Why "No Path"?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Why "No Path"?

Post by blazespinnaker »

Train gurus, I'm stumped on this one. My trains are reporting no path when there is a train ahead of them in the next stop on the route (instead of destination full). When the train ahead leaves its goal, the incoming train repaths and is able to make it into the stop. Everything works as it should, just the throughput is impaired.

Here's a pic:
trains.png
trains.png (229.68 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
Here's the route
Screenshot 2021-02-11 205238.png
Screenshot 2021-02-11 205238.png (59.52 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
Here's map mode with the train station names:
Screenshot 2021-02-11 205401.png
Screenshot 2021-02-11 205401.png (12.62 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

bormand
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Why "No Path"?

Post by bormand »

Do you have another station with the same name? Looks like they see that station and want to go there, but there are no path.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

That's a very cool guess and I didn't think to look for it, but I did now and they're all pathable.

edit: That said, perhaps the pathing engine can't figure out a path that requires switching to the reverse engine.
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

blazespinnaker wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:26 am
That's a very cool guess and I didn't think to look for it, but I did now and they're all pathable.

edit: That said, perhaps the pathing engine can't figure out a path that requires switching to the reverse engine.
Double-ended trains will only switch direction at stations, not at signals, not midway through a route. You can switch to manual and then choose the right station and it will change direction.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

I guess, Train in the station which passed the "Iron,P,Train" wants to find a route to the station "iron". Becouse of one way system of traffic lights it cant, then it says no path. Also as post above say, train can change direction in station only. When other train leaves "Iron,P" it makes it available, re-add it to the schedule then our blocked train proceed.

You could confirm my iidea by creating a full three way T junction (from any leg to any leg) in the middle. You will see where trains start to go.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

Do you have any circuit logic connected to the station, and if so can you show a screenshot of the station configuration?

I am thinking that if there are trains limits being set that all the stations it can path to may be reserved by other trains before it gets to the holding station.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

That’s a “Destination Full” message, not a “No Path” message.

“No Path” usually means there is either a piece of rail missing somehow, or signals are not placed properly, and there is no route that the train can use to move forward to any train stop of the desired name.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

astroshak wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:48 pm
That’s a “Destination Full” message, not a “No Path” message.

“No Path” usually means there is either a piece of rail missing somehow, or signals are not placed properly, and there is no route that the train can use to move forward to any train stop of the desired name.
The pathfinder only reports "Destination Full" if it searches all valid paths, and finds all the stations with the name of the next stop are full. In this case, I am pretty sure that because the rails it sits on are one way, it's only valid path is to only one of the stations, and it is full, but the pathfinder does not see all the other stations of that name, so it reports "No Path".

Return to “Gameplay Help”