Extreme modded mining drills, still hurting UPS

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Ormy
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Extreme modded mining drills, still hurting UPS

Post by Ormy »

Optera wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:40 am
Deep Quarry is hopelessly outdated by now.
I rewrote the entire thing for percentage based recipes with 0.15: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/DeepMine
Aha! Factorio modding community to the rescue once again!

I downloaded the DeepMine mod. Straight away I'm loving the random resource production, I'm quite looking forward to the challenge of dealing with the 'unwanted' resources so as not to cause a deadlock for the desired resource. Kind of like advanced oil refining except even more challenging as I can't just 'crack' one resource into another like you can with light/heavy oil.

I placed a few dozen deep-mine-2 machines and cranked up the 'crafting speed multiplier' to 4000, along with 4x speedmod 3s in each machine this gave around 4M (desired) ore per min from each machine which is as fast as I can extract it from each machine using my current modded inserters. However after placing a dozen of them I noticed UPS start to drop (Assembling machine time usage increasing approx 2ms per 10 machines, obviously the debug entity-time-usage display groups the deep miners with the assembling machines).

Disappointed I came here and started explaining the issue and the different things I had tried. I was just typing a sentence something like "if only I could use a Schall Recipe Scaling version of the deep mine recipes" when something in my mind prompted me to go and re-read more carefully the tooltips for this mod's startup settings. After a while I realised that increasing the 'ore amount' setting has a very similar affect on the recipes as Schall's Recipe Scaling mod has on other recipes. So I now have the 'ore amount' at 100, crafting speed multiplier at 700 (still fine tuning), still making approx 4M desired ore per min per machine, but now with no UPS cost.

PROBLEM SOLVED. I found an entity that can produce ores to the tune of 10^8 per minute with near zero UPS cost. Now I just need to make the electricity cost scale with production (Optera I've made a small request on the discussion page for your DeepMine mod).

For now I'm using infinite chests to dispose of unwanted/byproduct ores while I was testing but I will now get to work on dealing with them properly and not have to use any infinite chests anymore. Happy days!
Last edited by Ormy on Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Ormy wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:46 pm
crafting speed multiplier at 4000 as before
Dunno what the recipe duration there is, but as far as i know assemblers can only craft one recipe cycle per tick?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Ormy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ormy »

eradicator wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:29 pm
Dunno what the recipe duration there is, but as far as i know assemblers can only craft one recipe cycle per tick?
I edited that part of my post, turns out the 'ore amount' setting doesn't quite behave linearly as I'd expect. With it set to 1, recipe time is 7sec give or take, with it set to 100 recipe time is 126 seconds? Confusing but OK.

Yes usually the 'one craft per tick' thing applies but not always. See this discussion I had with Schallfalke. I'm still pretty confused by the whole concept tbh, I just try to make sure the production vs consumption statistics seem correct-ish.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Ormy wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:53 pm
I'm still pretty confused by the whole concept tbh
I've posted a bug report about that years ago but it was never changed. As far as i understand the precise behavior is not "one craft per tick" but "reduce progress by 100% if it was over 100% and then produce one recipe output". Thus for machines "faster than possible" both productivity and crafting progress can accumulate over time. For correct/predictable behavior with maximum output you need a machine that produces *exactly* 1 craft per tick (not 1.0001) and has *exactly* 100% productivity bonus.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Ormy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ormy »

eradicator wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:33 pm

I've posted a bug report about that years ago but it was never changed. As far as i understand the precise behavior is not "one craft per tick" but "reduce progress by 100% if it was over 100% and then produce one recipe output". Thus for machines "faster than possible" both productivity and crafting progress can accumulate over time. For correct/predictable behavior with maximum output you need a machine that produces *exactly* 1 craft per tick (not 1.0001) and has *exactly* 100% productivity bonus.
Thanks for the info. I don't really care if the deepmines are not behaving quite correctly with regards to this issue, they're essentially pulling ore from nowhere anyway so it doesn't matter. If they produce enough according to production statistics and don't eat UPS I'm happy.

For the assemblers/chemical plants/centrifuges I just make sure crafting speed divided by recipe duration is less than 60 but as close to 60 as possible and that makes sure I don't run into this bug or get recipe results for free. This is where Schall's Recipe Scaling comes in very handy, I'm using that with a scaling factor of 100.

Return to “Gameplay Help”