Flush container contents w/ circuit network?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Encrypted Silhouette
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Flush container contents w/ circuit network?

Post by Encrypted Silhouette »

Hello, is it possible to flush a fluid tank using the circuit network, Ex: If contents exceed 24k, then flush contents.
I want to set a system up so that I can prevent fluids from backing up and stopping the production of others. I know there are probably other solutions, and I'm open to suggestions, but beware I'm a mega noob.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Flush container contents w/ circuit network?

Post by DaveMcW »

No, it is not possible to automate destroying the contents of a storage tank. You need to attach each storage tank to a chemical plant that will transform its contents into something else.

The main recipes are:
Heavy oil -> Light oil
Light oil -> Petroleum gas
Petroleum gas -> Solid fuel
You need 10,000 solid fuel to beat the game, so you should stockpile it instead of trying to destroy it. But if you really need to, you can design a useless burner contraption to get rid of solid fuel.

To control this with the circuit network, put a pump in the pipeline leading to the chemical plant. Connect the pump to the storage tank with a red wire. Then click the pump to set the condition for it to turn on.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

DaveMcW wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:05 am
Solid fuel -> Useless burner inserter contraption
If you are still using stoner/steel furnaces, you can use a priority splitter to feed them on solid fuel. And/or you can feed solid fuel to boilers and use it for electricity. (Even if you are on solar power, the generators will still work overnight).

Personally I circuit control cracking. (Heavy oil -> light oil if the heavy tank is over 20k, light oil to petrol if the light oil tank is over 20k). Mostly even if petrol backs up, that isn't a problem provided there is still heavy and light oil left in the tanks. (If science is running, that typically uses enough petrol that the heavy and light tanks stay over 10k. Mostly I don't need to turn excess petrol into solid fuel).

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Yeah, there are very few instances where a petroleum backup causes issues. Maybe if you need lots of lubricant for express belts, but aren't doing science.

Otherwise just have one or two tanks for each product and then control pumps based on the content. Outside of mods there is really little reason to just burn off things as solid fuel. The closest is rocket fuel production, which I like to keep self contained. I produce some SF from petroleum, which isn't efficient but ensures that everything is used up.

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

If you want to use a pipeline subsequently for different fluids, you want to flush them first. The only thing I can think of is using a
line->pump->tank->pump->(same)line
setup. The first pump is circuit controlled to flush before any other liquids enter the line.
The second pump reinserts the fluid with priority the next time this fluid is in the line. This pump should be controlled such that the tank never gets empty and that it has priority over other sources.
Last edited by Bauer on Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Bauer wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:06 am
If you want to use a pipeline for subsequently for different fluids, you want to flush them first. The only thing I can think of is using a
setup. The first pump is circuit controlled to flush before any other liquids enter the line.
The second pump reinserts the fluid with priority the next time this fluid is in the line. This pump should be controlled such that the tank never gets empty and that it has priority over other sources.
Don't. Just don't. It just isn't worth the hassle. It is easier and simpler to just build a couple of dedicated pipelines.

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

Zavian wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:34 am
Bauer wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:06 am
If you want to use a pipeline subsequently for different fluids, you want to flush them first. The only thing I can think of is using a
Don't. Just don't. It just isn't worth the hassle. It is easier and simpler to just build a couple of dedicated pipelines.
True. But can you tell me why Encrypted Silhouette would want to automate flushing of fluids otherwise?
(Yes, I've seen the situation that there wasn't enough lubricant for 500k blue belts, but I have a hard time thinking that there is someone out there in need of 500k blue belts and not knowing that you can burn solid state fuel.)

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Bauer wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:55 am
True. But can you tell me why Encrypted Silhouette would want to automate flushing of fluids otherwise?
Re-read the OP. My guess is that light and/or heavy keeps backing up and shutting down his refineries.

But even if he did want to share a pipeline between multiple fluids, he describes himself as a Noob, so my advice is still "It's not worth the hassle".

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

Zavian wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:16 pm
But even if he did want to share a pipeline between multiple fluids, he describes himself as a Noob, so my advice is still "It's not worth the hassle".
It's for sure not worth the hassle.
Except if the contraption is about that hassle.
;)

Return to “Gameplay Help”