[Oxyd] Too many unit groups

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Oxyd] Too many unit groups

Post by BHakluyt »

Hi There

Although not landfill related, biters do seem to have some big issue. All over my map they just bunch together and wait for better days? Can you make them more aggressive so that they don't bunch together for days before attacking. Currently this map run at 34 UPS, which I noticed after updating to v 16.16, but it could have started before then because I recently flew around and attacked some for fun. Either case, when I delete all enemies via console my UPS jump back to a stable 60 again. And as you can see my base is not really that big yet. (Still need to setup red circuits, blue circuits, stone, oil and science. Where will my UPS end then?

Also note that I started this map without expansion on and activated it via console a few days ago. Also, you will have to have mod Dectorio enabled since no power will be on without Dectorio's signals.
Herewith my pc specs
Mod List
MyLazyIsland_017.zip
LazyIsland Save 17
(57.21 MiB) Downloaded 230 times
edit - I figured out how to do proper spoilers so added them...
Last edited by BHakluyt on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Oxyd] biters still inactive - pathfinding over landfill?

Post by BHakluyt »

Hi Oxyd.

Sorry to prod, but usually a dev would have responded by now. I think my map will work fine without all those mods, just go place a power pole at the power witches at steam plant north of mall to bypass settings.

Anyways, these biters are just getting worse here. Factorio v16.16, They are now almost standing full the whole part of south west island and pathing (F4) show they wanna cross the water but the dumb things need to evolve brains too because there is a train junction with lotsa lasers and if they all just rush there theycould probaby take me on.

My ups is dropping to 22 now after about 12hrs more than above save. It seems my solution would be to just forsake biters and command console the lot. But no I want a challenge too man!!! Something to distract and keep me from expanding my base every now and again. Plus it lonely man...their company is nice.

Please have a look?

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Hi sorry. Didn't mean to hi-jack. I think it is related because my biters are mostly inactive and destroy my UPS. And also it seems they want some landfill in some places because pathing shows them waiting at shore to cross when there is a way to run on land...

And no, still no arty's researched in my game even yet after what 8 days... Did poke them with my chopper - shot some with missiles and otherwise just flying over get them moving a bit.

When agitating them, they would follow me for a short distance and then just abandon. Even when moving slowly, like to lure them on the correct path. They don't even want to follow me proper. Maybe some values is messed up making the player less of a threat than that steam engine?

Thanks for the reply and suggestion man. Will try again proper to clear some and see what happens.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Hi

So if I may continue to "hi-jack" this topic... I finally crafted two free-standing artys, made 11 bullets and headed to a spot where they can cross and should rush...

So fired a few bullets automatically: Boom goes spawner and one row of biters immediately around. Some tried to move but was trapped inbetween the millions of their dumb zombie brothers.

Fired a few bullets manually too, on top of the waiting herds... nothing. Just pop pop pop and waiting for more...

So I lost my cool and ran towards them like a crazy fool, shot into the two groups some missles, and then they do this: See screenshot. (Some come for me but the majority remain braindead...)
PIC
Last edited by BHakluyt on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [Oxyd] Too many unit groups

Post by Oxyd »

Please don't report unrelated issues in bug report threads. I split your comments into a new thread.

The problem in your save is that you have way too many biter groups for the game to handle. The vanilla game should not make such a number of groups, but it doesn't seem you're using any AI-related mods either. Did you ever use any mods in this save that would change enemy behaviour?

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Hi Oxyd. I didn't want to contribute to there being too much duplicate threads and posts and thaught the issue was more or less related. Anyhow, I can't recall ever doing that. I tend to play with biters and pollution off always, so I normally would definitely not have downloaded a mod for biters/AI.

I did start that map without evolution expansion, and en enabled it with the command on the wiki. Thereafter they started getting more. Now that I think about it, is it not that?

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Alright, well, it looks like the game simply decided to spawn an absurd number of biters. That shouldn't happen anymore in 0.16.17.

After update, the existing biters will still be there, so you'll have to run /c game.forces.enemy.kill_all_units() to clear the biters. After that, they should spawn with a bit more moderation.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Hi Oxyd! Thank you for the reply. You Factorio guys are the best!

Now just got to wait for the 16.17 release... I hope its soon. Looks like it is going to be a big one too with lots of fixes.

Anyways, I just ran the /c game.forces.enemy.kill_all_units() command in my game. Ahh to see trains drive fast is so awesome. But I see something which didn't happen last time I killed them all..maybe I didn't notice it. But yeah some biters and worms and spawners are still alive... Am I confused? Another bug?

edit - And then a bit later they pop up again as per usual...
Screenshot
This is just FYI, it seems I should have done further testing then I would have seen this. But so whatever makes them spawn too much still make them spawn too much in my current game I think...

By the way, the two spawners top right of that shot survived the command console. Maybe I got hacked? lol

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

It won't be fixed until the next release :P .
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Jap2.0 wrote:It won't be fixed until the next release :P .
Yes yes... What about console command not killing everyone?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

BHakluyt wrote:Yes yes... What about console command not killing everyone?
The command kills units not structures.

ASemenov
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ASemenov »

I got same problem. Playing clear 0.16 without mods. Ups drop to 15 on my overclocked core i7-5930. 1300 unit groups
Are they spawned in opened chanks only or at all map? Can I kill them manually after game update without console commands?

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

ASemenov wrote:I got same problem. Playing clear 0.16 without mods. Ups drop to 15 on my overclocked core i7-5930. 1300 unit groups
Are they spawned in opened chanks only or at all map? Can I kill them manually after game update without console commands?
Well, yes, you can walk up to them and kill them with your weapon of choice. Doing this manually for all 1300 groups is going to take a while, though.

Unit groups are created when biters absorb enough pollution to start an attack, so they should be in or very near to polluted chunks only.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”