Old items recycle.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
samy01
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Old items recycle.

Post by samy01 »

So now that i have bots and can with the click of a bottom to upgrade entire sections of my factory "provided that i can afford it or the power spike of the bots" what should i do with old item?
Like older belts and power poles?
Can we recycle these items without disturbing the production chain?
Can i force the old replaced yellow belts to be fed into red belt production before the red belt factory takes from the yellow factory.

Sorry English Isn't my first language.
Also damn these bots are super useful.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Old items recycle.

Post by jodokus31 »

Old classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSfVqIkVEnI

Look at min. 12:30

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

samy01 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:54 am
So now that i have bots and can with the click of a bottom to upgrade entire sections of my factory "provided that i can afford it or the power spike of the bots" what should i do with old item?
It makes sense to "recycle" lower tier items into higher tier ones. Transport belt parts and ammunition are the obvious examples of this in vanilla.
jodokus31 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:10 am
Old classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSfVqIkVEnI

Look at min. 12:30
Using the circuit network to enabling the inserter placing items into the chest only when there are few present is crucial. However, a storage chest filtered to the item can be used instead of a requester chest. This works in a similar way but can be done as soon as you have construction bots, usually long before Logistic system research required for requester chests. Note that to ensure all of that item goes to the that chest so it can be "recycled", you must not have any other storage chests containing the item.

Some items aren't worth replacing even if you have something "better" available, eg small electric poles. There are some that you'll typically end up with but can't be used to make something else, such as steel furnaces. There are some that can be used to make something else, but you probably won't need to, such as stone furnaces. For excess items that you can't use, the usual answer is to put them in a chest and shoot the chest to destroy it.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Recycle those things that can be recycled back into the production chains (old belts are a prime example of this, why re-make a yellow belt when you have potentially thousands lying around just waiting for use in a red belt?) and just hold on to things that you can’t, such as small power poles or stone furnaces.

Why not destroy them? Why destroy them? They may come in handy at some point. You may want to keep the old fossiI fuel power plant around to burn wood, and you may want an extra boiler or two around for Coal Liquifaction. Destroying the early stuff may not be a bad idea, but it may not be the best idea either. WSte not, want not, after all.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

SoShootMe wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:20 pm
...However, a storage chest filtered to the item can be used instead of a requester chest. This works in a similar way but can be done as soon as you have construction bots, usually long before Logistic system research required for requester chests. Note that to ensure all of that item goes to the that chest so it can be "recycled", you must not have any other storage chests containing the item.
Good point. That wasn't a thing in the times of the video, which is like 4 years old :)

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

In your production area use either buffer chests or filtered storage chests (available earlier without yellow science) as output. Then control the output inserter with a circuit wire connected to that chest. So for yellow belts for example set the inserter to only work when "yellow belt < 800". If you deconstruct belts the bots will return them into the chest. Either because the chests requests the items (if you use buffer chests) or because filtered storage chests have a higher priority. And the assembler will only produce more belts if the ones in the chest fall bellow 800.

That KoS video is correct in principle, but it's quite old. Neither buffer chests nor storage chest filters were available then. They were only introduced in 0.16.X at the end of 2017. Meaning you couldn't have a single chest receiving and providing at the same time, which complicated things a great deal.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Serenity wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:06 pm
If you deconstruct belts the bots will return them into the chest. Either because the chests requests the items (if you use buffer chests) or because filtered storage chests have a higher priority.
I thought filtered storage chests would have priority but that is not how the Priorities of robots are described in the Wiki. Though the text there is not quite a full description; I think "first built" is used where necessary to choose between multiple chests with space, first considering the chests already containing the item (whether or not filtered), then considering those filtered for the item, and finally all other chests. Hence:
SoShootMe wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:20 pm
Note that to ensure all of that item goes to the that chest so it can be "recycled", you must not have any other storage chests containing the item.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

SoShootMe wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:53 pm
you must not have any other storage chests containing the item.
Oh damn, I forgot about that :/

Usually it's not an issue though. In practice I only have things in unfiltered chests that isn't handled in other ways. Unless you have random storage chests all over the place for no reason you can make sure that they are empty of items that are recycled when you set up the system for the first time.
If you want to have a fool proof system you can always use buffer chests, but that requires yellow science.

Return to “Gameplay Help”