What map settings disable achievements?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Latakia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

What map settings disable achievements?

Post by Latakia »

The Factorio wiki states:
Within the freeplay game, enabling peaceful mode or setting enemy bases to anything lower than default disables the following achievements: There is no spoon, No time for chit-chat, Raining bullets and Steam all the way. Any other changes to map generation or using the debug modes does not disable achievements.
On the Enemy tab, there are the following settings (I am not asking about the first two.):

Enemy bases - it's clear this must be left alone (the default setting).
Peaceful mode - it's clear this must be left alone (off).
Starting area size - no question here
Enemy expansion - Can I disable enemy expansion altogether or modify these settings?
Evolution - Can I disable or change evolution settings?

A plain reading of the wiki entry seems to suggest that expansion and evolution can be modified, and I've seen at least one Steam guide suggest these two can be de-selected, so why do I ask? Nefrums, a record-setting Factorio player, says in his guide that only the starting area should be changed on the enemy tab. Usually I would trust the official wiki, but Nefrum's advice seems to make the most sense because turning off expansion and evolution has about the same effect as peaceful mode, except the biters will give me dirty looks while I remove their home to get at some resources.

I did an experiment where I disabled expansion and evolution, set starting area to 600%, set diffusion (on advanced tab) to 0%, and when the game started, the spoon achievement was not covered in red, I could start tracking it, so apparently I could play on those settings win the achievement, and I'm 99.99% certain that Nefrum's guide is inaccurate on this, but I don't want to play 8 hours to be 100% certain.

Follow-up question, because I'm sure most of the answers will be "duh, you answered your own question"

What is the effective difference between peaceful mode and turning off expansion and evolution? (As it relates to the gameplay leading up to launching the first rocket.)

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: What map settings disable achievements?

Post by jodokus31 »

I cannot answer the exact questions, but checkout 100% speedrun map exchange strings. They get 100% of all achievements in a single run.
https://www.speedrun.com/factorio#100

f.e. from rain's run

Code: Select all

>>>eNpjZGBkkGQAgtWrtOxBNAdLcn5iDgNDgwMDwwEw5krOLyhILdLN
L0qFCYEwZ3JRaUqqbn5mDrIoV2peam6lblJiMVBxgz0Mc2QW5eehm8B
aXJKflwqxCmIda0lRamox1ClgjdylRYl5maW5CL1QhzFalEaKNrTIMY
Dw/3oGhf//QRjIegDUC8IMjA0QlUAxGGBNzslMS2NgUHAEYiewIkZGm
CSUoecAZXywhzAOJMFEPGEMPwecUiowhgmSOcZg8BmJUS2yzv1hVQnQ
CqgqDgcEAyLZApZk7H27dcH3YxfsGP+s/HjJNynBntHQVeTdB6N1dkB
JdpC7meDErJkgsNMe5ieYmQ/soVI37RnPngGBN/aMrCAdIiDCwQJIHP
BmZmAU4AOyFvQACQUZeIjYwYwRcWBMA4NvMJ88hjEu26P7AxgQNiDD5
UDECRDBighkoMugAe/Q78DoIA+TlUQoAeo3YkB2QwrChydh1h5Gsh/N
IZgRgewPNBEVByzRwAWyMAVOvGCGuwYYnhfYYTyH+Q6MzCAGSNUXoBi
EB5KBGQWhBRwYmBkQ4IM9w+sdJY4A7TSg0A==<<<

Latakia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Latakia »

jodokus31 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:58 am
checkout 100% speedrun map exchange strings.
The record holder for 100% speed run, Nefrums, seems to say in his guide that you cannot mess with expansion and evolution. That's why I'm doubting the wiki.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Latakia wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:45 pm
the spoon achievement was not covered in red
If it's not disabled then it's not disabled. Quite tautological. Stuff changes. Internet info may be outdated or wrong in the first place. Trust your own eyes. (Also the whole "this disables that" system isn't really made for balance, it just plugs the most obvious holes.)
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Gameplay Help”