Help me figure out maps and the editor.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
tonberrytoby
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Help me figure out maps and the editor.

Post by tonberrytoby »

So, I tried to start a game but the map generator annoyed me. So I tried to modify a map.

I generated a map from the map editor. With terrain features on very small and water on frequent, so that I will get some water nearby.
I got maps like this generally: http://i.imgur.com/sNwZYsl.jpg

Then I wanted to modify this to add a lake.
But I didn't remember the correct controls. Your can't check the settings for the controls from the editor and I couldn't find the controls on the wiki.
Then I tried to exit the editor. I found out you can't save the map without first placing a player.
Then I actually tried to do some editing. I deleted a creeper tower and got a segmentation fault.

How can I get a playable map?

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Help me figure out maps and the editor.

Post by slpwnd »

tonberrytoby wrote:So, I tried to start a game but the map generator annoyed me. So I tried to modify a map.

I generated a map from the map editor. With terrain features on very small and water on frequent, so that I will get some water nearby.
I got maps like this generally: http://i.imgur.com/sNwZYsl.jpg
The map generation has it quirks. It is definitely one of the things to look at. Actually it was changed some time ago to produce better looking terrain (more coherent pieces of terrain). And now it needs to be tuned. I generated the map with water set to very frequent and got almost never ending sea. Then I set it to frequent and there was hardly any water:|
tonberrytoby wrote:Then I wanted to modify this to add a lake.
But I didn't remember the correct controls. Your can't check the settings for the controls from the editor and I couldn't find the controls on the wiki.
Sorry about that. It is not documented anywhere. I think it is about time to put the map editor controls into the control settings page.
But the basic trick is to use key E for a map editor gui from which you can place tiles / entities and items. X on the other hand deletes an object.
tonberrytoby wrote:Then I actually tried to do some editing. I deleted a creeper tower and got a segmentation fault.

There is a bug when selecting the enemy tower. This will be fixed for the 0.5.1.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

slpwnd wrote:The map generation has it quirks. It is definitely one of the things to look at. Actually it was changed some time ago to produce better looking terrain (more coherent pieces of terrain). And now it needs to be tuned. I generated the map with water set to very frequent and got almost never ending sea. Then I set it to frequent and there was hardly any water:|
It definitly has some quirks. This is what I got:
http://imgur.com/KcZdBwj

I'm also ataching savegame which might help you out by figuring why did this happen.
Map generation settings:
default except water frequency was set to Very Rare, infinite map size

EDIT: Got similar result again. Also after about 20 more tries tries I couldn't get any map generated with athleast some water in it even with changing map generation parameters.
Infact by some observation it seems that those parameters doesn't even affect map ganeration but I may be wrong.
Adding another savegame.
Attachments
BuggedMapGeneration2.zip
Another savegame showing bug in map generation algorithm
(847.13 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
BuggedMapGeneration.zip
Savegame as an example of posible bug in map generation algorithm
(729.98 KiB) Downloaded 267 times

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

LoL so the control settings for the map editor are in the controls settings gui already=) Then it is enough to add the options section into the map editor gui.

Return to “Gameplay Help”