how to avoid inserters with partial hand contents when refueling trains

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
torvawk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

how to avoid inserters with partial hand contents when refueling trains

Post by torvawk »

While this shows up best using TSM's fuel stop, this is a general question on preventing inserters from having partial hand contents while refueling mixed size trains. For this question, I am working with 1-x-1 trains. I have a general stop for refueling them with stack inserters. The problem arises when a smaller train comes in and refuels. Due to an unknown amount of fuel on the train and no way to read the fuel levels in the train, I don't see any way of setting stack sizes to fuel the train precisely. As a result, it often leaves the inserter hand with some leftover contents that gets immediately inserted into the next train. In the case of a larger train, that could be a wagon.

The only workable solution I could come up with and set the stack sizes to one for all the inserters except for the engines on my largest trains. I am looking for a solution that still lets me make use of larger stack sizes and not get fuel into random wagons in my train system.

I know, for refueling trains, is it really needed to load it fast with full stacks. No. Do I want to try? Yes. Here is my little station. It does use TSM. You could do something similar using rail signals too. I am by no means a newbie. But I am looking for some advice from some of our more experienced players.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: how to avoid inserters with partial hand contents when refueling trains

Post by 5thHorseman »

The only thing I can think that would fix that would be to filter every train wagon that could get that fuel, to not allow that fuel to be put in it.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

5thHorseman wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:12 am
The only thing I can think that would fix that would be to filter every train wagon that could get that fuel, to not allow that fuel to be put in it.
Honestly, if they're single-cargo wagons (which is pretty common) you should be filtering them anyway, just as a firebreak against contamination.

@torvawk: Are the engines both facing the same direction, or reversed? If it's a single-headed train, you could move to a 2-x layout, which would mean your locomotive slips would always be in the same place.

Another option would be to move purely to nuclear fuel and, as you say, limit the stack size to 1 (nuclear fuel inherently stack to only 1, but better safe than sorry). Would also be feasible for rocket fuel as long as the trains aren't making particularly long trips, though I wouldn't recommend with coal or solid fuel.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

random suggestions:

1. make fuel stops for each size of trains
2. use only one size of trains (1 compared to 3 cargo waggons does not hurt the train perfomance a lot)
2a. increase the buffer storage and use larger trains, this reduces traffic
3. switch to trains that can only drive in one direction, the loco will always be in the same place.
4. filter every cargo wagon and limit the stack size to 1
5. use top tier fuel to compensate for larger trains

Sometimes its good to think on a bigger scale. Setting it up takes some time and some resources, but it usually pays of quickly.

Durr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Durr »

I found that having a single refuel depot that all trains go to does not scale well. I use a single refueling train that brings fuel to all my other stations. Assuming the normal stations have the same train configurations visiting them, you can have bots or belts bring fuel from that refueling train to the loco positions at each station.
Tired of manually backing up your saves? Check this out! -> Factorio Backup

Return to “Gameplay Help”