Number of rail blocks needed for train to reach top speed?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
JayS
Inserter
Inserter

Number of rail blocks needed for train to reach top speed?

Post by JayS »

So I have read the speed equations on the wiki and checked out this calculator: https://calculatorio.com/train_acceleration/, but still have this question and am unsure how to calculate it:

What is the number of rail blocks needed for a 1-4 train to reach its top speed with the different types of fuel? I am wondering this so that I can give the trains sufficient room to accelerate after they leave pickup / dropoff locations. I hope someone else has already figured this out.
Don't look now, but there is a spider behind you.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Number of rail blocks needed for train to reach top speed?

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to Gameplay Help.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Number of rail blocks needed for train to reach top speed?

Post by SoShootMe »

JayS wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:48 am
What is the number of rail blocks needed for a 1-4 train to reach its top speed with the different types of fuel? I am wondering this so that I can give the trains sufficient room to accelerate after they leave pickup / dropoff locations.
Acceleration reduces with speed, and higher speed means you travel further each second you are accelerating. This means you need to allow MUCH more distance for each km/h closer to top speed; a double whammy of diminishing returns.

I haven't measured but I would say that for wood, coal or solid fuel, the total distance to reach top speed is so great the idea doesn't make sense, and for rocket or nuclear fuel it's small enough to generally not be worth worrying about. For example, a nuclear fueled 1-4 train will be going reasonably fast after a few train lengths, and I think any more than that is going to make a negligible difference.

Return to “Gameplay Help”