Train noob

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
samy01
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Train noob

Post by samy01 »

Now i've come a long way since i started playing about 1 week ago.
but i can't figure out train at all.

I can of course do very simple 2 locomotives single track train going to an iron strip and coming back but more than that i can't understand anything about signals at all.

The thing is trains are very important to the game but i've watched 3 or more videos including an 1.5 hour one about trains and when it comes to signals i just stop.
Am i that stupid when it comes to train signals?
Because other things aren't giving me that much trouble."maybe advanced oil processing but i'm giving it a second chance.".

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Train noob

Post by DaveMcW »

Train signals for dummies:
1. Only use one-way track. This requires twice as much track (one for each direction) but makes everything else much easier.
2. Put rail signals on the right-hand side of the track (from the train's perspective) spaced approximately 50 tiles apart.
3. In intersections, use chain signals instead of rail signals.

That's it!

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

Watching video may be not enough, you may need to explore things by yourself: start a separate god-mode game, build setups seen on video, modify them, test your own cases, crash trains, try different signals and so on.
Even if you understood the signals, you will need a practice to make that knowledge stronger. For example, I started to design large and complex crosses, just for fun. That was hard, that was very useful.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

You say you have trouble with the videos when they get to train signals, what about them causes you trouble?

Is it related to signal use in complex intersections? Chain signal use? Detailed mechanics of the signals?

The basic idea of the train signals is they divide the track up into sections which prevent trains in automatic from sharing with more than one train. Once a train gets to the point where it can no longer stop before reaching a signal, it has to either reserve that signal and all other signals into that block immediately or stop. This prevents more than one train from ever occupying the same block, and therefore prevents crashes.

Return to “Gameplay Help”