[posila] [0.17.69] Offshore pumps on shallow water

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
SimonFlapse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[posila] [0.17.69] Offshore pumps on shallow water

Post by SimonFlapse »

Offshore pumps can be placed on shallow water, when adjacent to water. This seems counter intuitive since you can't connect to the pump.

Screenshot of the offshore pump in water (Flying text from trying to place a pipe)

Should be easily reproduced using the editor

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.69] Offshore pumps on shallow water

Post by Zaflis »

You could techically place 1 piece of landfill under the pipe. And i'm assuming the shallow water is only an editor thing, as in it's never generated in freeplay?

SimonFlapse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SimonFlapse »

Shallow water doesn't allow landfill:

I don't think it generates in freeplay, and you're placing the offshore pump on the water tile.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

Sounds like a bug with shallow water (it's a modded thing anyway isn't it?). I could see where pumps are allowed at the interface of "walkable" tiles (grass, desert, etc) and water. Buildables can't be placed on shallow water however (contrast a code check for interface between tiles). If this never came up before, the tile couldn't be configured to support both behaviors. I can imagine the "floor" settings have "walkable"/"buildable"/"is-water", because "walkable" and "is-water" are nowhere near the same concept. I've never looked at the flooring types, if there are any in the data folder, but that'd be the place to look. Or the API stuff itself. "is-water" might be tied to being landfill-able, but it doesn't seem like it should lock out if a pump can be placed at an interface.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

No, shallow water is unmodded thing. Type /editor to console in regular freeplay game and you'll see.

It's 1 or both of these things:
- Placing landfill should be allowed on shallow water. <- Definitely.
- Offshore pumps should be placed on edge of land and shallow water. <- I'm unsure if this is how it should work, might not need changing.
- Maybe even allow building pipes and underground pipes on shallow water.

SimonFlapse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SimonFlapse »

I like the idea of shallow water not being landfill-able, it allows me to place some natural obstacles that you can't build on, but you can walk through.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

It doesn't make sense though that water could be landfillable, but shallow water couldn't.

A tile where you can walk but where you can't build has a lot of potential though - but what could be fitting ? "Rough, rocky" terrain ? Could be the equivalent to cliffs as shallow water is to water... (Yes, I know that cliffs aren't technically a tile...)
You could have cliffs blow up into rough terrain allowing passing through (at a speed penalty), but still not building. And a second tech for clearing rough terrain - mods could make cliffs "drop" regular terrain instead, remove the clearing tech, and use rough terrain for the purpose of specific construction blocking. (Alternatively : see suggestions for Starcraft's style "creep".)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [posila] [0.17.69] Offshore pumps on shallow water

Post by posila »

Fortunatelly: Before campaign was cancelled, Vaclav changed his mind about shallow water not being landfillable, so he changed collision mask of shallow water, and that also fixed issue with being able to build offshore pump on transition of shallow water to water. (Fixed in 0.18.0)

Unfortunatelly: You still can't build offshore pump on shallow water shore, and since the campaign was cancelled, we no longer care about that.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”