Blueprints changed, but how?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Blueprints changed, but how?

Post by Trific »

I recently played a multiplayer game of a mod that changes the size of steel chests (40 instead of 48). Upon returning to my regular game, I find that all of my blueprints (none of which were used in the multiplayer game) have the steel chest capacity limited to 40. I tried experimenting to see how this happened, but I've not been able to figure out how this occurred, and I'd very much like to know how it happened, so I can keep it from happening again. Any clues?

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Blueprints changed, but how?

Post by Bauer »

If the limitation of the chest size was done by a mod, you might want to disable that mod.

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trific »

I don't believe it was the mod. It's a very popular overhaul mod (IR2), and if it was screwing with all blueprints whenever someone played it, people would be screaming and I would have found lots of references when searching. I have fixed some of my blueprints and then fired up IR2 in single player to test, and the blueprints were untouched (although I didn't play all the way through to unlocking steel chests because that's fairly deep in to IR2). The rest of the mods used in the MP IR2 game don't advertise any "modify all your blueprints!" functionality, but here's a list: Bottleneck, Clean Floor, Copy Paste Modules, Factorio Library, Module Inserter, Rewire Tool, Smooth Fluids, Splatter Guard, Where is MyBody.

This wholesale modifying of blueprints might actually be a feature if you wanted it to be, but there doesn't seem to be any obvious method to making this happen, so I am stumped. At least if I knew how it happened, I could undo it easily instead of having to edit every single damn blueprint.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Mods can not access the blueprint library. If I had to guess maybe you updated the base game after playing the mod? Something like this:
  1. Create blueprint
  2. Install mod
  3. Update vanilla -> vanilla updates all blueprints
  4. Uninstall mod
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trific »

1.1.32 was marked stable shortly before this event. I had updated to 1.1.32 (steam forced), and the event page also updated to say they would be running 1.1.32 instead of 1.1.31. So we were both on the same version. All of the blueprints were created before 1.1.32, but after 1.1.0.

I run fairly vanilla, entirely vanilla in play games, but I also have a test sandbox game that I use to design most of my big blueprints and systems (working on a fairly extensive train system right now), and the mods used in that are stuff like Assembly Analyst to test sustained throughput, etc. It has a number of testing areas in the game including a 900 spm base using my train system and which I use to test changes to the system.

The mod suite used for the event was all mods that I had to install as I don't use them normally. I did create a test game of IR2 before the event just to look at it and get the flavor of it to see if I would like it, but my blueprints were normal after that.

During the event, I came back to my test game once just to let it run for awhile. Sync'd mods and everything seemed fine. Went back to the event, played it until we launched the rocket and then for a bit afterwards. I clicked on one of my blueprints (a rail segment, has no chests in it), to hold it on the map and see how it compared for scale to the rail system we were using in the game. As this was my first multiplayer game, I noticed that my blueprints were darker (and used the icons from IR2), and that the blueprint I clicked required some time to import(?) into the game before it showed on my cursor.

When I came back to my test map (sync'ing of course, all of the mods in the event got evicted and my usual ones loaded), I set up some more mining patches so I could work without the interruption of the big base complaining about lack of ore. I played in couple hour stretches through the day, saving and quitting the game each time. The next day when I fired things up, I was checking around and noticed that the big base was reporting less ore in the system than I would have expected (the stations report on a central wire how many train loads of material they have available to be picked up), and when investigating I noticed that the new patches I had set up had stopped loading with less material than expected. Checking the chests showed that they had all been limited to 40/48 spots. Spot checking my blueprints (around 100 of them, some going all the way back to some old ones I keep for "don't do it this way" reminders) showed that the chests in all of them had been limited to 40/48 spots.

So, I have no clue how it happened. I have fixed the mining patch blueprints, and they have stayed fixed through all of my testing of mods from the event to see if they affected things. I am so far unable to replicate what happened to my blueprints.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Oddly enough I just noticed that at least two of my blueprints had all passive provider and requester chests (the bp didn't have any other kind of chest) limited to 40 slots (originally: providers had a limit of 4, and requesters had no limit). I can't say for sure what mods I've played in singleplayer since creating the bp because it's somewhat old. The only large mod I recently played in multiplayer was Space Exploration, but I often download random mods just to have a quick look at them. So if it was a mod (and not i.e. a broken vanilla migration) then it could've been "anything".
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

kevinma
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kevinma »

Same happen to me.

Return to “Gameplay Help”