[Rseding91] [16.16] Mod `global` serialization bug

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
Akhiros
Inserter
Inserter

[Rseding91] [16.16] Mod `global` serialization bug

Post by Akhiros »

Entity references stored in a mod's global table are sometimes (but deterministically) invalidated after save/load. I've attached an isolated test-case to demonstrate this:
SaveBug_1.0.0.zip
Isolated test-case mod
(1.06 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Steps to reproduce:
  1. Start a new game using the mod.
  2. Move your cursor over an entity and run the command /save-selected
  3. Run the command /print-saved. Both save-method 1 and save-method 2 will properly display the saved entity.
  4. Save and load the game.
  5. Re-run the /print-saved command. I expect the same output as before, but instead save-method 1 has its entity invalidated.
Other notes: Removing save-method 2 fixes save-method 1. Generally, fiddling around with adding/removing a save-method can affect other save-methods.

PS, thank you Chrisgbk for double-checking that my test-case is reproducible, and confirming that this looks like unexpected behavior.

chrisgbk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [16.16] Mod `global` serialization bug

Post by chrisgbk »

Just to add on some extra information:

It appears that something goes wrong somewhere in the games save/load, and this results in global.save1 turning into a table that contains the entity instead of being a plain reference to the entity, ie:

Code: Select all

Before save/load:
global.save1 = { userdata }

after save/load:
global.save1 = { { userdata } }
meaning that prior to loading, accessing global.save1 works, but after loading, accessing global.save1[1] works and global.save1 doesn't - a very unexpected result.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Rseding91] [16.16] Mod `global` serialization bug

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. I have no idea what's happening here that would produce these results.

I did manage to track down that it's being caused by your on_init call to store nil. Specifically this line of code causes some weird broken state inside Lua:

Code: Select all

local t = { [ { nil } ] = true }
This does reinforce my opinion that you should *never* use tables as keys though :P

If this ends up being a bigger problem I might just enforce that in the version of Lua that Factorio uses.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Rseding91] [16.16] Mod `global` serialization bug

Post by Rseding91 »

From what I found while looking into this I almost thing it's a bug with Lua itself.

For now I'm going to move this to minor issues and say "don't use tables as keys". If this becomes a bigger problem I'll enforce that people don't use tables as keys (at least in the global table that's saved/loaded).
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Minor issues”