Trying to figure out Train Signals

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
sponge14
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Trying to figure out Train Signals

Post by sponge14 »

I am trying to figure out signals. I have read the Wiki, and in game help but I am just not getting this, what I believe to be simple, intersection to work. The blue arrows are the directions trains run. Basically, a train can run both ways on all 3 tracks, but there is only 1 train on each track. Can someone draw or explain to me which signals I need to put where, in order to get this to work?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (691.26 KiB) Viewed 2513 times

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Trying to figure out Train Signals

Post by astroshak »

First things first … trains read signals on the Right side of the track ONLY. Signals on the left side of the track are basically STOP signs (actually, they’ll make trains avoid the entire track) unless there is a signal for them directly opposite that left side signal.

You drew arrows indicating that all the tracks are TWO-WAY. This is awesome for single train tracks. It is absolutely horrible for multiple train tracks. I’d recommend transitioning to a two-track system instead as soon as you get the basics down.

Top left/right track :
Going left to right, on the RIGHT side of the track (which would be directly beneath it), put a Chain Signal before the crossing track, and a Rail Signal after. Repeat the process going right to left on that track, putting the Chain Signal directly opposite the Rail Signal (which would be directly above the track), and putting the Rail Signal directly opposite the Chain Signal.

Repeat this process for the bottom of the two left/right tracks.

For the up/down track :
Starting at the top, put a Chain Signal before the first crossing track. Put a second Chain Signal between the two crossing tracks. Put a Rail Signal after the bottom crossing track. All three of those signals are on the right side of the track from the train’s perspective, meaning the left side of the track as you look at it in game. Repeat the process going up from the bottom - all three signals placed now will be on the right side of the track, and must be placed directly opposite the three placed on the left side of the track.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

I hope this helps you.
Make sure that the signals on both sides of the track are lined up.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (1.14 MiB) Viewed 2486 times

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

You're having two tracks east-west. So why do you want both of them to be two way? Usually when you do that you have one track for each direction. Makes signaling far easier.

Also for two-track lanes: instead of putting them right next to each other leave some space in the middle and place the power poles there. That also makes signaling larger intersection easier since you actually have room for signals between the tracks

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

JimBarracus wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:46 am
I hope this helps you.
Make sure that the signals on both sides of the track are lined up.
There should be a pair of chain signals between the two crossings, which is the only difference between your picture and what astroshak described. This creates separate blocks for the north and south crossings and means east-west trains will be able to cross at the same time, rather than forcing one to wait for the other.

I think astroshak's suggestion is perfect if there is a single train on each line, there are no other nearby crosses, and there are either no signals or rail (normal) signals preceding the six chain signals outside the crossings. If any of these are not the case, a different solution may be needed, or at least preferable. For example, if there is more than one train on one (or both) of the east-west lines, passing points and related signaling changes are needed to ensure both the time those trains block the north-south line is minimised and deadlocks are avoided - but it's almost certainly better to go for twin track at that point.

sponge14
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sponge14 »

There is no way in hell I would have ever figured that out on my own. Thank you so much for the easy to understand and detailed reply!

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Just remember the simple guideline :
Chain Signal before any crossing, and Rail Signal after all the crossings in the rail junction.

This applies to each and every direction that a train can travel through the junction in. In your case, that was :
Top to Bottom,
Bottom to Top,
Upper Left to Upper Right,
Upper Right to Upper Left,
Lower Left to Lower Right,
Lower Right to Lower Left.

Basically, every blue arrow that you drew indicating a train’s direction through the junction, you had to go applying that simple guideline above. You were already part of the way there with what you drew on that screenshot!

The north/south line deserves particular attention though, in that it is not crossing one other line, it is crossing two other lines. That means that after crossing the first line, the train is not done with the junction. Thus, the next Chain Signal between the two east/west rails.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

sponge14 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:50 pm
There is no way in hell I would have ever figured that out on my own. Thank you so much for the easy to understand and detailed reply!
astroshak wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:54 pm
Just remember the simple guideline :
Chain Signal before any crossing, and Rail Signal after all the crossings in the rail junction.
Factorio Train Automation tutorial (Parts 1-3) expands on this. Although now quite old, it is still applicable and remains the best written explanation I've seen (in my opinion).

sponge14
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sponge14 »

Factorio Train Automation tutorial (Parts 1-3) expands on this. Although now quite old, it is still applicable and remains the best written explanation I've seen (in my opinion).
[/quote]

Thanks, I have that bookmarked and will be reading through that.

Return to “Gameplay Help”