[Oxyd] [0.17.34] [Linux] Steam claims that factorio keeps running after exit

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
sanfred
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Oxyd] [0.17.34] [Linux] Steam claims that factorio keeps running after exit

Post by sanfred »

After exiting factorio via the main menu, steam claims that Factorio is still running. This means that I'm not getting any cloud sync, and I cannot restart Factorio without forcing steam to exit and then starting it again.

I have verified that no factorio process is running.

Where can I find any useful log message to locate the problem?

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.34 Linux] Steam claims that factorio keeps running after exit

Post by TruePikachu »

If the Factorio process isn't running, it's almost certainly a bug with Steam.

EDIT: Or does Factorio `fork(2)` any subprocesses?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I would like to see the log, but I suspect, that it might be related to this: 70110

sanfred
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sanfred »

kovarex wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:59 pm
I would like to see the log
I found the log file now!
factorio-current.log
(8.87 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
I learned today that if I send a SIGINT to Steam (by pressing Ctrl+C in the terminal), it suddenly realizes that Factorio has exited and starts the sync.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Oxyd] [0.17.34] [Linux] Steam claims that factorio keeps running after exit

Post by TruePikachu »

This part looks fine, at least: (EDIT: Except there's never any message indicating the start of the user-prompted save, hm...)

Code: Select all

22490.221 Info AppManager.cpp:277: Saving to _autosave2 (blocking).
22491.239 Info AppManagerStates.cpp:1748: Saving finished
23091.265 Info AppManager.cpp:277: Saving to _autosave3 (blocking).
23092.317 Info AppManagerStates.cpp:1748: Saving finished
23323.849 Info AppManagerStates.cpp:1748: Saving finished
23325.458 Quitting: user-quit.
23325.458 Info GlobalContext.cpp:683: Waiting for child processes to exit: 
23325.526 Steam API shutdown.
23325.533 Goodbye
Notably, these are all blocking saves, so I'm not 100% sure if a new process even gets spawned.

You're running Steam such that it's attached to a TTY? Does it give any useful diagnostic messages? I'll have to review everything that can be done from...at least the `-console` console, I think a couple of commands are related to diagnosing game exit issues.

sanfred
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [Oxyd] [0.17.34] [Linux] Steam claims that factorio keeps running after exit

Post by sanfred »

I have attached the output from steam into my terminal.
steam-terminal-output.txt
(8.46 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
After the "Goodbye" message, I waited a good minute at least, before hitting Ctrl+C. Doing so doesn't cause steam to quit (I exited steam from its menu after it had finished syncing), it just makes steam understand that factorio isn't running anymore.

Super weird.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

The log says Factorio exited cleanly, which is consistent with your verification that no Factorio process is running. So this is different from the other issue linked by kovarex, where the process hangs on exit.

Needless to say, I can't reproduce this and can't imagine why it would be happening either. It seems to be a rather common issue with Steam, though, so I'm inclined to call this a Steam bug. Some people suggest that disabling Steam Overlay fixes it for them in other games – does that fix it for you in Factorio as well?

alercah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by alercah »

I encountered this as well with .44, so past the other issue fix, and verified that there were no factorio processes running.

Thought: If you take a screenshot with the overlay, Steam tries to prompt you what to do with it when you close the game. Maybe that's getting stuck someplace? But I don't know if that's the overlay process or not---I don't think the overlay process was running either.

Return to “Pending”