Merging 1 into n belts?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
JackGruff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Merging 1 into n belts?

Post by JackGruff »

I'm looking for a pattern to reliably merge the contents of one belt to many others. The order and balance of items doesn't need to be preserved, it's just that if there is space anywhere in the n destination belts, then the in-belt can be merged.

Example of what I mean:
example.png
example.png (1012.03 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
Edit: I wonder if a way would be to use priority splitters to keep any free space on the incoming side, like this:
b.PNG
b.PNG (249.59 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
In theory, it should only have to be done once before every merge, and loading kept to one side unless I use n - 1 splitters to shift the free space to the other side.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Merging 1 into n belts?

Post by jodokus31 »

Maybe this also helps:
viewtopic.php?p=545420#p545420
Is a bit over the top, maybe

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

Lane balance the belt coming in, then use a splitter tree to produce at least N belts from your new input, and send each one to each of the belts you want to merge into. Use a splitter to merge each new belt into the corresponding old belt, and prioritize the old belt as input over the new input.

JackGruff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JackGruff »

Well, using priority splitters to make sure there's free space seems to be working great. You want to put them in before every merge.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 2991 times

Durr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Durr »

I always pull products from the right side of the bus and add new items to the left side, and use priority splitters to slide everything to the farthest right lane before I add or pull items. This makes it so that the lane being pulled from is always full and there is always room to add new items unless the belt is fully backed up.
I'm sure all those splitters are bad for UPS, but I'll worry about that when/if I ever build a base big enough for UPS to be an issue.
Tired of manually backing up your saves? Check this out! -> Factorio Backup

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

JackGruff wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:39 am
Well, using priority splitters to make sure there's free space seems to be working great. You want to put them in before every merge.

Capture.PNG
Try this with the right two belts of the copper ore fully compressed and the left two empty.

JackGruff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JackGruff »

Zanthra wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:26 pm
Try this with the right two belts of the copper ore fully compressed and the left two empty.
Yes, I realise that my arrangement of splitters did not make sense, the ore just competes with ore from the other splitters. I decided to invert the pattern and it's working really well. For example, to merge one belt from the left in to 3 belts:

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (911.46 KiB) Viewed 2523 times

Binoculars
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Binoculars »

Hi,

I had made some time ago a bus book containing junctions. If that can help.
viewtopic.php?f=202&t=94950

Return to “Gameplay Help”