[Donion] [1.1.69] Audio does not switch to headphones when connected after factorio has started

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
asher_sky
Inserter
Inserter

[Donion] [1.1.69] Audio does not switch to headphones when connected after factorio has started

Post by asher_sky »

Steps to reproduce:
1. Launch factorio
2. connect headphones (I specifically used Apple AirPods, not sure if this happens with other headphones or not)
3. factorio doesn't switch the audio output to the headphones, so it still comes out of the main laptop speakers

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Donion] [1.1.69] Audio does not switch to headphones when connected after factorio has started

Post by Donion »

Hello, thank you for the report.
So far I'm not able to reproduce it (on Windows or Linux with a bluetooth speaker, I don't have a Mac at hand) on my end.
Are you using the default (SDL) or Allegro audio backend? I would be interested to know if the issue is present for both of them or not, you can switch between them by following isntructions in this post.
Are you using Steam or standalone version of Factorio?

abbakadabba
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [Donion] [1.1.69] Audio does not switch to headphones when connected after factorio has started

Post by abbakadabba »

I have this same issue. (didn't search well enough)

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=103836
1. What did you do?
- start factorio
- hear audio from system speakers
- connect bluetooth headphones
2. What happened?
- audio continues to play through computer speakers
3. What did you expect to happen instead?
- audio switch to headphone output

Related (i think): Sound drops completely when disconnecting bluetooth headphones
1. What did you do?
- connect bluetooth headphones
- start factorio
- hear audio through headphones
- disconnect bluetooth headphones
2. What happened?
- audio drops completely
3. What did you expect to happen instead?
- audio switch to system speakers

This did not occur in the past.
I am unsure if this started after a Factorio update or an OS update.
I first noticed the issue after recently updating both the game and the OS.

Factorio version: 1.1.69 (build 60061, mac)
OS version: macOS Monterey 12.6
Computer: MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro
Headphones: Bose NC 700 HP
logs attached to linked post.

I am using the standalone version.
Audio interface:
- default: issue present
- allegro: issue not present
- allegro-via-sdl: Audio error -> Coudln't initialize audio. Audio is disabled.
- sdl: issue present

switching the audio interface is a good enough solution for me, thanks!!

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Donion »

With version 1.1.71, the SDL and its audio backend has been updated to a newer version.
Could you try out the new version and see if it helps?

Also, version 1.1.70 introduces preferred audio output device setting. You should be able to switch to a newly connected audio device while factorio is running.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Huh, while I've never tried this with Factorio, I don't think I've ever had a game where it would switch audio when a headset is connected without a restart. I always figured this is just how it was. Good to know that's not actually the case!
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Donion »

There's a lot of moving pieces going into this, and it will be different on different platforms.

For example, even prior to 1.1.71 release, on my Windows setup, both SDL and Allegro backend would use whatever device was marked as "default". When I plugged in for example USB headset or bluetooth speaker, in Windows the default device could change (or I would change it manually) and Factorio sound would switch over to the new device, while running.

spacedestructor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by spacedestructor »

i would like to contribute to this thread and saying i have nearly the same issue but with the main difference im not connecting or disconnecting any audio devices.
I have my headset set to default in windows but the connected Microphone and TV provide alternative audio outputs.
For some unexplainable to me reason Factorio is since introducing the option to change the audio device ingame defaulting to the TV.
Every single time i set the correct audio device in the windows settings for Factorio manually to the correct device(not sure if related but windows always changes back to display "default" rather then the audio output i had set it to) as well as setting it in game to fix the audio.
No matter if i do this in the main menu or in a save, it always changes back to my TV on launching the game.

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Donion »

spacedestructor wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:35 pm
i would like to contribute to this thread and saying i have nearly the same issue but with the main difference im not connecting or disconnecting any audio devices.
I have my headset set to default in windows but the connected Microphone and TV provide alternative audio outputs.
For some unexplainable to me reason Factorio is since introducing the option to change the audio device ingame defaulting to the TV.
Every single time i set the correct audio device in the windows settings for Factorio manually to the correct device(not sure if related but windows always changes back to display "default" rather then the audio output i had set it to) as well as setting it in game to fix the audio.
No matter if i do this in the main menu or in a save, it always changes back to my TV on launching the game.
If I understand it correctly, your headset is set as the default device in Windows but no matter the Factorio settings, the audio is going out through the TV?
Can you post a log with Factorio's preferred device set to default and another log when it's set to your headset?

spacedestructor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by spacedestructor »

Donion wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:46 am
If I understand it correctly, your headset is set as the default device in Windows but no matter the Factorio settings, the audio is going out through the TV?
Can you post a log with Factorio's preferred device set to default and another log when it's set to your headset?
I would like to provide these logs but after posting it has had stopped, it might just have been a windows issue since in between posting and the issue no longer appearing i had updated my PC. I will come back with logs if the issue should appear again.

asher_sky
Inserter
Inserter

Post by asher_sky »

Donion wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:35 pm
With version 1.1.71, the SDL and its audio backend has been updated to a newer version.
Could you try out the new version and see if it helps?

Also, version 1.1.70 introduces preferred audio output device setting. You should be able to switch to a newly connected audio device while factorio is running.
Hi, sorry for the late reply but just want to say that it now works perfectly for me, using a MacBook Air M1 and apple air pods. The audio now transfers between computer and headphones when I put them on or take them off. Thank you so much!

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Donion »

I'm glad it's working for you. I consider this resolved then.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”