Smart Train Loading with Single Requestor Chest

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
scfort
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Smart Train Loading with Single Requestor Chest

Post by scfort »

I'm seeking assistance in building a smart train loader using a requester chest. What's not included is the fact that I create filtered slots in the train to ensure it doesn't fill up with an excess of any one item. The problem is, the inserter gets stuck with an item in it's hand and never fills construction bots...or some other item. Bonus points if there's a solution that does not require me to set filters in the train car too.

Below is the blueprint for what I have so far. Thanks1!

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

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Smart Train Loading with Single Requestor Chest

Post by disentius »

This guy (memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=124538) made a miniseries about different methods for count perfect loading.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFB8rn2 ... ObizXMXBPo

I use a slightly modified version of this for my supply trains.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

I would suggest taking the very slow approach of using Stack Size 1 for the loading Filter Inserter. This way, it loads exactly the number desired, and is not trying to put 3 more of an item into a slot that can only hold 2.

IMO if loading multiple items into a train, its better to use multiple Requestor Chests, one per item. While making the system static (the station will only ever load a certain number of a certain set of items) it does have the value of loading faster, because it does not matter of the Stack Inserter is left holding 2 ot 9 items in hand, it cannot go and pickup a different item.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

astroshak wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:21 pm
I would suggest taking the very slow approach of using Stack Size 1 for the loading Filter Inserter. This way, it loads exactly the number desired, and is not trying to put 3 more of an item into a slot that can only hold 2.
A better trade-off is to possibly load too many, but remove excess one item at a time, although I've never convinced myself there's no risk of this getting stuck (it depends on the way slots are filled and emptied).
astroshak wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:21 pm
IMO if loading multiple items into a train, its better to use multiple Requestor Chests, one per item.
Yeah, I like this approach: simple, fast and absolutely reliable. One thing that may not be immediately obvious is that the requirement isn't one chest/inserter per item type, it is one item type per chest/inserter, so you can use multiple for items that you want to load many of. Also, while you can use stack inserters for up to 12 different item types, you can also replace some (or all) of them with pairs of long-handed inserters so the concept works for up to 24 different item types per wagon, albeit with the slower loading rate of long-handed inserters.

As you noted though it is "static", needing tedious/error-prone setup of both the requester chests and wagon filters (but you can copy & paste or blueprint). It is also limited to full stacks unless you add some circuit network control.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

There's some kludging to use your combinators and not bother with bots for supply, the payload is everything close to the engine. This works since the "anything" signal became a useful output signal, I forget when.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

I wonder if there's a nice way to figure out what item an inserter is gonna grab, that way you could calculate the stack size and feed it as an appropriate signal...

I specifically wanted fast loading (stack inserters needed) and single chest (can't have the wrong stack size) but it is indeed hard to do. What I came up with was to load less items than the item max stack, by just controlling the input item quantities via a signal (which I was doing anyway), but this is unwieldy if you need high capacity or want very few quantities of some items.

One reason I wasn't ok with multiple chests is that it's not trivial to automatically split a set of item signals to multiple requester chests.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

@ Meowmi:

Turn it upside down:) Determine max stacksize and filter the items which have the same count or higher.

Count perfect one chest solution:

2021-08-11 00_05_28-Window.png
2021-08-11 00_05_28-Window.png (541.49 KiB) Viewed 2257 times

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

Six chest version:

2021-08-11 00_18_17-Window.png
2021-08-11 00_18_17-Window.png (523.5 KiB) Viewed 2253 times

Return to “Gameplay Help”