[Rseding] [1.1.36] Crash after turning on cache-prototype-data and disable-prototype-history...?

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Rseding] [1.1.36] Crash after turning on cache-prototype-data and disable-prototype-history...?

Post by kirazy »

So this has never happened before. Thought it was a mod combination but it persists with all mods disabled, so, uh, I honestly don't know what's happened. :D

I...:

- Turned on cache-prototype-data and disable-prototype-history in The Rest, as I've done many times before
- Restarted the game
- I am now crashing 100% of the time regardless of launch options or mod loadouts

Edit: Manually disabling those options resolves issue...

Edit 2: And turning them back on with all mods disabled returns to crashing...
factorio-current.log
(11.1 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

KeepResearchinSpoons
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [Rseding] [1.1.36] Crash after turning on cache-prototype-data and disable-prototype-history...?

Post by KeepResearchinSpoons »

same thing with `--disable-prototype-history` flag for the full gui client linux build.
I had to edit out this one from args for some of starter scripts by hand... reeeee :>
Can confirm this crashes with about the same tutorial thing and sigsev on the very start each and every time.
I have cache-protos disabled for those clients tho. It seems it starts faster on avg without one for vanilla.

With that said, good luck :>
A pity there is no starting flag for (connect + password) though. Or maybe I've missed it again.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Rseding] [1.1.36] Crash after turning on cache-prototype-data and disable-prototype-history...?

Post by Rseding91 »

Hmmm, I originally added the disable-prototype-history flag thinking it would be useful for development but it has shown to be more and more troublesome. It breaks so many things that at this point I want to just remove it.

The prototype data cache has functionally replaced it so I think it's fine to remove. Thoughts?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

I feel like removal of prototype history dramatically speeds up load time in a way that cache-prototype-data does not. Though I haven't done rigorous tests to determine the impact of either, and since it's crashing I can't.

Personally, when doing my own mod development where I am iterating on and testing images, I very much appreciate being able to load massive mod packs very quickly.

The only pain point (for me) with disable-prototype-history is that it also applies to the settings stage...

Edit: Did a quick test of caching at least, and that went from 1:30 to 0:12 to load AB+Misc. Then made a minute change in the prototype data to simulate a typical image-adjustment workflow and it purged and rebuilt the cache. So if I am just changing images, cache-prototype-data is very useful. But since I'm iterating and constantly restarting with very small changes to a single lua file in combination with image changes, cache-prototype-data provides zero benefit whereas disable-prototype-history provides substantial benefit in my experience.

Nihilistzsche
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nihilistzsche »

In my case, disable-prototype-history being set to true reduces load times from over 30 minutes to under 10. It would be immensely detrimental to my experience with the game if it was removed.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Ok, the other "fix" is that tutorials are completely disabled when using disable prototype history. As in the game treats them as not being defined at all. So, that's what I did. For the next release if the disable-prototype-history option is enabled tutorials are globally disabled.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Nihilistzsche
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nihilistzsche »

As I understand it disable-prototype-history to be a kind of advanced "use at your own risk" kind of option, I think this is a wonderful solution, thanks Rseding :)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”