How to activate the inserters under certain conditions

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Binoculars
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

How to activate the inserters under certain conditions

Post by Binoculars »

Hello factorian friends,

I would like my arms to pick up a number of items when the conveyor is full. Is there a simpler way than this creation ?

In this one, it is an R-S rocker which is used. I can't get what I wanted, which is a creation that is easier to configure in other cases.

It amazes me not to find the solution because the majority of my creations are much more complex than that.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How to activate the inserters under certain conditions

Post by DaveMcW »

Inserters pulling from a belt is a difficult case. You need to keep the enable signal on for 30 ticks or so while they pick up 12 items. So a R/S latch is probably the simplest you can get.

There are some things you could do to make it easier to configure:
  • Don't use the circuit network to set stack size, it is not needed.
  • Pick a neutral signal like "S" to use as the enable condition.
  • Put the min and max in a constant combinator.

Binoculars
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Binoculars »

Thanks for this feedback DaveMcW.

Indeed, the arithmetic combiner is not useful. I had set it up to more easily configure the number of articles taken by the inserter.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

There's a two-combinator R-S latch for tractable situations like this.

Binoculars
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Binoculars »

quyxkh wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:13 am
Thank you for sharing. However in this creation, the first chest is filled a little more, the second a little less and from the third, all the chests are filled equally.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Binoculars wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:33 am
quyxkh wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:13 am
Thank you for sharing. However in this creation, the first chest is filled a little more, the second a little less and from the third, all the chests are filled equally.
Well, you've got 52 chests, 52 inserters, 52×12 is 624 and you're enabling the inserters when 620 more have passed the entry counter than been picked up. That seemed a little fishy to me, so I tried upping it to > 630 and the glitch went away. This latch responds faster.

Binoculars
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Binoculars »

[/quote]
Well, you've got 52 chests, 52 inserters, 52×12 is 624 and you're enabling the inserters when 620 more have passed the entry counter than been picked up. That seemed a little fishy to me, so I tried upping it to > 630 and the glitch went away. This latch responds faster.
[/quote]

Effectively, it seems more stable like this. There is still a lag, however, with the penultimate chest taking up one less item every now and then.

I thought creating this would be a simple routine, it isn't.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

It's down to tuning the enable timing, I thought you'd already know the drill from having had to go through it before, to set up the constants on your own bp, but I'm guessing you got the bad kind of lucky. You want to enable and disable as late as possible.

Binoculars
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Binoculars »

quyxkh wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:40 pm
It's down to tuning the enable timing, I thought you'd already know the drill from having had to go through it before, to set up the constants on your own bp, but I'm guessing you got the bad kind of lucky. You want to enable and disable as late as possible.
It is doubt related to that. This is the last part of my project, that all the arms take the same number of articles at the same time. I already know how to manage the outputs, see this creation: viewtopic.php?f=193&t=99128
I'll try to find another way.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Binoculars wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:45 pm
that all the arms take the same number of articles at the same time
Okay. A little staring showed the problem being item chasing across lanes confusing the inserter pickups to where they lose time, so the actual pickups got smeared out as the gaps changed and the overlap between pickup exit and belt supply entrance got complicated, there wasn't a predictable threshold. Making the pickup choice simple enough for the inserters' tiny minds cleard that right up.

Binoculars
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Binoculars »

Quyxkh, really good work. I had thought about doing this for a while, but I didn't want to cut into the compactness of the creation (since I always play without any tags). Initially, I wanted to incorporate this idea into a steel production. I will try to start from this idea, but without the coffers. Thank you anyway.

Binoculars
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Binoculars »

It would seem that this is stable with only one conveyor.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

So that count does hit a threshold where the plate positions and enable timing sync up right, and I just gave up too soon.

But both setups get out of sync with any supply interruption at all, to make it reliable I think you'd have to put a leadin 78-belt block and some circuitry to let them through 624 at a time and only when they're all nicely compressed.

Binoculars
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Binoculars »

I'm just wondering how to adapt this creation with fewer or more inserter. Let's say I only have 8 inserters, what calculations have been made to adapt the synchronization?

Return to “Gameplay Help”