but no `maximal_height`, implying that it is an issue specific to entity GUIs.
My mods

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Rseding] [1.1.32] Buggy base game GUI when using large relative GUIs

Post by Rseding91 »

Thinking about this more; I'm not sure how this should work in the end. Should the contents of the relative GUIs get squashed down to the height/width of the base-game GUI. Or should the base-game GUI stretch to match the relative GUI?... I'm not sure. I don't think either is always "correct" which is where I'm currently stuck.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Rseding91 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:46 pm
Thinking about this more; I'm not sure how this should work in the end. Should the contents of the relative GUIs get squashed down to the height/width of the base-game GUI. Or should the base-game GUI stretch to match the relative GUI?... I'm not sure. I don't think either is always "correct" which is where I'm currently stuck.
Well, I personally prefer the current behaviour of stretching the base game GUI to match the relative GUI (up to a maximum height, ofc). Particularly with multiple mods adding relative GUIs, space would get quite limited otherwise. If a specific mod wants to ‘turn off’ this behaviour then they can do it by limiting the height of their outer frame.

Vanilla inventory GUIs already expand along with their inventory size.

On the other hand, expanding the GUI dynamically leads to viewtopic.php?f=48&t=98136&p=545580, which you didn’t want to fix…

However, I’m not sure if this debate has much to do with the reported bug - the base-game GUI already stretches to match the relative GUI, just not always correctly.
My mods

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

This is now fixed for the next release thanks to tburrows13.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”