Loading Multiple Trains At Same Station

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Deltaglaze
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Loading Multiple Trains At Same Station

Post by Deltaglaze »

Hello folks. Looking for an answer to perhaps a simple scenario.

The setup: Have belts taking stone and stone bricks into chests at a train staion.

What I want: When first train pulls in, I want it to only load stone. When the second train pulls in, only load bricks.

What is happening: When either train pulls into the station, both stone and bricks get loaded.

How do I make it so that only one kind of material gets loaded onto a train? Or is this something that comes later in the game that I haven't found yet?
Been trying different wait conditions in the locomotive, but can't seem to get this to work. Or is it even possible?

Thanks for any replies, as the factory must continue to grow! Picture (hopefully) attached.
Factorio Train Stop.jpg
Factorio Train Stop.jpg (660.54 KiB) Viewed 2012 times

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Loading Multiple Trains At Same Station

Post by Trific »

That would involve using a combinator setup to enable the inserters based on the train ID. Very fragile and complicated to set up. Which is why the vast majority of players go with having two stations, one to load stone, and one to load bricks.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Filter the slots on the train wagon by middle clicking on one
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

One really cute way, given you've got 1-1 trains, is to have the stone train's locomotive in back, and the brick train's locomotive in front.

pichutarius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pichutarius »

Trific wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:01 am
That would involve using a combinator setup to enable the inserters based on the train ID. Very fragile and complicated to set up. Which is why the vast majority of players go with having two stations, one to load stone, and one to load bricks.
red wire is enough, no need combinator.

connect all inserters and train station.
train station: tick "read stopped train"
inserter: set enable condition to T = "train ID" (check train ID by pointing at the train)

to OP: there are many ways u can do it. filter cargo slot is probably easier and more practical. but doing circuit condition can serve as a simple exercise, to better understand how circuit condition work.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

The main risk of these methods (imo) is that inserters pick up one ressource, then can't load all they grabbed due a train being full and leaving, they won't put back the ressource in the chest, and when another train arrive, they would either drop the unwanted ressource on the cargo if you used circuit network as they don't need to be activated again for that, or they would get stuck not able to get rid of that wrong ressource and make the general setup slower, if you filtered the slots.

Those drawbacks can be somewhat mitigated with lowering the stack size of inserters and setting it to 1. And/or using circuit departure conditions so that trains don't leave when full but a little bit before to avoid inserters having left-over from one train to another.

Also there is another thing to consider, in most cases you'd expect inserters to be synchronized, but it won't be the case on low ressources situations (or uneven chest quantities in general), which adds another hard-to-predict parameter.

Overall making 2 stations is way easier, but is it as fun as modifying over and over a design to try and make it work ? i can't tell :)

Loading the 2 different ressources from the 2 sides of the train would allow inserters to only be used for one or the other ressources. To achieve similar result as this :
quyxkh wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:51 am
One really cute way, given you've got 1-1 trains, is to have the stone train's locomotive in back, and the brick train's locomotive in front.

You can also dedicate 3/6 chest to stone and 3/6 chest to stone brick, and load from the same side, at the cost of potential loading speed.

In your setup that is probably the easiest to implement by using filter inserter from the red belt to the chest. Filtering the wagons would then function with no risk of having all inserter stuck with an unwanted ressources.

Deltaglaze
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Deltaglaze »

My initial thought was going with the 2-station setup, but wanted to see if it could be done with just one. I haven't jumped into the world of circuits and combinators yet, so I may try my hand at that and see how it goes using the option suggested by pichutarius. Kudos to AmericanPatriot for pointing out that you can filter the wagon slots. I had no idea this could be done and that may change a few things for me elsewhere in the setup!

Thanks to you all for the responses. This insight will definitely help with the build. Cheers!

Return to “Gameplay Help”