Help with my train problem!

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Specious
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Help with my train problem!

Post by Specious »

Hi all,

I feel like I am generally good with trains, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what is wrong with my set up here.

I've attached a video to show the problem.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NsYuwN ... sp=sharing

Why does the train decide to take the lane that is occupied? Shouldn't this set up cause it to switch to the other lanes?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Help with my train problem!

Post by Loewchen »

This design just does not work, if you don't outright prevent two trains traveling in different directions to meet head to head at the same signal it will sooner or later lock up.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

Top and mid lane westbound rail signal where your character starts is allowing the train forward to the next signal without it having to reserve it’s exit. Should be a chain signal anyways as it is just before a significant branching decision, and you want it to be able to repath as close to the branch as possible.

Basically, the reason it chooses the occupied path is that it was not occupied when it chose it, and it has no reason to repath until it reaches a red signal (this will almost always be a chain signal if it can repath and thus will often show up as blue instead of red, but I tend to think in terms of what the train sees). The red signal it reaches is one that has no other unoccupied exits. The southbound train has all exits from the chain signal occupied, so no other path, the northbound train reaches it's first red signal head to head with the southbound train, and has no other path to choose at that point. That signal needs to be chained back to before the branch so that it has options when it reaches the red signal.

Specious
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Specious »

Zanthra wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 3:15 pm
Top and mid lane westbound rail signal where your character starts is allowing the train forward to the next signal without it having to reserve it’s exit. Should be a chain signal anyways as it is just before a significant branching decision, and you want it to be able to repath as close to the branch as possible.

Basically, the reason it chooses the occupied path is that it was not occupied when it chose it, and it has no reason to repath until it reaches a red signal (this will almost always be a chain signal if it can repath and thus will often show up as blue instead of red, but I tend to think in terms of what the train sees). The red signal it reaches is one that has no other unoccupied exits. The southbound train has all exits from the chain signal occupied, so no other path, the northbound train reaches it's first red signal head to head with the southbound train, and has no other path to choose at that point. That signal needs to be chained back to before the branch so that it has options when it reaches the red signal.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I've fixed the problem!

Return to “Gameplay Help”