Logistic Network

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Bastian
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Logistic Network

Post by Bastian »

Hello Builder,

i have question about the Logistic network. On my map i work with a Grid. A Robot hangar surounded by 4 electric poles. connected with green an red circuits.
The Robothangars shows me 2 Logistik networks. red and green that should be right. But at every robot hangar is only the content of the red circuit shown. And the amounts are much more then i really have.

What is my problem here?
Attachments
Factorio Logistic.jpg
Factorio Logistic.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 3708 times

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Logistic Network

Post by torne »

The roboport just outputs the contents of the entire logistics network to the circuit network: everything stored in any reachable red/yellow/purple/green chest. There is no distinction between the red and green wires here, just like every other building: the signal it's outputting is output onto *any* wire you connect, and the only difference between red and green wires is to keep two signals separate in your designs.

If your roboports are all touching each others' logistics areas such that they form a single logistics network then *every* roboport will output the contents of the entire network, not just the chests in their own area, and so connecting them all together on the same wire will mean you're multiplying the amount stored by the number of roboports in the network, which is why you're seeing such big numbers.

You only see the red signals because there's just so many signals it doesn't fit on the screen; there's nothing you can do about that. There will be the same set of green signals down below, just you can't see it.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Bastian wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:50 pm
What is my problem here?
I see two problems :
1) you should do some cropping, more than half your image is white nothingness
2) This should have been posted in Gameplay Help, but I can fix that :)
[Koub] Moved to Gameplay Help.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Bastian
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bastian »

Koub wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:00 pm
Bastian wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:50 pm
What is my problem here?
I see two problems :
1) you should do some cropping, more than half your image is white nothingness
2) This should have been posted in Gameplay Help, but I can fix that :)
[Koub] Moved to Gameplay Help.
Sorry for my mistakes and thank you for the Help :)

Bastian
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bastian »

torne wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:50 pm
The roboport just outputs the contents of the entire logistics network to the circuit network: everything stored in any reachable red/yellow/purple/green chest. There is no distinction between the red and green wires here, just like every other building: the signal it's outputting is output onto *any* wire you connect, and the only difference between red and green wires is to keep two signals separate in your designs.

If your roboports are all touching each others' logistics areas such that they form a single logistics network then *every* roboport will output the contents of the entire network, not just the chests in their own area, and so connecting them all together on the same wire will mean you're multiplying the amount stored by the number of roboports in the network, which is why you're seeing such big numbers.

You only see the red signals because there's just so many signals it doesn't fit on the screen; there's nothing you can do about that. There will be the same set of green signals down below, just you can't see it.
Ok, thank you for the help. If i will delete all red and green wires, i will also have all the Content in the logistic network? I think about it like Wireless Lan and Wired Lan :)

Every Robothangar has wireless contact to the next hangar. And also wired connections.
And if i have a condition where a robot arm start working if wood is less 300k in the wood warehouse, but the network shows me 90 million, the robot arm will never start working right?

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Bastian wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:09 pm
Ok, thank you for the help. If i will delete all red and green wires, i will also have all the Content in the logistic network? I think about it like Wireless Lan and Wired Lan :)
The circuit network and logistics network are entirely separate; roboports connect to each other wirelessly as long as they aren't too far apart (you can see the connections as dotted lines while you are building one). You only need to connect circuit wires to a roboport if you want to retrieve the information about how much is in the logistics network to use as input for a circuit, which isn't necessary at all to use the logistics network.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

As long as the machine in question is both able to take the wire (meaning, not an Assembly Machine of some sort) and within the Logistics Network range of a roboport, you can just connect wirelessly, to operate on the contents of the logistics network. An Inserter may be told only to put Red Belts into the AM3’s output box only if the network has less than 2000 belts, for example.

The only time I bother with connecting a wire to the roboport is when I want to use the Robot Statistics, rather than the Logistic Network contents, for the toggle to whether the Inserter operates or not. Basically, if I have less than X total Construction Bots, insert this construction bot into the port. If I have less than Y Logistics Bots in the network, insert this logibot into the port. That sort of thing.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

It seems you want to merge the information from the circuit network with the information from the logistic network, so you wire the roboports and think they act as bridge. However, this doesn't work well on a larger scale, because you will add numbers you don't intend to add.

You can see the logistic network as 3rd wire. Every item that can be connected to the circuit network has also the option to connect to a logistic network, if a roboport is in range. For example, as soon as you place a roboport near an inserter, you can connect the inserter to the logistic network (corresponding item on top right corner of property page). You don't need any wire in this case.

So instead of connecting everything to everything, thus creating a huge mess nobody is able to see through, create smaller networks that only contain the information required for some operation. For example, you might connect the abovementioned inserter to the logistic network and not to any wire, to enable/disable filling/emptying a requester or provider chest to manage the availability of items in the logistic network.

This 3rd wireless wire is really cool, because you don't need to fiddle any wire across your whole factory to bring information from the north west edge to the south east edge. Just place a few roboports to form one big logistic network and connect every device to its logistic network. No wire. This is a major benefit of the logistic network on a larger scale - not necessarily the bots themselves.

Bastian
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bastian »

Ok, thank you all, i have killed the green and red wires between the robot hangars. That worked well. Thank you.

Another Question, is there a easy way to increase my Warehouse stacks? In some cases i only have a stack of 10 and a lot of 40 stacks. thats is hard to play :)

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Bastian wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:22 pm
Another Question, is there a easy way to increase my Warehouse stacks? In some cases i only have a stack of 10 and a lot of 40 stacks. thats is hard to play :)
For each item, there is a maximum number that can be in a stack - the stack size.

I'm not sure what it is you are asking, but my best guess is that you mean you have many chests full of some items because they have a small stack size. If so, best to avoid creating so many in the first place; you should arrange for some of what you've already created to be used before you create any more. For example, connect inserters that remove the items from assembling machines to the logistic network and set a condition to enable them only when the number in the logistic network is less than a desired amount.

If you are asking if you can increase the stack size, that can only be changed by mods (or maybe console commands).

If you mean that you have more than one slot in a given chest of a particular item containing less than the stack size, that generally (only?) occurs with manual intervention and can only be fixed with manual intervention (manually sort, or get robots to move the items elsewhere by fast-replacing the chest with an active provider chest or requesting deconstruction).

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Bastian wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:22 pm
If you mean stacks of material in warehouses, I’m going to suggest something radical here… don’t use warehouses. Send materials straight to the train, or straight from the train to the consumer.

Unless you are planning a massive blueprint build (in which case it may be better to make a dedicated building train and factory supplying that train) the train station itself probably holds enough material. There are uses for any material that you happen to run across, even all those trees that your bots bring back because they were in the way. There is no reason to stockpile mass quantities of anything.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Stack sizes seem arbitrary, but you can see it as result of the size of the item in the real world. How big or bulky an item is. Small items have a large stack size, big/bulky items have a small stack size. If you should use a mod to increase stack sizes, be aware the vanilla stack sizes are a fundamental gameplay element and you fundamentally change your game.

Stack sizes don't always follow this idea due to practical gameplay feasibility, but in general they do. Modules, for example, don't have a direct counterpart in the real world, because they are an abstraction of all efforts required to increase productivity/speed/environmental footprint of a real world factory. Such efforts in the real world cannot probably be stacked in a container with 50 pieces per pallet.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

Tertius wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:20 pm
Stack sizes seem arbitrary, but you can see it as result of the size of the item in the real world. How big or bulky an item is. Small items have a large stack size, big/bulky items have a small stack size. If you should use a mod to increase stack sizes, be aware the vanilla stack sizes are a fundamental gameplay element and you fundamentally change your game.

Stack sizes don't always follow this idea due to practical gameplay feasibility, but in general they do. Modules, for example, don't have a direct counterpart in the real world, because they are an abstraction of all efforts required to increase productivity/speed/environmental footprint of a real world factory. Such efforts in the real world cannot probably be stacked in a container with 50 pieces per pallet.
A stack of 10 oil refineries is perfectly fine.

Return to “Gameplay Help”