Train station with same name question

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
LoneWolf_LWP
Inserter
Inserter

Train station with same name question

Post by LoneWolf_LWP »

Could not find this answer on the wiki and using google.

Does the train choose from a set list order of stations with the same name or is it randomized?
Because if its not it is no use in setting up a big train network if only the first station in the list will be serverd 100% and the last one maybe down to 0%

Thanks for your time.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Train station with same name question

Post by boskid »

If you have multiple trains stops with the same station name, all of those train stops will be considered as valid target for a train and the pathfinder will be able to path to any of those train stops. Pathfinder will choose one of the train stops to which path from current train position has lowest penalty.

LoneWolf_LWP
Inserter
Inserter

Post by LoneWolf_LWP »

so if i understand correctly

a station that is in reach that always has the lowest penalty due to its location it will be considerd 100% the target?

hmm, may need to consider a logistic setup then.

ty

bormand
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bormand »

It chooses nearest one with accounting for penalties from signals, another trains etc.

https://wiki.factorio.com/Railway/Train_path_finding

But you have a bit of control. I.e. you can set train limit for a station (well, in 1.1+ only). Or you can use circuit-controlled chain signals to increase penalty to achieve balance between stations (like Kano96 does in his ETS). Or you can just disable a station and live with consequences.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

You can deactivate station by logic condition.
You can for example connect several chests and read the content. Once the chests ar full enough you can activate the station.
You can also limit the amount of trains approaching a station.

LoneWolf_LWP
Inserter
Inserter

Post by LoneWolf_LWP »

JimBarracus wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:10 pm
You can deactivate station by logic condition.
You can for example connect several chests and read the content. Once the chests ar full enough you can activate the station.
yep thats what i'm trying now, however not on chest conditions. some have stackers (high limit conditions) that need to stay filled (high demand). others don't (low demand) and here the problem actually started. due to the stacker getting used. then new trains would enter the stacker and ignoring other (further away) stations. so from i had to go from 60 trains (that should be able to cover that suply chain to atm 96 and overproducing other materials to keep the extra trains running.

and thats where i felt there was a problem. so logic it became with all the frustration to get a simple on paper logic condition translated to conbinators :p but that another story.
JimBarracus wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:10 pm
You can also limit the amount of trains approaching a station.
This is not creating an equal distribution. after testing with limits (wich are nice, dont get me wrong) i still need to flood the system with trains to have enough trains running to get the worst location (biggest penalty) getting a train in.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

My approach (not tested with a ton of trains yet though!) is to use a balancer to ensure that each cargo wagon gets its fair share of stuff, be it ore, green circuits, LDS, whatever the outpost is generating.

Then I wire each chest at the station together, and send the contents to an Arithmetic Combinator. Each / (whatever the train can hold), output Each. I send that amount to the train stop, for two things. First, Enable/Disable when (whatever the station is for) >= 1. Second, set the train stop limit to (whatever the station is for).

Example :
Copper Ore mining outpost has a station servicing a 4-8 train. Since each Cargo Wagon can hold 2000 ore, that is 16000 ore in total. Belt balancer ensures that each Cargo Wagon’s chest set gets 1/8 the ore produced by the miners. AC divides Each by 16000, outputs Each. Stop reads the Copper Ore signal, and uses that to both turn on (at least one train’s worth of ore present) and set the limit to the number of trains that may approach.

This should force trains to visit other Copper Ore stations when this one is running low. When its not? Honestly, I’m fine with the trains all thundering this way (up to the limit), as it usually gets a faster turn around time (time it takes a train to leave the unloading station, find a loading station with the goods, get there, load, and get back at least to the unloading station stacker).

Return to “Gameplay Help”