[TOGoS] [0.17.6] Cliff Frequency Below 100% Little to No Effect

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
onelastword
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[TOGoS] [0.17.6] Cliff Frequency Below 100% Little to No Effect

Post by onelastword »

Something I've noticed with the map generator in 0.17.6 is the weighting of "Cliff Frequency" below 100% has no noticeable effect on the map generated.

Here are a two images of a map with the cliff frequency turned from 100% to 17%

To make sure my eyes were not deceiving me I put the two screenshots through diff checker:

The bright pink areas are the visual diff from the above image. The only changes are the slider position.

I know frequency is the "number of cliffs" but I count >20 different sets of cliffs so if this is a frequency change from 100%/17% even with some other weights there should be some sort of notable difference in these values and the result.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.6] Cliff Frequency Below 100% Little to No Effect

Post by invisus »

onelastword wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:54 am
Something I've noticed with the map generator in 0.17.6 is the weighting of "Cliff Frequency" below 100% has no noticeable effect on the map generated.
Is this just an issue with the map preview, or does the generated map have cliffs present as well?

TOGoS
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by TOGoS »

invisus wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:27 am
onelastword wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:54 am
Is this just an issue with the map preview, or does the generated map have cliffs present as well?
This has been brought up to me on multiple occasions. The trouble is that cliffs are placed at certain elevations and increasing cliff frequency just reduces the difference between those rows. The starting area tends to not have high elevations (due to the way the starting area lake is generated), so you only get one row of cliffs unless you turn cliff frequency *way up*. We could reduce the default delta elevation per frequency multiplier, but then you get kind of ridiculous cliffs in some places farther from the starting area.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Oh, so there will still be a (noticeable?) difference outside of the starting area ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:06 pm
Oh, so there will still be a (noticeable?) difference outside of the starting area ?
Yes, there should.

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Dominik »

If I want to have cliffs, but less of them around the start, is there a way to do that?

TOGoS
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by TOGoS »

Dominik wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:47 pm
If I want to have cliffs, but less of them around the start, is there a way to do that?
Not from the GUI, but we could just change the 'cliffiness' function to give lower values near starting points. multiply by distance / 1000 or somesuch.

(And if we really wanted, that could then be made into an option that's selectable from the GUI by setting its intended_property_name = "cliffiness")

Return to “Minor issues”