How much assembling machine 3 for 45/s rocket fuel

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
ks13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How much assembling machine 3 for 45/s rocket fuel

Post by ks13 »

As the title says. I've hit a bottleneck in producing rockets so i want to plan out a production line to rocket fuel. The problem i'm having is calculating the amount of AM3s needed to produce the rocket fuel for a full blue belt. Usually i use the tool at https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/ but the amounts displayed there don't match up with my calculations. Let me explain :
- Ignore the input needed, not important in the context
- The recipe says at crafting speed of 1, 30 seconds are needed to craft 1 rocket fuel
- Logically, you would need 30 machines crafting at crafting speed of 1 to produce 1 rocket fuel per second
- AM3 however has a crafting speed of 1.25 so we can simply do 30/1.25 to find out how many machines we need for 1 rocket fuel per second.
- That gives us 24. So far, the numbers are the same as the tool.
- Now to get to 45/s we multiply by 45. This gives us 1080. Same as the tool.
- But i want to see how much i need with speed modules, so the crafting speed changes.
- First add 4 speed module 3 to the AM3, which gives us a crafting speed of 3.75. This gives us 8 machines for 1/s and 360 for 45/s. Same as the tool.
- Then add 12 beacons with same speed module. This gives a crafting speed of 11.25. When i calculate, this gives me 2.6 machines for 1/s and 120 for 45/s.
- This is where the tool differs. It says 4 for 1/s and 180 machines for 45/s.

I am not sure what is happening here. Is there some kind of speed limit to AM3s crafting speed? Is the tool wrong? Am i in the wrong? What actually is happening here?

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: How much assembling machine 3 for 45/s rocket fuel

Post by boskid »

12 beacons will need 24 speed modules3 in them, you enter "24*SM3" in that calculator and it correctly tells you that you need 120 assemblers. Its basically a first question in the FAQ page.

ks13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: How much assembling machine 3 for 45/s rocket fuel

Post by ks13 »

boskid wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:02 pm
12 beacons will need 24 speed modules3 in them, you enter "24*SM3" in that calculator and it correctly tells you that you need 120 assemblers. Its basically a first question in the FAQ page.
Ok, i admit i didn't even see the FAQ tab. Thanks for the quick explanation.

Return to “Gameplay Help”